Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Learn about Islam
 Whyislam.org Forums : Learn About Islam : Learn about Islam
Message Icon Topic: Talks & Thoughts by Dr. Sherman Jackson Post Reply Post New Topic
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Forum Rating: 159
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Topic: Talks & Thoughts by Dr. Sherman Jackson
    Posted: 24 December 2017 at 2:26am

Dr. Sherman Jackson is the King Faisal Chair of Islamic Thought and Culture, and Professor of Religion and American Studies and Ethnicity at the University of Southern California (USC).

He was formerly the Arthur F. Thurnau Professor of Near Eastern Studies and Visiting Professor of Law and Professor of Afro-American Studies at the University of Michigan (Ann Arbor).

Dr. Jackson received his Ph.D. from the University of Pennsylvania and has taught at the University of Texas at Austin, Indiana University, Wayne State University and the University of Michigan.

From 1987 to 1989, he served as Executive Director of the Center of Arabic Study Abroad in Cairo, Egypt.

He is the author of several books, including Islamic Law and the State: The Constitutional Jurisprudence of Shihâb al-Dîn al-Qarâfî (E.J. Brill, 1996), On the Boundaries of Theological Tolerance in Islam: Abű Hâmid al-Ghazâlî’s Faysal al-Tafriqa (Oxford, 2002), Islam and the Blackamerican: Looking Towards the Third Resurrection (Oxford, 2005) Islam and the Problem of Black Suffering (Oxford, 2009), and most recently Sufism for Non-Sufis? Ibn ‘Ata’ Allah al-Sakandari’s Taj al-‘Arus (Oxford, 2012).

Dr. Jackson is a co-founder, Core Scholar, and member of the Board of Trustees of the American Learning Institute for Muslims (ALIM), an academic institution where scholars, professionals, activists, artists, writers, and community leaders come together to develop strategies for the future of Islam in the modern world.

https://www.alimprogram.org/scholars/dr-sherman-jackson/

This is a first talk he gave in Toronto, Canada, a few years ago titled "Changing the Present, Dreaming the Future"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boyiIaw7z9E

(31 minutes)

Think Win-Win for a better world for all...

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 24 December 2017 at 4:16am
Reclaiming Our Faith: Lecture 7 by Dr. Sherman Jackson

Sherman Jackson of the University of Southern California delivers a lecture entitled, "Whither the Modern Muslim: Negotiating Creed, Theology, & Spirituality".

From the Zaytuna conference, Reclaiming Our Faith: Negotiating Modern Theological Fault Lines held in Anaheim, California on May 25, 2013.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIRtp9KZzUc

(37 minutes)

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 25 December 2017 at 5:13am
Pluralism and Islam

Is Islam opposed to a pluralistic society like America?

Listen to Dr. Sherman Jackson's explanation on the relationship between Islam and pluralism!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYEsviZGwWE

(5 minutes)

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 25 December 2017 at 5:24am
Racism Can Only Be Cured by Virtue

Dr. Sherman Abdul Hakim Jackson explains that racism cannot be cured by human rights, but inculcating akhlaq (character).

He points out the hypocrisy in human rights discourse as a symptom of weak akhlaq.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baCi0fxWKcc

(3 minutes)

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 26 December 2017 at 4:24am
United We Stand: One Nation

United For Change 3rd Annual Conference: "United We Stand: One Nation, One Destiny"

For Muslims to be united with others in this country we need to view ourselves as legitimate Americans.

In this challenging lecture, Dr. Sherman Jackson examines the idea of Muslim membership in the American family and the rights and privileges accruing from that membership.

Perhaps, more importantly, he examines the consequences of exclusion and marginalization for both ours and future generations of American Muslims.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z63l6DAIvtA

(34 minutes)

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 28 December 2017 at 3:06am
An Intimate Conversation with Dr. Sherman Jackson

Ta'leef Collective presents "An Intimate Conversation" with DR. SHERMAN JACKSON and USAMA CANON (Ta'leef Collective Founding Director).

Usama Canon interviews Dr. Sherman Jackson about his new book "Sufism for Non-Sufis."

Dr. Jackson discusses the need for the Muslim community to address the issues surrounding the rectifying and reforming our character.

Dr. Jackson contends that unless we confront the issues surrounding the refinement of the self and obedience to Allah, that very little will change in our individual or collective body.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIRAUyYs94c

(40 minutes)

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 29 December 2017 at 1:07pm
SHERMAN JACKSON, University of Southern California

Peace in Islam,

Islam in Peace is the inaugural event of the Islamic Peace Studies Initiative— a new project launched by the Center for Middle Eastern & North African Studies (CMENAS) at the University of Michigan and directed by Juan Cole, CMENAS director and Richard P. Mitchell Professor of History.

