Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Archive (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 Whyislam.org Forums : Archive : Archive
Message Icon Topic: Basic Beliefs in Islam(Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
Munawar  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Religion: Islam(Sunni)
Forum Rating: 0
bullet Topic: Basic Beliefs in Islam
    Posted: 16 July 2004 at 11:49am
Basic Beliefs in Islam

Many people state that Islam means peace. But this is a mistranslation. Peace is a subset of the many meanings of the word. But the rootword of Islam means submission. Submission to who? Submission to Allah.

Islam means submission to Allah, and Muslims ("Those that Submit to Allah") submit to him through the rules and regulations Allah has set for all of mankind.

1) Shahadah - The first step in submission is the belief in One God. Shahadah means "Witness", and Muslims take witness that "There is only One God, Allah. And his last messenger is Muhammad (PBUH)"

2) Prayer - After shahadah, Muslims must pray 5 times a day. This act brings Muslims back to their lord several times a day. And for men, they must attend the Masajid to do their prayers. Prayer occurs at sunrise, noon, afternoon, sunset, and night.

3) Fasting - Muslims must fast during the month of Ramadan. During this month, Muslims cannot eat, sleep, smoke, or have sexual relations during daylight hours.

4) Charity - Muslims are encouraged to give charity regularly, but after the Month of Ramadan, Muslims give a set percentage of thier excess cash in Charity.

5) Pilgrimage - If financially able, Muslim must perform the Pilgrimage to Mecca at least once in their life.
Munawar@Whyislam.org
http://www.whyislam.org
No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
Eternity
Mureed
Mureed
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
bullet Posted: 19 July 2004 at 10:44am
THIS WAS POSTED BY BROTHER TALIB.

Bismillah al Rahman al Rahim

"Other faces that Day will be joyful,
Pleased with their striving, --
In a Garden on high,
Where they shall hear no word of vanity:
Therein will be a bubbling spring:
Therein will be thrones of dignity, raised on high,
Goblets placed ready,
And cushions set in rows,
And rich carpets all spread out."
(88:8-16)

"But give glad tidings to those who believe and work righteousness, that their portion is Gardens, beneath which rivers flow. Every time they are fed with fruits therefom, they say: "Why, this is what we were fed with before," for they are given things in similitudes; and they have therein pure and holy companions; and they abide therein forever."
(2:25)

"For without doubt, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest."
(13:28)

"And I have not created jinns and men, except that they should serve Me."
(51:56)

"I have, I assure you, abandoned the ways of a people that do not believe in Allah and that even deny the Hereafter.

"And I follow the ways of my fathers, -- Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob; and never could we attribute any partners whatever to Allah; that comes of the grace of Allah to us and to mankind: yet most men are not grateful.

"O my two companions of the prison! I ask you: are many lords differing among themselves better, or the One God, Supreme and Irresistable?

"If not Him, you worship nothing but names which you have named, -- you and your fathers, -- for which Allah has sent down no authority: the Command is for none but Allah: He has commanded that you worship none but Him: that is the right religion, but most men do not understand."
(12:37b-40)

"It is not righteousness that you turn your faces toward East or West; but it is righteousness -- to believe in Allah and the Last Day, and the angels, and the Book, and the Messengers; to spend of your substance, out of love for Him, for your kin, for orphans, for the needy, for the wayfarer, for those who ask, and for the ransom of slaves; to be steadfast in prayer, and practice regular charity; to fulfil the contracts which you have made; and to be firm and patient, in pain or suffering and adversity and throughout all periods of panic. Such are the people of truth, those who fear Allah."
(2:177)

"When My servants ask you concerning Me, I am indeed close to them: I listen to the prayer of every suppliant when he calls on Me: let them also, with a will, listen to My call, and believe in Me: that they may walk in the right way."
(2:186)

The statement that changes lives for the better:
"Ash-hadu alla ilaha ill'Allah wa ash-hadu anna Muhammadar Rasul Ullah;
I testify that there is no god except Allah and I testify that Muhammad is Allah's Messenger."

"Surely Allah doesn't change the condition of a people until they change what is in themselves."
(13:11)

Abdul Hamid

Edited by talib84 on 08 July 2004 at 4:46pm

Perhaps the greatest Freedom is to have the Freedom to define what Freedom should mean to me.
Eternity
Mureed
Mureed
bullet Posted: 08 August 2004 at 2:31pm

Salaam,

Can we add more information on this thread ?. It seems like we are busy talking about other things but don't provide much information on the basics of Islam..

