Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
InterReligious Dialogue
 Whyislam.org Forums : General : InterReligious Dialogue
Message Icon Topic: Mary’s Story: Striking Similarity of Bible & Quran Post Reply Post New Topic
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Forum Rating: 159
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Topic: Mary’s Story: Striking Similarity of Bible & Quran
    Posted: 18 December 2017 at 1:13pm
This article is written by Theresa, a former Catholic who converted to Islam:

Mary’s (PBUH) encounter with the angel Gabriel is strikingly similar in the Quran and the Bible.

Angel Gabriel said to Mary in the Quran:

Behold! the angels said: “O Mary! Allah has chosen you and purified you – chosen you above the women of all nations.” (Quran 3:42)

And in the Bible:

The angel went to her and said, “Greetings, you who are highly favored! The Lord is with you.” (Luke 1:28)

Angel Gabriel reveals to Mary (PBUH) her child:

Behold! The angels said: “O Mary! Allah gives you glad tidings of a Word from Him: his name will be Christ Jesus, the son of Mary, held in honor in this world and the Hereafter and of (the company of) those nearest to Allah” (Quran 3:45)

And this is also related in the Bible:

Mary was greatly troubled at his words and wondered what kind of greeting this might be. But the angel said to her, “Do not be afraid, Mary, you have found favor with God. You will be with child and give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus.” (Luke 1:29-31)

In the Quran, God relates how Mary was confused by God’s creation of a human being without intercourse or a father...

http://aboutislam.net/reading-islam/understanding-islam/the-story-of-mary-in-the-bible-and-the-quran/

Think Win-Win for a better world for all...

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
Damo808  
Mureed
Mureed

Religion: Christian(Catholic)
Forum Rating: 0
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Damo808 Replybullet Posted: 18 December 2017 at 5:04pm
Its only similar in those two verses. You ended with verse 31, but if you had included the next line number 32 the gulf in teaching is clear.

32 states:"He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest: and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of his father David"

Verse 35 even more so:

"And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God".
out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be the ruler in Israel: and his going forth is from the beginning, from the days of eternity. Micah 5:5
Traveller  
Graduate
Graduate

Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Traveller Replybullet Posted: 18 December 2017 at 11:55pm
Originally posted by Damo808

32 states:"He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest: and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of his father David"

Let's look at that in perspective. That verse doesn't negate the Quranic version of the story.

As for the throne, that's in the 2nd coming.
In life, be like a traveller. Take only what you need
Traveller  
Graduate
Graduate

Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Traveller Replybullet Posted: 18 December 2017 at 11:57pm

"And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God".

It's a graphical representation of a spiritual event, but essentially, that verse doesn't negate the Quran.
Damo808  
Mureed
Mureed

Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Damo808 Replybullet Posted: 19 December 2017 at 6:09am
Originally posted by Traveller

It's a graphical representation of a spiritual event, but essentially, that verse doesn't negate the Quran.

The Quran says what it does.. Therefore the Bible must clearly be speaking of a completely different individual. One is recognised as a Son of God in the latter and the other in the Quran is not. That to most is fairly obvious.
out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be the ruler in Israel: and his going forth is from the beginning, from the days of eternity. Micah 5:5
Traveller  
Graduate
Graduate

Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Traveller Replybullet Posted: 19 December 2017 at 8:55am

The Quran says what it does.. Therefore the Bible must clearly be speaking of a completely different individual. One is recognised as a Son of God in the latter and the other in the Quran is not. That to most is fairly obvious.

To the uninformed, maybe.

Only the terminology is different but both, son of God (Biblical) and muqarrabin (Quranic) are referring to one and the same. The son of Mary upon whom be peace is given that title in the Quran, as in chapter 3 verse 45.

[And mention> when the angels said, "O Mary, indeed Allah gives you good tidings of a word from Him, whose name will be the Messiah, Jesus, the son of Mary - distinguished in this world and the Hereafter and among those brought near [to Allah >.

Those brought near = son of God. Yes, it is an unheard of interpretation, coz it's my own , but many may agree with me. Let's start with you, what do you say?

Damo808  
Mureed
Mureed

Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Damo808 Replybullet Posted: 19 December 2017 at 1:11pm

To the uninformed, maybe.

One is uninformed only until they actually read the verses. No further commentary or understanding is necessary to distinguish that both descriptions of the supposed same individual are poles apart by how He is defined respectively. No mystery or greater understanding is required to see that, to present it as so is mere bluster.

Only the terminology is different but both, son of God (Biblical) and muqarrabin (Quranic) are referring to one and the same. The son of Mary upon whom be peace is given that title in the Quran, as in chapter 3 verse 45.

[And mention> when the angels said, "O Mary, indeed Allah gives you good tidings of a word from Him, whose name will be the Messiah, Jesus, the son of Mary - distinguished in this world and the Hereafter and among those brought near [to Allah >.

Those brought near = son of God. Yes, it is an unheard of interpretation, coz it's my own , but many may agree with me. Let's start with you, what do you say?

I don't think there's much i need to add. The only similarities is that a Virgin gave birth. Beyond that i see nothing comparable.

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Rating: 159
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 20 December 2017 at 3:57am
<<The only similarities is that a Virgin gave birth>>

At least we do agree on something

Finally after all these years

Think Win-Win for a better world for all...

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version