Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Ramadan Topics
 Whyislam.org Forums : Learn About Islam : Ramadan Topics
Message Icon Topic: Non-Muslim British Expat Has Not Missed Ramadan... Post Reply Post New Topic
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Forum Rating: 159
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Topic: Non-Muslim British Expat Has Not Missed Ramadan...
    Posted: 05 June 2018 at 5:50am

Non-Muslim British Expat Has Not Missed Ramadan for 20 Years

DUBAI – Long-term British expatriate Nick Watson has been living in the Emirates for 20 years and so far, he hasn’t missed one Ramadan.

“While living in the UK, my exposure to Ramadan was limited, though I was familiar with the basic concept of the Muslim tradition. My perception of the month of fasting has changed dramatically since coming here in 1998,” Watson told Khaleej Times on June 3.

When Watson and his wife, Delphine, first moved to Dubai, they felt Ramadan was a lot quieter and took some adjusting to.

“20 years ago, the majority of food and beverage outlets closed. It was a new experience for us. We really wanted to learn and understand more about Ramadan but we were a tad nervous in the first year in case we broke any rules that we weren’t aware of. We didn’t want to be disrespectful,” the non-Muslim expat expressed.

But with their curiosity piqued, they were keen to immerse themselves in the holy month as a way of familiarizing themselves with the culture and traditions of their new surroundings.

Working as a personal trainer, Watson decided to join his clients in observing the fast. “In those days, when we first arrived, I worked as a personal trainer and had many Emirati clients, so out of respect and curiosity, I used to join them in fasting through the day.”...

Think Win-Win for a better world for all...

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version