Wassalam

Rizwan..

Perhaps the greatest Freedom is to have the Freedom to define what Freedom should mean to me.
Asma'a
Freshman
Freshman
Religion: Unknown(Unknown)
bullet Posted: 09 August 2004 at 2:27pm

Bismillahi

"LA 'ilaha illallahu, Muhammadur- Rasulullah (none has the right  to be worshipped except Allah, and Muhammad  (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasalaam) is the Messenger Of Allah"

Surat 2.Al-Baqarah Ayat 119-

"Verily, we have sent you (O Muhammad(Sallallahu Alayhi Wasalaam) with the truth (Islam),a bringer of glad tidings (for those who believe in what you brought,that they will enter paradise) and a warner  (for those who disbelieve in what you brought, that they will enter the Hell-fire) and you will not be asked  about the dwellers of the balzing Fire".

Surat 2. Al-Baqarah Ayat 120

"Never will the Jews nor the Christians be pleased with you ( O Muhammad(Sallallahu Alayhi Wasalaam) till you follow their religion. Say:"Verily, the Guidance of Allah that is the (only) Guidance.

And if you  (O Muhammad (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasalaam)  were  to follow their (Jews and Christians) desires after what you have received of Knowledge (i.e. Qu'ran), then you would have against Allah neither any Wali (protector or guardian) nor any helper"

Surat 2. Al-Baqarah Ayat 152

"Therefore remember Me (by praying and glorifying) I will remeber you, and be grateful to Me  (for MY countless Favours on you) and never be ungrateful to Me".

Surat 2. Al- Baqarah Ayat 159

"Verily, those who conceal the clear proofs, evidiences and the guidance, which We have sent down, after We have made it clear for the people in the Book, they are the ones cursed by Allah and cursed by the cursers"

Surat 2. Al-Baqarah Ayat 160

"Except those who repent and do richteous deeds, and openly decalare (the truth  which they concealed). These I will accept their repntance. and I  am the One  who accepts repentance, the most Merciful"

Surat 2. Al-Baqarah Ayat 161

"Verily, those who disbelieve, and die  while they are disbelievers it is they on whom the Curse of Allah and of the angels and of mankind, combined"

Surat 2. Al-Baqarah Ayat 162

"They will abide therein (under the  curse of Hell), their punishment will neither be lightened, nor will they be reprieved".

Surat2. Al-Baqarah Ayat 208

"O you who believe! Enter perfectly in Islam (by obeying all the rules and regulations of the ISlamic religion) and follow not the footsteps of Shaitan, Verily, He is to you a plain enemy".

Surat 2. Al-Baqarah Ayat 209

"Then if you slide back after the clear signs.(Prophet Muhammad (Sallallahu Alayhi Wassalaam) and this Qu'ran, and Islam) have come to you, then  know that Allah is All-Mighty, All- Wise". 

.......THE NOBLE QU'RAN.......

"Do not accept anything save the Hadith of the Prophet (SAWS). Spread knowledge and teach the ignorant, for knowledge does not vanish except when it is kept secretly (to oneself)." Bukhari 3:34
Asma'a
Freshman
Freshman
bullet Posted: 15 August 2004 at 12:23pm

Bismillahi

Surat 86 At_Taiq  

Ayats 13-17

13. Verily, this ( The Qu'ran) is  the Word that seperates (the truth from falsehood, and commands strict laws for mankind to cut the roots of evil)

14. And it is not a thing for amusement

15. Verily, they are but plotting a plot (against you O Muhammad  Sallallahu Alayhi Wasalaam).

16. And I (too) am planning a plan.

17. So give respite to the disbelievers; deal gently with them for awhile.

Surat 89. Al-Fajr

(27) It will be said to the pious - beleivers of Islamic Monotheism): " O ( you)  the one in (complete) rest and satisfaction!

(28) "Come  back to your Lord, well pleased (yourself) and well-pleasing (unto Him)!  

(29)  "Enter you then among  My ( honored) slaves,

(30) "And enter you My Paradise!"

