Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Current Events
 Whyislam.org Forums : General : Current Events
Message Icon Topic: Climate Change Post Reply Post New Topic
Doris  
Sophmore Member
Sophmore Member

Religion: Agnostic(Agnostic)
Forum Rating: 0
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Doris Replybullet Topic: Climate Change
    Posted: 08 January 2018 at 5:56pm
or global warming, if you prefer.

What is the Islamic position on fighting this likely menace to the future of human kind?

Since clearly the growing population of the earth is one of the principal causes of this problem, what is the Islamic position on limiting this growth or limiting family size?
History Buff
No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Forum Rating: 159
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 09 January 2018 at 2:30am
Originally posted by Doris

or global warming, if you prefer.

What is the Islamic position on fighting this likely menace to the future of human kind?

Since clearly the growing population of the earth is one of the principal causes of this problem, what is the Islamic position on limiting this growth or limiting family size?

The current financial system is mare dangerous to global warming than growing populations.

You may wish to check this webinar titled (Interest-Based Finance and Global Warming: Making the Connection):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzaC4DuGH0A

Fix the global banking and financial system to make it sustainable, and this will help solve global warming

Think Win-Win for a better world for all...

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 09 January 2018 at 4:11am
And another way to reduce climate change is to reduce pollution.

And one way of doing that is through spreading the use and applications of renewable sources of energy, like solar and wind power.

Would you agree?

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Doris  
Sophmore Member
Sophmore Member

Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Doris Replybullet Posted: 09 January 2018 at 9:47am
Of course I would agree, but would the oil rich nations of the Middle East agree? Would their subsidiaries and allies?

A restaurant I frequent boasts that it is entirely powered by wind. I like that.

However there is now the habitat problem.
The issues are endlessly intertwined.
History Buff
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 10 January 2018 at 2:39am
Yes, clean renewable sources of energy are part of the solution, and also a shift to electric cars, but we also need a new business model.

Profit maximization leads to aggressive marketing campaigns, like (Shop till you Drop), and over-consumption is one of the reasons our planet is in this mess.

The new business model promoted by experts in Islamic Finance is one which replaces interest-based finance with real sharing of business risks between entrepreneurs and owners of capital...

If the financial system is fair, sustainable and efficient, and we get rid of the big monopolies, the remaining parts of the business equation will lead to less consumption and to a more sustainable situation with less pollution and more nature conservation.

We also need to change what we teach at Business School about short-term profits, and become more concerned with the long term impacts of business strategy and decisions.

Finally, more efforts for protecting the environment is a must, and helping developing countries develop and grow in a sustainable way (instead of giving them huge bank loans with compound interest they can never repay) is another priority for our global world to survive.

So in one short sentence: solve the problem of human greed.

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Damo808  
Mureed
Mureed

Religion: Christian(Catholic)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Damo808 Replybullet Posted: 11 January 2018 at 10:09am
We'll be extraterrestrials soon... soon enough to avert over-population I dono. Also vertical farming and lab grown meat is the future.
out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be the ruler in Israel: and his going forth is from the beginning, from the days of eternity. Micah 5:5
Doris  
Sophmore Member
Sophmore Member

Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Doris Replybullet Posted: 11 January 2018 at 8:24pm
I agree that humans are inventive. We've survived so far because of individuals who saw problems and solved them. There seem to be more such individuals all the time, so maybe it's not yet time for me to invest in beach property on the Hudson Bay.

One of my biggest regrets about being so old is that I won't see the cosmological discoveries that are just on the horizon. As Al C would say, God's universe is beautiful.

I'm very optimistic about the future, if only the world can avoid any more wars. We people have got to stop hating those who are different from us. Our world wide goal should be to see that everyone has the opportunity to live comfortably and advance his/her situation as abilities permit.
History Buff
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 12 January 2018 at 3:21am
Originally posted by Doris

I'm very optimistic about the future, if only the world can avoid any more wars. We people have got to stop hating those who are different from us. Our world wide goal should be to see that everyone has the opportunity to live comfortably and advance his/her situation as abilities permit.

Agree with you there Doris

And another important way to avoid wars is through establishing justice on earth: all types of justice.

- Social justice by helping the needy out of poverty

- Economic justice by ending big monopolies and unfair trade and finance practices which make the rich richer and the poor poorer

- Political justice by making sure that veto powers do not lead to global injustices and that the rule of international Law is implemented between all nations, small or big

- Environmental justice by protecting our planet and sharing our natural resources in a fair way

Think Win-Win based on justice & compassion, and all our global problems can be solved

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Corinna  
Graduate
Graduate

Religion: Judaism(Orthodox)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Corinna Replybullet Posted: 24 February 2018 at 12:20am
Countries would need to consult with Israel in situations to deal with so called 'global warming' since it is the leader in confronting that sort of problem. I doubt some countries, esp in the ME, will do that.  Shame. 

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 24 February 2018 at 3:26am
UNEP is the UN Specialized Agency for the Environment:

https://www.unenvironment.org/

United Nations Environmental Program

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version