Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Archive (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 Whyislam.org Forums : Archive : Archive
Message Icon Topic: BASICS OF FASTING FOR NEW MUSLIMS Post Reply Post New Topic
4everHopeful  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Seeker of Paradise Administrator
Religion: Islam(Sunni)
Forum Rating: 129
Rating: 1 of 1 votes Quote 4everHopeful Replybullet Topic: BASICS OF FASTING FOR NEW MUSLIMS
    Posted: 23 September 2005 at 9:09am

Fasting Ramadan is personally obligatory for every Muslim who has reached puberty, is sane, and is able to fast.  It is not obligatory for a non-Muslim, a child, an insane person, or someone unable to fast (such as someone of advanced years or someone who is continuously sick).

Intention

The intention is to intend to fast.

Related Issues:

1. It is permitted to eat, drink, and have intercourse with one’s wife/husband after making one’s intention until just before the time for the fajr prayer. Such actions do not void the intention to fast.
  2. It is valid to intend to fast while in major ritual impurity [janabah] and then perform the purificatory bath [ghusl] after dawn, if  for example u fail to wake up for the prayer and predawn meal.  Although it is better to perform it before dawn.

When to stop eating: One stops eating at the time for the Fajr prayerg.  The fast has begun. 

When to break one's fast: When the time for maghrib comes.  It can be broken with dates and water (which the prophet, peace be upon him used to break his fast on), if one wishes to follow the sunnah. 

Break the fast in the manner described in the hadeeth narrated by Anas (may Allaah be pleased with him): “The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to break his fast with fresh dates before praying; if fresh dates were not available, he would eat (dried) dates; if dried dates were not available, he would have a few sips of water.” (Reported by al-Tirmidhi, 3/79 and others. He said it is a ghareeb hasan hadeeth. Classed as saheeh in al-Irwa’, no. 922).

See this link for dua's said at beginning and end of fast:

http://www.geocities.com/mutmainaa/dua1/Ramadan_dua.html

Things that nullify the fast:

Eating deliberately:If one deliberately and willingly allows food, drink, or anything else (even if inedible)  and one knew that this was unlawful, one’s fast is nullified.  If one does this forgetfully, under coercion, or in ignorance of its unlawfulness, one’s fast is not thereby nullified

Vomiting deliberately Deliberately inducing vomit from one’s stomach nullifies the fast.  If, however, vomit overcomes one and exits without one’s choosing, the fast is not nullified. 

Sexual intercourse even if there is no ejaculation.  Both the man and the woman thereby nullify their fast, provided they remembered that they were fasting.  One’s fast is not nullified by kissing and touching without intercourse unless one ejaculates (even if little). 

Ejaculation caused by masturbation using the hand nullifies the fast even if done from behind a barrier (note that masturbation is unlawful even when one is not fasting).  As for kissing and fondling, if one fears that it will result in ejaculation, it is unlawful to do so and if one subsequently ejaculates, it nullifies the fast.  If one knows that one will not ejaculate, it is better not to engage in kissing and fondling, although they are not unlawful.

Menstruation or post-natal bleeding during the day of Ramadan.  The fast of a woman who begins the morning in a state of purity and then begins menstruation or post-natal bleeding is nullified.  She makes up the days whereby she did not fast at a later date.

Excuses that Permit one not to Fast

1. Sickness during which fasting causes extreme hardship (meaning that one fears a worsening of the sickness, loss of limb, or loss of life).  If one begins the day fasting and then later becomes sick in the manner described above, it is permissible for one to break the fast.
  2. A long trip (81 km. or more), provided one begins traveling before dawn.  If one travels after dawn, one is not excused from fasting unless one experiences extreme hardship such as extreme hunger or thirst.
  3. Pregnancy or nursing when the woman fears for herself or her child.  Note that mere pregnancy without any legitimate fear of harm for herself or for her child does not excuse her from fasting.

No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
4everHopeful  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Seeker of Paradise Administrator
Forum Rating: 129
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote 4everHopeful Replybullet Posted: 23 September 2005 at 9:19am

You can get the prayer times from this site, for your country and region:

http://www.islamicfinder.org/

but it is a good idea also if u live near a masjid to get the prayer times from them, as the times on the internet are not always accurate.

UmZ

Naadir Muhammed  
Undergraduate
Undergraduate
Forum Rating: 0
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Naadir Muhammed Replybullet Posted: 30 September 2005 at 3:44pm
In the name of ALLAH

Assalamu alaikum,

This will be really beneficial for new muslims as well as those who want to know about Islaam.

jazak ALLAH khair

There is only one death, so let it be in the path of Allah"

Shaykh 'Abdullah 'Azzam (RH)
hasna77  
Graduate
Graduate
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote hasna77 Replybullet Posted: 04 October 2005 at 12:48pm

Assalaamualikum sister Umz,

I just found some duas on google(becasue your link wasnt working) for before commencing the fast and upon breaking the fast. I am sure other new muslims like myself will find it helpful inshaallah.