THE NOBLE QU'RAN

Sister in Islam

Asma'a

"Do not accept anything save the Hadith of the Prophet (SAWS). Spread knowledge and teach the ignorant, for knowledge does not vanish except when it is kept secretly (to oneself)." Bukhari 3:34
Asma'a
Freshman
Freshman
bullet Posted: 15 August 2004 at 12:29pm
Bismillahi

Surat 86 At_Tariq  

Ayats 13-17

13. Verily, this ( The Qu'ran) is  the Word that seperates (the truth from falsehood, and commands strict laws for mankind to cut the roots of evil)

14. And it is not a thing for amusement

15. Verily, they are but plotting a plot (against you O Muhammad  Sallallahu Alayhi Wasalaam).

16. And I (too) am planning a plan.

17. So give respite to the disbelievers; deal gently with them for awhile.

Surat 89. Al-Fajr

(27) It will be said to the pious - beleivers of Islamic Monotheism): " O ( you)  the one in (complete) rest and satisfaction!

(28) "Come  back to your Lord, well pleased (yourself) and well-pleasing (unto Him)!  

(29)  "Enter you then among  My ( honored) slaves,

(30) "And enter you My Paradise!"

THE NOBLE QU'RAN

Sister in Islam

Asma'a

Zahrah  
Graduate
Graduate
bullet Posted: 15 September 2004 at 5:16pm
Allah (God)

Islam is the complete submission and obedience to Allah (God). The name Allah (God) in Islam never refers to Muhammad (pbuh), as many Christians may think; Allah is the personal name of God.

What do Muslims believe about Allah?

1. He is the one God, Who has no partner.

2. Nothing is like Him. He is the Creator, not created, nor a part of His creation.

3. He is All-Powerful, absolutely Just.

4. There is no other entity in the entire universe worthy of worship besides Him.

5. He is First, Last, and Everlasting; He was when nothing was, and will be when nothing else remains.

6. He is the All-Knowing, and All-Merciful,the Supreme, the Sovereign.

7. It is only He Who is capable of granting life to anything.

8. He sent His Messengers (peace be upon them) to guide all of mankind.

9. He sent Muhammad (pbuh) as the last Prophet and Messenger for all mankind.

10. His book is the Holy Qur'an, the only authentic revealed book in the world that has been kept without change.

11. Allah knows what is in our hearts.

These are some of the basic guidelines Muslims follow in their knowledge of God:

1. Eliminate any anthropomorphism (human qualities) from their conception of Allah. His attributes are not like human attributes, despite similar labels or appellations.

2. Have unwavering faith in exactly what Allah and Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) described Allah to be, no more, no less.

3. Eradicate any hope or desire of learning or knowing the modality of His names and attributes.

4. Belief totally in all the names and attributes of Allah; one cannot believe in some and disbelieve the others.

5. One cannot accept the names of Allah without their associated attributes, i.e. one cannot say He is Al-Hayy - 'The Living' and then say that He is without life.

6. Similarity in names (or meanings) does not imply similarity in what is being described (referents). As a robotics arm differs from a human arm, so the "hand" of Allah is nothing like a human hand, His speech is nothing like human speech, etc.

7. Certain words are ambiguous or vague in their meanings, and thus may be susceptible to misinterpretation. Only those meanings that are in accordance with what is specified by Allah and His Prophet (pbuh) are acceptable.

Ramadan Mubarak
Zahrah  
Graduate
Graduate
bullet Posted: 15 September 2004 at 5:22pm
The Shahada

The words that are spoken when one becomes a Muslim, are few but so significant. With the utterance of these words, a person acknowledges Allah as the Creator and Sustainer of all, and the messengership of His Prophet (peace be upon him). With these words, which come from the heart, a person steps from disbelief and ignorance to knowledge, light and guidence. A person can only reach this state by the Mercy and Guidance of Allah the Almighty.

There is no god worthy of worship except Allah
and Muhammad (peace be upon him) is His Prophet

These are the words that a person says to enter the fold of Islam. The Shahadah, or declaration of faith, is a covenant that the person makes with Allah: that he/she will continue to obey Allah, and walk in the footsteps of our Holy Prophet (peace be upon him). It is the first step to complete obedience to the Lord of all.

From the time of making Shahadah, the person is treated and respected like a Muslim by all Muslims, even if he/she was previously an enemy of Islam. There are many examples of this in the history of the Prophet (peace be upon him).

The bond of faith is much stronger than the bond of blood. When a person becomes a Muslim they enter the community of Muslims, regardless of their race or background. A feeling of love and harmony abides between people who sincerely seek to practice Islam according to the Qu'ran and Sunnah. Such people are in a race to do good and be those with whom Allah is pleased.

