Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Learn about Islam
 Whyislam.org Forums : Learn About Islam : Learn about Islam
Message Icon Topic: Talks by Sheikh Asim Yusuf Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Forum Rating: 159
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Topic: Talks by Sheikh Asim Yusuf
    Posted: 15 September 2018 at 6:58am
Dr. Asim Yusuf is a teacher, author vocalist and medical doctor.

He was born in London and grew up in Manchester, before emigrating to South Africa with his family for a ten year stay.

He has been studying the sacred sciences for many years with many notable scholars including Al-Allama Rasool Bakhsh Saeedi, Shaykh Muhammad al-Yaqoubi amongst others.

He is the academic director of the Path to Salvation (www.pathtosalvation.co.uk), an integrative modular syllabus of Islamic studies.

He has been authorized to instruct students in a number of Islamic sciences, and currently teaches theology, jurisprudence, spirituality, tafsir and hadith.

Dr. Asim is also a member of the Royal College of Psychiatrists and is currently pursuing his Masters in Medical Education.

In this first talk, Sheikh Asim deals with the topic of the fate of non-Muslims on the Day of Judgment:

Imam Ghazali on What Happens to Non-Muslims

(10 minutes)

Think Win-Win for a better world for all...

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 16 September 2018 at 1:39pm
Would you have been a Muslim?

(8 minutes)

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 18 September 2018 at 5:51am
Biography of Imam Al-Ghazali (Lesson 1)

Muhammad ibn Muhammad ibn Muhammad ibn Ahmad, Abu Hamid al-Tusi al-Ghazzali [or al-Ghazali] al-Shafi‘i (450-505), "the Proof of Islam" (Hujjat al-Islam), "Ornament of the Faith," "Gatherer of the Multifarious Sciences," "Great Siddîq," absolute mujtahid, a major Shafi‘i jurist, heresiographer and debater, expert in the principles of doctrine and those of jurisprudence.

Shaykh Yusuf al-Qaradawi stated that, like ‘Umar ibn ‘Abd al-‘Aziz and al-Shafi‘i for their respective times, al-Ghazzali is unanimously considered the Renewer of the Fifth Islamic Century.

Ibn al-Subki writes: "He came at a time when people stood in direr need of replies against the philosophers than the darkest night stands in need of the light of the moon and stars."

Among his teachers in law, debate, and principles: Ahmad ibn Muhammad al-Râdhakâni in Tus, Abu Nasr al-Isma‘ili in Jurjan, and Imam al-Haramayn Abu al-Ma‘ali al-Juwayni in Naysabur, from where he departed to Baghdad after the latter’s death.

Ibn ‘Asakir also mentions that al-Ghazzali took al-Bukhari’s Sahih from Abu Sahl Muhammad ibn Ahmad al-Hafsi. Among his other shaykhs in hadith were Nasr ibn ‘Ali ibn Ahmad al-Hakimi al-Tusi, ‘Abd Allah ibn Muhammad ibn Ahmad al-Khawari, Muhammad ibn Yahya ibn Muhammad al-Suja`i al-Zawzani, the hadith master Abu al-Fityan ‘Umar ibn Abi al-Hasan al-Ru’asi al-Dahistani, and Nasr ibn Ibrahim al-Maqdisi.

Among his shaykhs in tasawwuf were al-Fadl ibn Muhammad ibn ‘Ali al-Farmadi al-Tusi – one of Abu al-Qasim al-Qushayri’s students – and Yusuf al-Sajjaj.

On his way back from Jurjan to Tus al-Ghazzali was robbed by highwaymen. When they left him he followed them but was told: "Leave us or you will die." He replied: "I ask you for Allah’ sake to only return to me my notes, for they are of no use to you." The robber asked him: "What are those notes?" He said: "Books in that satchel, for the sake of which I left my country in order to hear, write, and obtain their knowledge." The robber laughed and said: "How can you claim that you obtained their knowledge when we took it away from you and left you devoid of knowl-edge!" Then he gave an order and the satchel was returned to him.

Al-Ghazzali said: "This man’s utterance was divinely inspired (hâdhâ mustantaqun): Allah caused him to say this in order to guide me. When I reached Tus I worked for three years until I had memorized all that I had written down."