Also if anyone has the transliteration, that would be nice.

http://www.student.virginia.edu/~islam/SehriandIftar.htm

Edited by hasna77
space invaders

"I wish I could fly, so high in the sky but I can't.."

sarahi  
Freshman
Freshman
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote sarahi Replybullet Posted: 24 September 2006 at 3:42am

HELLO AM SARAHI !I NEED HELP! I DONT KNOW HOW TO STAR I NEED SOMEBODY TO GUIDE ME I WANT TO CHANGE AND HAVE A NEW LIFE .

is never to late to change
jana.z  
Mureed
Mureed
Bismillah
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote jana.z Replybullet Posted: 13 August 2007 at 1:44am
i was reading that kidney dialysis is breaking the fast. how can that be? its only involving the blood stream and its how these ppl stay alive. they would die without the dialysis!!!!

is this true?
And hold fast, all together to the rope of Allah and do not separate.”Âl’ Imran:103)

http://myimmatureviewpoint.blogspot.com/
http://solomuslimah.blogspot.com/
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Rating: 159
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 13 August 2007 at 2:05am
Thank you sister for bringing back this very useful and informative thread

A Muslim who is ill is not supposed to fast, and if he or she needs kidney dialysis that means it is a serious condition and fasting would make the condition worse

Here is an answer to a similar question on whether a diabetic who needs insulin should fast or not:

If you need to inject insulin, then you belong to the category of people who are exempt from fasting, so you should not fast. It is not at all considered an act of piety to fast while one is suffering from the type of diabetes that requires insulin injection during the day.

I suggest to keep this thread on the Basics of Fasting and that more advanced questions could go on a special Ramadan Q & A thread
Think Win-Win for a better world for all...

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Ariella  
Sophmore Member
Sophmore Member
Religion: Judaism(Liberal)
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Ariella Replybullet Posted: 12 September 2007 at 1:49am
When are the times, relative to sunrise and sunset?  Are they based on the sun being above or below the horizon?  I don't recognized the names of the various prayers or their times.

I'm a bat yisrael and a friend asked me to fast the 27th of Ramadan with him.  I talked to neighbors who are Shi'a and will likely break the fast at their house that night.
"Kadosh, kadosh, kadosh, Adonai Tz'vot, m'lo kol ha'aretz kevodo!"

"The best Jihad is to speak a word of Justice to an oppressive ruler." (Ibn Majad)
Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 12 September 2007 at 1:53am
Hello and welcome to the forum

Fasting starts at dawn prayer (Fajr), which is around 90 minutes before sunrise and it ends at sunset (Maghreb)

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

jana.z  
Mureed
Mureed
Bismillah
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote jana.z Replybullet Posted: 18 September 2007 at 7:39am

Some Physical and mental Benefits of Fasting

• Rest for digestive organs
  • Reduction of allergies
  • Detoxification
  • Purification
  • Weight loss
  • Better resistance to disease
  • Improved senses – taste, hearing
  • Change of habits
  • Diet changes
  • Rejuvenation
  • Revitalization Better sleep More relaxation Better attitude
  • More energy
  • More clarity, mentally and emotionally
  • Inspiration
  • Creativity
  • Spiritual awareness
  • Right use of will
And hold fast, all together to the rope of Allah and do not separate.”Âl’ Imran:103)

http://myimmatureviewpoint.blogspot.com/
http://solomuslimah.blogspot.com/
Challa  
Sophmore Member
Sophmore Member

Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Challa Replybullet Posted: 19 September 2007 at 11:48am
well i have yet to feel my sleep has improved or that I have more energy or more clarity.. I actually have less of all of these. 

its amazing how many people will sleep during the day in Ramadan in Moslem countries. And are up in middle of night. Which sort of defeats the purpose in my opinion. I teach right before Iftar usually, and there is no way I am more clear, less tired. then if I had eaten my regular meals. (which are small meals throughout the day.) I am more impatient and my memory is not as clear by far. And I have an excellent memory.

I think it would be a fascinating study to compare people who lead a regular western life. Generally healthy people, somr fasting some not. And see the physical changes. When I fast I eat way too much food in the evening then I would if I were not fasting. And your last meal of the day should not be big.  I have studies alot about science, exercise and diet.  They are all intertwined. I do not work out in the morning or day because I am fasting. I have been around people fasting in Pakistan and by 4pm.. they look a little peaked. Not doing much.  Not sure if they are more energetic, creativity etc.

I am not saying there are not benefits. I just would like to see a scientific study. Often I hear people say "studies show..." and they never show the link to the study so we can see what they used. Can we read it and see the parameters that they used.

Al-Cordoby  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Al-Cordoby Replybullet Posted: 19 September 2007 at 2:57pm
This section on IOL has a number of studies related to fasting and health:

As this is a (basics of fasting) thread, I suggest we could deal with the issues you raised sister on another thread in order to keep this thread a basic reference thread.

My Blog
Muslim Heritage

Minaret
Freshman
Freshman

Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Minaret Replybullet Posted: 21 September 2007 at 3:10pm
I want to add here why we fast. People ask that a lot and I think it's important to have a ready answer.

I always begin by saying that we fast in order to feel how the poor feel.
At the end of the day, I'm very hungry- but I'm not starving, because as soon as dawn hits, I can eat...but poor, starving people don't have that luxury.
And that makes me grateful to Allah that I have food everyday; I can better appreciate the blessings He has given me. I pray in thanks to Him. And I try to be more charitable to the less fortunate, knowing now a least a little bit how they must feel.
Fasting also makes me more disciplined- I know  by fasting that I can resist the temptation to eat. And, fasting is a testament to Muslims' belief in Allah, that we would pass this test and do whatever He asks- and He is merciful and gives us a feast at the end of the day.
Aviatrix  
Admin Group
Admin Group
WhyIslam Forum Moderator
Forum Rating: 123
Rating: 0 of 0 votes Quote Aviatrix Replybullet Posted: 21 September 2007 at 6:46pm
Welcome to the forum Minaret.

Sister Mai has made a nice thread about why Muslims fast. Even the poor will fast in Ramadan, and it's good to be more disciplined and charitable, but Allah swt says in the Qur'an (what means):

O ye who believe, Fasting is prescribed for you as it was prescribed to those before you, that ye may attain Taqwa

Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version