The significance of the Shahadah is further highlighted, when we ponder on the fact that we repeat it every time we pray. How many of us, really think about it during prayer? It becomes a usual thing and maybe sometimes we say the words without contemplating their meaning.

When we say there is no god worthy of worship except Allah, it means that we disdain obedience and servitude to anyone or anything except Allah. It means that we fear no one and nothing except Allah: that our greatest feeling of love and gratitude are kept for Allah, because we know that He is the real Provider of all we have. It means that we do not seek the pleasure or acceptance of anyone or anything except Allah. This means that the Muslim becomes strong and independent. The ridicule, scorn, sneers and insults of people bear no importance. The Muslim remains calm and secure in times of panic because they know that there is no help except from Allah. In times of grief and distress, the Muslim remains steadfast and courageous, knowing that calamity can only occur with the permission of Allah and that He, in His Mercy has promised not to bear a sincere soul, with more than it can bear.

When we say that Muhammad is the Prophet of Allah, we acknowledge his right to be respected, obeyed and revered. We follow in his footsteps, knowing that he was the best of creation and hope to achieve Paradise and be close to him and the other prophets, Inshaa Allah.

Truly the Shahadah is not a empty phrase, it is not just a few words spoken but is coupled with sincerity of intention and determination to struggle, strive and sacrifice along the straight path.

Ramadan Mubarak
Zahrah  
Graduate
Graduate
bullet Posted: 15 September 2004 at 5:26pm
The Reason Why Fasting Is Prescribed?

Question:

What is the reason why fasting is prescribed?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

Firstly we must note that one of the names of Allaah is al-Hakeem (the Most Wise). The word Hakeem is derived from the same root as hukm (ruling) and hikmah (wisdom). Allaah alone is the One Who issues rulings, and His rulings are the most wise and perfect.

Secondly:

Allaah does not prescribe any ruling but there is great wisdom behind it, which we may understand, or our minds may not be guided to understand it. We may know some of it but a great deal is hidden from us.

Thirdly:

Allaah has mentioned the reason and wisdom behind His enjoining of fasting upon us, as He says (interpretation of the meaning):

“O you who believe! Observing As-Sawm (the fasting) is prescribed for you as it was prescribed for those before you, that you may become Al-Muttaqoon (the pious)”
[al-Baqarah 2:183]

Fasting is a means of attaining taqwa (piety, being conscious of Allaah), and taqwa means doing that which Allaah has enjoined and avoiding that which He has forbidden.

Fasting is one of the greatest means of helping a person to fulfil the commands of Islam.

The scholars (may Allaah have mercy on them) have mentioned some of the reasons why fasting is prescribed, all of which are characteristics of taqwa, but there is nothing wrong with quoting them here, to draw the attention of fasting people to them and make them keen to attain them.

Among the reasons behind fasting are:

1 – Fasting is a means that makes us appreciate and give thanks for pleasures. For fasting means giving up eating, drinking and intercourse, which are among the greatest pleasures. By giving them up for a short time, we begin to appreciate their value. Because the blessings of Allaah are not recognized, but when you abstain from them, you begin to recognize them, so this motivates you to be grateful for them.

2 – Fasting is a means of giving up haraam things, because if a person can give up halaal things in order to please Allaah and for fear of His painful torment, then he will be more likely to refrain from haraam things. So fasting is a means of avoiding the things that Allaah has forbidden.

3 – Fasting enables us to control our desires, because when a person is full his desires grow, but if he is hungry then his desire becomes weak. Hence the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “O young men! Whoever among you can afford to get married, let him do so, for it is more effective in lowering the gaze and protecting one’s chastity. Whoever cannot do that, let him fast, for it will be a shield for him.”

4 – Fasting makes us feel compassion and empathy towards the poor, because when the fasting person tastes the pain of hunger for a while, he remembers those who are in this situation all the time, so he will hasten to do acts of kindness to them and show compassion towards them. So fasting is a means of feeling empathy with the poor.

5 – Fasting humiliates and weakens the Shaytaan; it weakens the effects of his whispers (waswaas) on a person and reduces his sins. That is because the Shaytaan “flows through the son of Adam like blood” as the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, but fasting narrows the passages through which the Shaytaan flows, so his influence grows less.