Al-Ghazzali came to Baghdad in 484 and began a prestigious career of teaching, giving fatwa, and authoring books in nearly all the Islamic sciences of his day. His skill in refuting opponents was unparalleled except by his superlative godwariness, which led him to abandon his teaching position at the Nizamiyya school four years later, deputizing his brother Ahmad, famous for his preaching, to replace him.

Upon completion of pilgrimage to Mecca al-Ghazzali headed for Damascus, then al-Qudus, then Damascus again where he remained for several years, taking up the ascetic life with the words: "We sought after knowledge for other than Allah’s sake, but He refused that it be for anything other than Him."

He came out of seclusion in 499 and travelled to Cairo, Iskandariyya and other places, finally returning to Baghdad where he taught his magnum opus Ihya’ ‘Ulum al-Din until his death in nearby Tus, occupying the remainder of his time with devotions, Qur’an recitations, prayer and fasting, and the company of Sufis.

Ibn al-Jawzi narrated in al-Thabat ‘Inda al-Mamat ("Firmness at the Time of Death") from al-Ghazzali’s brother Ahmad: "On Monday [14 Jumada al-Akhira] at the time of the dawn prayer my brother Abu Hamid made his ablution, prayed, then said: ‘Bring me my shroud.’ He took it, kissed it and put it on his eyes, saying: ‘We hear and obey in readiness to enter the King’s presence.’ Then he stretched his legs, facing the Qibla, and died before sunrise – may Allah sanctify his soul!"

(69 minutes)

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 27 October 2018 at 4:36am
What British Muslims Really Do | Episode 5: Shaykh Dr Asim Yusuf

Watch Shaykh Asim's featured interview with Imam Adam Kelwick.

Learn more about his work as a consultant psychiatrist and classically trained scholar helping Muslims and Non-Muslims alike.

(9 minutes)

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 31 October 2018 at 8:38am
Interesting Interview with Sheikh Asim:

What British Muslims Really Do

Watch Shaykh Asim's featured interview with Imam Adam Kelwick.

Learn more about his work as a consultant psychiatrist and classically trained scholar helping Muslims and Non-Muslims alike.

(9 minutes)

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 15 November 2018 at 5:08am
Communal & Universal Rahmah (Compassion/Mercy)

A better translation of the word Rahmah is Empathetic and altruistic love

"This trait of rahmah is not a small thing. The reason this hadith is taught first to a student of knowledge is to set their course.

When you hear this hadith from your teacher, he is knocking your arrow onto a bow and releasing it. Your course is set by this hadith."

(18 minutes)

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 24 November 2018 at 3:52am
Post Madhab World: Why our Fiqh is Pre-Industrial

(4 minutes)

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 29 November 2018 at 4:21am
How Fiqh Was Formed

Considering the determinants of legal reasoning in the modern age with a case study on prayer times from his book Shedding Light on the Dawn Presentation of an academic paper followed by Q & A and discussion

(5 minutes)

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 30 November 2018 at 4:31am
Ramifications of Faith

(31 minutes)

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 13 December 2018 at 4:22am
The Mad, the Sad, the Bad and the Glad

Asim Yusuf, MD - "‘The Mad, the Sad, the Bad and the Glad’:

Towards an Islamic Conception of Mental Illness and Wellbeing, Vice and Virtue"

(46 minutes)

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Win-Win  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Rating: 0
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Win-Win Replybullet Posted: 19 February 2019 at 6:36am
Why We Need Religion?

(5 minutes)

Win-Win  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Win-Win Replybullet Posted: 20 February 2019 at 2:45am
How Polytheism Spread

Excerpt from Seekers Hub Course Seminar.

(10 minutes)

Win-Win  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Win-Win Replybullet Posted: 02 March 2019 at 5:24am
How To Read The Universe

(Audio - 13 minutes)

Win-Win  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Win-Win Replybullet Posted: 04 March 2019 at 3:02am
Early Teachings of The Prophet

Lessons from the Makkah Sirah

The aim is to bring out aspects of perfected Prophetic character that manifested in these phases of the sirah, and draw lessons from them.

The purpose is not to focus on merely narrating the sirah, but analysing it to glean aspects of Prophetic character that we can implement in our own lives.

(33 minutes)

Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version