Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Archive (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 Whyislam.org Forums : Archive : Archive
Message Icon Topic: Ramadan Vocab Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
Emad  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Religion: Islam(Sunni)
Forum Rating: 0
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Emad Replybullet Topic: Ramadan Vocab
    Posted: 04 September 2005 at 8:56am
Asalamu Alakum.  Many new Muslims and non-Muslims may not be aware of many of the terms we are using, such as suhoor, iftar, sawm etc.  Please list the terms you know about Ramadan then translate them. 
Verily, either we or you are rightly guided or in plain error. (Quran Saba:24)

Emad@whyislam.org
No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
SoloJazz  
Mureed
Mureed
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Forum Rating: 96
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote SoloJazz Replybullet Posted: 04 September 2005 at 9:19am

In the name of Allah

I'll start with a Few...

Iftar: The Breaking of the Fast

Ramadhan- the holy month that the Quran was revealed

Taraweeh:The (Prayer) recitation of the Qur'an

If anyone has better definitions, please correct me.

Edited by Jermin savory
TrueMu'min  
Graduate
Graduate
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote TrueMu'min Replybullet Posted: 04 September 2005 at 9:30am

Laylatul Qadr- The night of Power and Pre-Decree-the night thats  better then a thousand months.

I' tikaaf-seclusion in the mosque in order to worship Allah.

Ramadhan- the holy month that the Quran was revealed and muslims fast all over the world for 30 days.

Fasting=abstaining from food and drink from sunrise to sunset.

Zakah- Obligatory charity.

Men are from Marwa, and Women are from Safaa.
Emad  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Emad Replybullet Posted: 04 September 2005 at 9:34am
Jermin Ramadan is not octoboer. 
Verily, either we or you are rightly guided or in plain error. (Quran Saba:24)

Emad@whyislam.org
SoloJazz  
Mureed
Mureed
Forum Rating: 96
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote SoloJazz Replybullet Posted: 04 September 2005 at 10:07am
Thanks for the correction, i've edited my post.
UmDanu  
Sophmore Member
Sophmore Member
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote UmDanu Replybullet Posted: 04 September 2005 at 10:12am

Wa alaikum asalaam,

Suhoor :   the small meal that is eaten before dawn on the days of fasting in Ramadan.   After eating your suhoor, you pray the fajr prayer, and the fast proceeds until sunset.

TrueMu'min  
Graduate
Graduate
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote TrueMu'min Replybullet Posted: 04 September 2005 at 12:08pm

Taraweeh:special evening prayers in which long portions of the Qur'an are recited.

Mainul_Islam  
Graduate
Graduate
Forum Rating: 239
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Mainul_Islam Replybullet Posted: 04 September 2005 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by UmDanu

Wa alaikum asalaam,

Suhoor :   the small meal that is eaten before dawn on the days of fasting in Ramadan.   After eating your suhoor, you pray the fajr prayer, and the fast proceeds until sunset.

the SMALL meal??  i thought we were suppose to fill our bellies! 

LAA ILAAHA ILLALLAAH! THERE IS NO GOD BUT GOD!
UmDanu  
Sophmore Member
Sophmore Member
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote UmDanu Replybullet Posted: 04 September 2005 at 5:20pm

Brother Mainul 

We should not fill our bellies!   The Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) advised the believers to stop eating before their stomachs are full and also when we eat we should fill our stomach with one third food, one third water, and one third air (i.e. leave one third empty).

wa salaam.

TrueMu'min  
Graduate
Graduate
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote TrueMu'min Replybullet Posted: 04 September 2005 at 5:46pm
Eid ul-Fitr: muslim festival which occurs after the end of the month of Ramadhan. Eid is celebrated after the sighting of the new crescent on the previous evening.
Islamaholic
Graduate
Graduate
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Islamaholic Replybullet Posted: 05 September 2005 at 7:44am

Sadaqatul/Zakatul Fitr:  That charity that is given to the reciepients of zakah, usually before the Eid prayer, so that they can enjoy the day of Eid as well.

Laylatul Qadr:  Transalated as 'The Night of Power.'  This is a special night in the month of Ramdan, which Allah has singled out for His worship.  The reward of worship during this night, is equal to a thousand months worship.  No exact day has been fixed for this night.  Many scholars say it appears in the last ten days of Ramadan, during the odd nights...either the 21st, 23rd, 25th,27th or 29th night.  Allah mentions this blessed night in the Quran:

"We have indeed revealed this (message) in the Night of Power: And what will explain to you what the Night of Power is? The Night of Power is better than a thousand months. Therein come down the Angels and the Spirit (Jibraeel) by Allah's permission, on every errand: Peace! This until the rise of Morn!" 

May Allah grant us the ability to make the most out of this night.  ameen

Muslima007
Undergraduate
Undergraduate
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Muslima007 Replybullet Posted: 13 September 2005 at 4:57pm

...This is the month where you are invited as the respected guests of Allah, in fact you are entitled for His extraordinary favours.  In this month your sighs are considered as praise to Allah, slumber as worship, actions are acceptable & prayers are materialised.  So with purity of heart and good intention invoke the blessings of Allah for observing the fast during this month & reciting the Qu'ran for Allah's sake...

...O my people, if you honor a faster by feeding him at Iftar, Allah will give you the reward of emancipating a slave, besides He will forgive all your sins...

These excerpts are taken from: WELCOME TO THE MONTH OF BLESSINGS(It is reported that the Prophet(S.A.W.) spoke the following in the beginning of the month of Ramadan (Idependent translation of a hadith reported by Ali bin Moosa from Ali bin Abi Talib)

Traveller  
Graduate
Graduate

Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Traveller Replybullet Posted: 29 October 2005 at 5:24pm

I think the correct definition of taraweeh is leisurely prayer. I think taraweeh comes from the word meaning rest.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

In life, be like a traveller. Take only what you need
goldonthebeach  
Sophmore Member
Sophmore Member
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote goldonthebeach Replybullet Posted: 17 October 2006 at 9:28am
I have noticed the word murabark being used in  the greeting .what does this mean? (i think this is the word,  it's early and i am not quite awake yet, it is a little after 4 am here)

Edited by goldonthebeach - 17 October 2006 at 9:33am
I am seeking more knowledge as an United States Muslim
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version