Shaykh al-Islam said in Majmoo’ al-Fataawa, 25/246

Undoubtedly blood is created from food and drink, so when a person eats and drinks, the passages through which the devils flow – which is the blood – become wide. But if a person fasts, the passages through which the devils flow become narrow, so hearts are motivated to do good deeds, and to give up evil deeds.

6 – The fasting person is training himself to remember that Allaah is always watching, so he gives up the things that he desires even though he is able to take them, because he knows that Allaah can see him.

7 – Fasting means developing an attitude of asceticism towards this world and its desires, and seeking that which is with Allaah.

8 – It makes the Muslim get used to doing a great deal of acts of worship, because the fasting person usually does more acts of worship and gets used to that.

These are some of the reasons why fasting is enjoined. We ask Allaah to help us to achieve them and to worship Him properly.

And Allaah knows best.

See Tafseer al-Sa’di, p. 116; Ibn al-Qayyim’s footnotes on al-Rawd al-Murabba’, 3/344; al-Mawsoo’ah al-Fiqhiyyah, 28/9.

Source : Islam QA

Ramadan Mubarak
Zahrah  
Graduate
Graduate
bullet Posted: 15 September 2004 at 5:31pm
The Physical Act of Prayer

Islam is not a new religion. Literally meaning “submission to the Will of God”, Islam is the only religion which is not named after a people, a place, or an individual. It is the religion of all of the prophets including Noah, Abraham, Moses, David, Jesus, and Muhammad (peace be upon them
all), to name a few.

The Muslim practice of standing, bowing, kneeling, and prostrating in worship is not foreign to past traditions. While many Christians and Jews find images of Muslims in prayer to be peaceful or even awe-inspiring, some find the Muslim method of prayer to be odd.

When Muslims pray, they do so in a manner taught by Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him), the Last Prophet sent by God and the only prophet sent to all of humanity. His words, his actions, and the events of which he approved or disapproved have all been preserved in numerous
volumes, called Ahadith. It is important to note that these volumes are kept separate from the revealed word of God, the Qur’an.

It is from the Ahadith that Muslims derive their model for how to live, love, work, raise children, eat, give charity, greet each other, pray, etc. The point, here, is that after having received the command from God to pray, Muslims look to the example of Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) to learn how to pray. Were Christians and Jews to look to the examples of the prophets (peace be upon them all) given in the Torah and the Gospel, then they would find themselves praying like Muslims. Here’s proof.......

Genesis 17:1-4 And when Abram was ninety years old and nine, the Lord appeared to Abram, and said unto him, I am the Almighty God; walk before me and be thou perfect. And I will make my covenant between me and thee, and will multiply thee exceedingly. And Abram fell on his
face: and God talked with him, saying, As for Me, behold, My covenant is with thee, and thou shalt be a father of many nations.

Deuteronomy 5:6-9 I am the Lord thy God, which brought thee out of Egypt, from the house of bondage. Thou shalt have none other gods before Me. Thou shalt not make thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the waters beneath the earth: Thou shalt not bow down thyself unto them nor serve them... The very fact that God is instructing people not to “bow down” to idols, means that bowing is a valid form of worship.

Psalm 95:6 O come, let us worship and bow down: let us kneel before the Lord our Maker. Note that both bowing and kneeling are mentioned in Psalm 95:6, the very order in which Muslims perform them.

Deuteronomy 9:24-25 Ye have been rebellious against the Lord from the day that I knew you. Thus I fell down before the Lord forty days and forty nights, as I fell down the first; because the Lord had said He would destroy you.

Revelations 7:11-12 And all the angels stood round about the throne, and about the elders and the four beasts, and fell before the throne on their faces, and worshipped God, Saying, Amen: Blessing, and glory, and wisdom, and thanksgiving, and honour, and power, and might, be
unto our God for ever and ever. Amen.

Joshua 7:6-7 And Joshua rent his clothes, and fell to the earth upon his face before the ark of the Lord until eventide, he and the elders of Israel, and put dust upon their heads. And Joshua said, Alas, O Lord God, wherefore hast Thou at all brought this people over Jordan, to
deliver us into the hand of the Amorites, to destroy us? Would to God we had been content, and dwelt on the other side of the Jordan!

