Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
InterReligious Dialogue
 Whyislam.org Forums : General : InterReligious Dialogue  
Message Icon Topic: Judaism Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 2
Shenango  
Mureed
Mureed
Religion: Islam(Sunni)
Forum Rating: 0
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Shenango Replybullet Posted: 24 January 2019 at 12:06am
Originally posted by The_Rock

I can because I am christian. You know as little about christianity as you do about judaism{/QUOTE]

Care to enlighten me?

[quote]
So let me ask you, when Jesus (AS) returns to earth to set things aright, is he going to treat all religions equally, or will he give Christians preference? Is a Hindu polytheist giving the same quality of worship to God that an orthodox Jew might?

Wow, Jesus (AS) has no religious favorites, huh?
"I mean, brothers and sisters, the appointed time has grown short; from now on, let even those who have wives be as though they had none"--Paul c. 55 CE
No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
The_Rock
Mureed
Mureed

Religion: Christian(Catholic)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote The_Rock Replybullet Posted: 24 January 2019 at 1:05pm
No. Not according to the catholic understanding of the faith.

Please read.
Magister
Mureed
Mureed
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Magister Replybullet Posted: 24 January 2019 at 9:27pm
Rock, so the Catholic understanding of the faith allows for Muslims to enter heaven without being baptized or members of the RCC?

Sweet! Now I can cross that, Judaism, and the various pagan religions off my list!
Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven
Jo M
Freshman
Freshman

Religion: Christian(Protestant)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Jo M Replybullet Posted: 17 February 2019 at 4:49pm
There's a vital point been missed in all this. Christianity is Judaism. St Paul is crystal clear on that point in his writing.

The key difference is that Christians believe that God's promises to Abraham and the Jewish people were completed in Jesus; and that Jesus was the presence of God amongst His people that had been long expected.

Christianity is Judaism with some boxes ticked.
Shenango  
Mureed
Mureed
Religion: Islam(Sunni)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Shenango Replybullet Posted: 17 February 2019 at 11:10pm
Originally posted by Jo M

There's a vital point been missed in all this. Christianity is Judaism.

Well, Christianity certainly employs Jewish theology as its own backbone, but I balk at anyone who fails to notice the reformations to it that were made by Paul while at the same time explaining that all Jesus (AS) was doing was completing it. What Paul claimed and what Paul did are two different things. I think most people recognize Christianity as a separate religion from Judaism, and with good reason.
"I mean, brothers and sisters, the appointed time has grown short; from now on, let even those who have wives be as though they had none"--Paul c. 55 CE
Jo M
Freshman
Freshman

Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Jo M Replybullet Posted: 18 February 2019 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by Shenango

What Paul claimed and what Paul did are two different things.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Paul lived his life by his beliefs- and suffered terribly for it (2 Cor 11),

I think most people recognize Christianity as a separate religion from Judaism, and with good reason.

The reasons that most people think they are separate religions are due to subsequent centuries of history, in which Christianity lost sight of its roots. This has become down the time a pretty much fixed idea in peoples minds, but that's not at all how it was in the first century, as modern scholarship has confirmed.

For example, the Christmas story. Please read the first two chapters of Luke's gospel, and you will see how this 'Christian' story is deeply, deeply rooted in the Jewish story, and the promise to Abraham.

For example, the opening to John's Gospel, a direct comparison to the opening to Genesis.

For example, the disciples continued to use the Temple for worship (Acts).

And so on. Jesus' role only makes sense in the full context of Judaism. Christianity is not a new religion, but it is Judaism which claims that Jesus is at the centre of the story of Israel.
ishammad  
Graduate
Graduate
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote ishammad Replybullet Posted: 19 February 2019 at 3:21am
O you who have believed, be supporters of Allah, as when Jesus, the son of Mary, said to the disciples, "Who are my supporters for Allah?" The disciples said, "We are supporters of Allah." And a faction of the Children of Israel believed and a faction disbelieved. So We supported those who believed against their enemy, and they became dominant. (61:14)

And [mention, O Muhammad], when Abraham was tried by his Lord with commands and he fulfilled them. [Allah] said, "Indeed, I will make you a leader for the people." [Abraham] said, "And of my descendants?" [Allah] said, "My covenant does not include the wrongdoers." (2:124)

We had already taken the covenant of the Children of Israel and had sent to them messengers. Whenever there came to them a messenger with what their souls did not desire, a party [of messengers] they denied, and another party they killed. (5:70)
------------

And that was Our [conclusive] argument which We gave Abraham against his people. We raise by degrees whom We will. Indeed, your Lord is Wise and Knowing.

And We gave to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob - all [of them] We guided. And Noah, We guided before; and among his descendants, David and Solomon and Job and Joseph and Moses and Aaron. Thus do We reward the doers of good.

And Zechariah and John and Jesus and Elias - and all were of the righteous.

And Ishmael and Elisha and Jonah and Lot - and all [of them] We preferred over the worlds.

And [some] among their fathers and their descendants and their brothers - and We chose them and We guided them to a straight path.

That is the guidance of Allah by which He guides whomever He wills of His servants. But if they had associated others with Allah, then worthless for them would be whatever they were doing. (6:83-88)

Edited by ishammad - 19 February 2019 at 3:26am
Exalted is your Lord, the Lord of might, above what they describe. And peace upon the messengers. And praise to Allah, Lord of the worlds. 37:180-182
Jo M
Freshman
Freshman

Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Jo M Replybullet Posted: Today at 12:28pm
There's an awful lot to agree with in those quotes.

O you who have believed, be supporters of Allah, as when Jesus, the son of Mary, said to the disciples, "Who are my supporters for Allah?" The disciples said, "We are supporters of Allah." And a faction of the Children of Israel believed and a faction disbelieved. So We supported those who believed against their enemy, and they became dominant. (61:14)

I wonder if you, or others, could help me. What do you understand this to mean?

Thank you.
<< Prev Page  of 2
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version