The initiative seeks to promote academic research in the field of Islam and peace studies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYQOOzkJPBA

(73 minutes)

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 30 December 2017 at 5:53am
Insights with Dr. Sherman Jackson

In this short video, Dr. Jackson shares some of his insights on why some misunderstand his views on being an American Muslim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUnRWRe3Hl8

(6 minutes)

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 05 January 2018 at 1:44pm
Sherman Jackson: A short introduction to Islam

Sherman Jackson, the King Faisal Chair in Islamic Thought and Culture and Professor of Religion and American Studies and Ethnicity in USC Dornsife teaches a GE course, Introduction to Islam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3LOYq2zG78

(2 minutes)

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 08 January 2018 at 10:38am
Muhammad Ali: Courage & Principled Service

Dr Sherman Abdul-Hakim Jackson reflects upon the impact of Muhammad Ali and the value of sincere, principled service.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naAZj8SzlBc

(7 minutes)

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 05 February 2018 at 3:39am
The American Muslim Experience From Identity to Community

This is a talk by Dr. Abdal Hakim Jackson at RIS, California, 2010

15:19 "My primary commitment is to Islam. And it's not to the American State. Nor is it to any other state, nor will it ever be to any other state ... Including a so-called Islamic State.

My primary commitment is to living my life in a manner that God and his Messenger have prescribed for me to live my life. And that means, that sometimes ... that means sometimes, yes I'm going to speak FOR society.

When society needs to be spoken for. And I'm going to speak even FOR the American State, when the American State needs to be spoken for. But sometimes, I'm going to have to stand up and I'm going to have to speak AGAINST American Society and AGAINST the American State in order to live my life in a manner that earns GOD's pleasure.

That's what I mean when I say that my primary loyalty, my primary commitment is to Islam and not to ANY state. And those LIARS who are out there, I want you to hear what I say. Not only the American State, even an Islamic State.

I will never prostitute my religion just to hand it over to some state to do whatever it wants to do with it as some kind of free permission to just go on and abuse people in the name of religion. I won't do it. That's not where my primary commitment is."

18:04 "I believe in a form of patriotism that takes off on a statement that we get from the Prophet Muhammad (SAW).

Where he says ... 'Help your brother whether he is right or wrong.' ... Then they said to the Prophet 'Oh Rasool-Allah, we know what you mean when you say help your Brother if he is right. But how can we help our Brother if he is wrong?' What did the Prophet tell them? 'You help you Brother when he is wrong by stopping him from being wrong.'

That is the form of patriotism that I believe in. I will help my country, I will help my society as long as it is right. And when they are wrong, I will stand up and say 'You are wrong'. And I will do so, not in an attempt to destroy or undermine you. I will do so out of a sense of DUTY to the place that I call home."

22:22 "Our country needs us, and it needs us to stand up. And if we're going to stand up, we have to have something that we are going to stand up in the name of. And if we have compromised away all of the principles that define our religion as what it is, then we don't have anything to stand up in the name of. All we have are interests and no principles. And that is what we have to, we have to avoid."

34:56 "Listen to what I'm about to say, because the problems that we have had as a community is that we have had no historical consciousness. We have not understood conversion to Islam as a process, we've understood it as an event, and it's never been that way, not even in the time of the Prophet (SAW). This is one of our first mistakes ...

It takes communities time to find itself in a position of orthodoxy. And we as a Muslim community need to understand that, and we need to understand how to chaperone these communities along that track. Not to come in and bust them all upside the head 'You ain't no Muslims.' And then destroy the very process by which they might arrive at that.

44:56 "And this is the second mistake that we as a Muslim community made in America. Arrogance. We did not have the courage and humility to say; Yes, we may understand Islam, but we know very little about America. We don't understand what's going on here. Let us ask. Let's ask our Muslim Brothers and Sisters who are already here. Let us find out what's going on. This is the second mistake."

45:37 "The third mistake that we made was that we lost our ability to distinguish between non-Muslim and un-Islamic. The people who came to this country from the Muslim world, they understood Islam, and therefore the Islamic, in the cultural terms with which they had grown up ... And if Islam and Islamic is what we do back in Pakistan or Egypt or whatever, then the American is un-Islamic ... And we could not understand that many things that non-Muslims do may be non-Muslim, but that doesn't mean they are un-Islamic."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpGyLA_8QAc

(50 minutes)

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 06 February 2018 at 3:35am
Islam and the Problem of Black Suffering

Lynching, Slavery, Racism, and Oppression! These are experiences that African-Americans will never forget.

It is an American historical reflection that has impacted the relationships between blacks and whites.

As Muslims, an extremely important questions must be raised. How does this history impact our religious reflection? In historical contemplation, how do we respond to the questions: “If God is All-good then how did He permit an evil like slavery to exist?”

“Where was God when African-Americans were being lynched and tortured?”

“Why did the All-Merciful God permit such oppression?”

In Black Christian discourse, these questions led to a critical response from William R Jones in his 1973 book: “Is God a White Racist”.

In this book, Jones argues that we need a ‘humanocentric theism’ that denies the sovereignty of God over human history and actions and restricts God’s power to nature.

How do we as Muslims respond to this??

Dr Sherman Abdul-Hakim Jackson responds to these questions in this fascinating online seminar on his book, “Islam & The Problem of Black Suffering”.

This recorded online session introduces us to the book and provides insights has to how Islam answers the questions in relation to God and human suffering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yx7ZBtlViyM

(4 minutes)

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version