Numbers 16:20-22 And the Lord spoke unto Moses and Aaron, saying, Separate yourselves from among this congregation, that I may consume them in a moment. And they fell upon their faces, and said, O God, the God of spirits of all flesh, shall one man sin, and wilt Thou be wroth
with the all of the congregation?

Numbers 20:6 And Moses and Aaron went from the presence of the assembly unto the door of the tabernacle of the congregation, and they fell upon their faces: and the glory of the Lord appeared unto them.
Thus far, we have read that Moses, Joshua, Aaron, and Abraham (peace be upon them all) worshipped the One True God through prostration and bowing. The angels did the same. And in Matthew 26:39 Prophet Jesus (peace be upon him) also puts his face to the ground in humility
before God.

Matthew 26:36-39 Then cometh Jesus with them unto a place called Gesthemane, and saith unto his disciples, Sit ye here, while I go and pray yonder. And he took with him Peter and the two sons of Zebedee, and began to be very sorrowful and heavy. Then saith he unto them, my soul
is exceeding sorrowful, even unto death; tarry ye here, and watch with me. And he went a little farther, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as Thou Wilt.

We must realize that human beings chosen by God to bring God’s message are the best of human beings. To not follow their lead is illogical and arrogant. Bow down and prostrate to God and ask for guidance. It is God, alone, who can guide us.

"And be steadfast in prayer;
Practice regular charity;
And bow down your heads
With those who bow down."
Holy Qur'an 2:45

Many first reactions to this information is that it is interesting, but not significant or important. "Wow, I never realized that Jesus (peace be upon him) prayed with his face on the ground, as Muslims do. That's interesting, but who cares? The important part of prayer comes from the heart,
not the act of bowing."

In one sense this is true. An important part of prayer is what comes from the heart......but that's not all. Islam (submission to God) is a way of life in all respects. As such, it does not divorce the physical act of submission from the submission of the heart. When Muslims pray, they do so in a manner taught by the prophets (peace be upon all of them). Prayer is an act of mind, body, and soul. Submission takes place in all of these realms.

Ramadan Mubarak
Zahrah  
Graduate
Graduate
bullet Posted: 15 September 2004 at 5:44pm
 A Mercy To Mankind

Muhammad, A Guidance To Follow

Muhammad as a man had already died, but as a Prophet he left behind him a legacy in the form of the Qur’an and the Sunnah. He stressed the urgent need to hold firmly to these two sources during his Farewell speech in the valley of Arafat. If people hold fast to them, they will never go astray.

The teachings he left for us if put into practice in their true spirit and proper way will bring a happy life in this world and besides the indubitable rewards that will be received by those who believed in them in the life after death.

In this sense, Islam is a worldly religion which cares first for the worldly affairs of humanity. The hereafter is merely a continuation of the worldly life. It is difficult to portend that man can be saved in the hereafter without being saved in this world. The safe way is to follow the way shown to us by the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him). When his wife, ‘Aishah, was asked by a companion about the Prophet’s daily conduct, ‘Aishah replied that the conduct of the Prophet is the Qur’an which is the guidance from Allah and Muhammad was given authority by Allah to interpret it. That is why his conduct is exemplary of human conduct. Islam as brought by the Prophet Muhammad is very much misunderstood as a religion of rituals only like prayers, fasting, almsgiving and pilgrimage. Thanks to the new developments in the world, Islam is now looked upon In a wider perspective than the narrow-minded view.

The increased interest in Islamic studies by Muslims and non-Muslims supported by the advanced printing technology, has begun to open the eyes of the world about the true teaching and intrinsic values of Islam.

· Economy:

In the field of economic development, the goal is not material gain, but human welfare in general. Islam exhorts that the balance between the material and physical aspects, between the individual and societal needs, be maintained in order to narrow the gap between two opposite sides of human world. It is stated in the Qur’an:“Say, who is there to forbid the beauty which Allah has brought forth for His creatures, and the good things from among the means of sustenance. Say, they are for those who believe (in Allah) In this worldly life, to be theirs alone in the Hereafter on the Day of Resurrection …… Say, the only things my Lord forbids are the shameful deeds, be they open or secret, the sin, unjustified envy, the ascribing of divinity to aught beside Allah, and the attributing unto Allah of aught of which you have no knowledge”

So everyone is free to conduct any business he likes outside the harmful circle he has been warned not to indulge in. If he does not listen to this warning, he will be in trouble. Every good quality as precondition to a successful business is encouraged by Islam.

The Prophet himself was a businessman before he was appointed as a Prophet. His ability to run business prudently, by his fairness and truthful conduct in dealing with people had won him the heart of his employer, Khadijah who later offered him m&riage. He advocated Muslims to follow the spirit of Prophet Daud (David) of hard work, earned his living from his own labour. He also said that faith of a Muslim is not complete If he is not good in his profession.
He said: “If you leave matters to those who are not professional, you are waiting for the disaster”.

If he works in the production line, his products must be compatible with products of other companies or factories. In order to be marketable, it must suit the taste of buyers and their standards of living. In this regard, Islam teaches not to cheat in offering the product to the market. It must be shown as it is without any publicity it does not deserve. In the life time of the Prophet, he found many cases in market places where the merchants tried to cheat the customers.
The Prophet said to them: “Whoever cheated are not from amongst us (Muslims)”.

Islam laid many regulations in the field of economy such as trade, leasing, business transaction, contract and others to prevent unfair dealing within the community and in the world of business at large. What is also prevented by Islam is a monopoly and exploitation -by one man or one group at the expense of the others.

· Cleanliness:

The first thing in the religion brought by the Prophet Muhammad is the care of cleanliness. The concept of cleanliness in Islam covers physical and spiritual, mundane and religious domains.

Before performing any rituals, prescribed by Islam, one should cleanse his body, and his dress, his place of worship and his environment should be clean.

Before performing his prayers or starting for pilgrimage, one has to make his ablution (wudu’). If he or she is in a state of unclean after having had a lawful Intimate intercourse or post-natal period or other reasons, he or she has to take a complete bath by pouring clean water over the whole body.

In the case of daily prayer, every Muslim has to clean his/her private parts, face, hand, feet, mouth, nose and ears at least five times every day for the five daily prayers. This also reminds him/her to keep his/ her soul clean from unlawful deeds.

Cleanliness is not in the physical sense only. The body should be purified as well from evil doings that might harm his relationship with others and with God. He has to clean his mind from bad intentions or committing unlawful acts. He has to clean his heart from jealousy, hypocrisy and other evil desires. He has to embody hope, truthfulness, forgiveness, compassion, holiness, the sense of brotherliness, neighbourliness and other noble qualities.

He has to pay special attention to his diet against all unhealthy food medically and religiously. He has to keep his eyes, ears, tongue from evils. These are among the noble characteristics as exemplified by Prophet Muhammad.

To clean the wealth, Islam instituted the zakat system (way of purifying wealth). A person whose wealth has reached a certain point is obligated to pay zakat (alms) which is a duty enjoined by God and undertaken by Muslims in the interest of society as a whole.

For those able persons whose wealth does not reach the minimum rate point, he can also give voluntary contribution to the needy. This does not mean that the needy should always be receiving help from the able.

Prophet Muhammad said: "The upper hand (giver) is better than the lower one (receiver of help).”

If the receiver of zakat can grasp the spirit of the Prophet’s saying, he will try his best to be the giver instead of the receiver by endeavouring to better his life as encouraged by the teachings of Islam.

In Islam the possession of more wealth does not raise a man’s dignity, nor does poverty degrade him. It is true that wealth is necessary for man to live on this earth, but It is only a means, not the end. The end is happiness in life by attaining the higher values and not losing sight of in the pursuit of wealth.

Among the great virtues of Islam is the command to do good and the prohibition to do evil. The good should be preserved and the evil should be discarded. In short, Islam is actually composed of a series of commands and prohibitions. All the commands and prohibitions are for the good of humanity. Allah the Most Knowing, the Most Merciful, did not decree any law and regulations but for the good and benefit of his creatures.

The prohibition was decreed because of its evil implications to humanity. The evils were created to test the human conscience and challenge their freewill in choosing between right and wrong.

All the commands and prohibitions from Allah as transmitted through His Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) was intended to purify the human soul in order to live a pure and clean life adored by Allah and human genesis.

· Orderliness:

One of the other teachings of Islam is about orderliness. Discipline, regulation, management, planning and all other terms relating to organisation are mostly. understood as alien to Islam. On the contrary, Islam exhorts people to live in orderliness and to put the right thing in the right place. The foundation of Islamic order rests on two main principles, the crucial -faith in one God (Allah) and the oneness of humanity. All the frame works were laid down in the Qur'an and the Prophet Muhammad applied himself to working out the essential details of that order.

One of the great values taught by Islam in this regard is to make use of the time left to humanity. The Qur'an and the Sunnah (Traditions) mentioned about time, day, week, month, year and century. People are lost if they did not spend the time available to them during this life for good things. It is a great loss if people have to waste the valuable time they have at their disposal for useless activities. It is true that life should be enjoyable but not at the expense of human resources and values which are essential for the continuation of their wellbeing.

Allah the Most Knowing had created time and space suitable for human activities for they can attain achievements in life. There are times for work, study, recreation, resting and even celebration. All are parts of activities in worshipping Allah and serving His cause. The Qur'an says that Allah had created day for earning and night for resting and enjoyment. He created the sun, the moon and all outer-space objects co that man on the earth can fix the time and arraflge the calendar. By having a standard time and standard calendar and the movements of astronomical objects, people are able to regulate their time table in choosing the right moment for them in doing business and carrying out their activities.

Islam prescribes certain times for the daily prayers, certain month for the obligatory fasting and certain time during life time for performing the haj pilgrimage which indicates that the religion brought by Prophet Muhammad places the life of Muslims in systematic order. For every move and occasion made by Muslims there is a rule governing it, be it in the form of advice, spiritual guidance or practical directive. If all these directives are followed and understood properly, people will have high discipline and a well-managed life.

Islam encourages people to think correctly before taking any action. This means planning. There are many verses in the Qur'an admonishing against doing things unthinkingly and jumping to conclusions.

The Prophet also showed good example in fulfilling promise and staying true to treaty, agreement or contract made between parties.

As a man of honour he always remained true to the principles agreed in the treaty, depicting his high discipline and inclination of doing everything in proper order.

· Friendliness:

Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) was a warmhearted and faithful friend. He loved his companions. He extended greetings to those he knew and to those he did not know. He treated all people around him with kindness and affection.

He was very courteous to all those who met him. He never contradicted anybody who is not opposed to the teachings of Islam. He treated equally the humble and the lofty. He claimed no distinction and lived amongst his companions as if he was not their leader.

· Neighbourliness:

He regarded the neighbours as brothers and sisters because of their closeness and living in the same vicinity. He once smelt the aroma of the soup cooked by his wife. He told her to give some of it to the neighbours who also smelt it. He said it was not right for a Muslim to sleep with a full stomach after having had a good meal but let his neighbour starve. He laid the foundation for a friendly relation and cooperation among neighbours exemplifying that living as a neighbour one has one’s right and responsibility.

In regard to the rights of a neighbour, the Prophet said:
“Help him if he asks your help; give him relief if he seeks your relief; show him concern if he is distressed and when he is ill; attend his funeral if he dies; congratulate him If he meets any good; sympathize with him if any calamity befalls him; do not block his air by raising your building without his permission and do not harass him.”

· Goodwill:

He was a good exemplar to those who subscribe to a harmonious society. Islam exhorts people not to violate the rights of others and injure their interest, but should positively cooperate with each other and establish a mutual relationship and social cohesion.

To safeguard the unity and solidarity of the nation and to achieve the welfare and wellbeing of the community, Muslims have been enjoined to avoid mutual hostility, social dissension, backbiting one another, and hurting others with their hand or tongue.

Islam as brought by the Prophet Muhammad exhorts Muslims to visit the sick, to help the needy and assist the weak. Islam makes no discrimination on the basis of race, colour or language. Its appeal Is to the entire humanity.

· Women:

The Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) brought changes for the betterment of women.

Woman is recognised by Islam as a full and equal partner of man in the procreation of humankind. He is the father, she is the mother, and both are essential for life. Her role is no less vital than his. By this partnership she has an equal share in every aspect; she is entitled to equal rights; she undertakes equal responsibilities, and in her there are many qualities and so much humanity as there are In her partner.

She is equal to man in bearing personal and common responsibilities and in receiving rewards for her deeds.

She is equal to man in the pursuit of education and knowledge.

Islam enjoined the seeking of knowledge upon Muslims, it makes no distinction between man and woman.

She is entitled to freedom of expression as much as man is. Her sound opinions are taken into consideration and cannot be disregarded just because she is a female.

Islam grants woman equal fights to contract, to enterprise, to earn and posses independently. Her life, her property, her honour are as sacred as those of man.

Islam has also given woman a share of inheritance. Before Islam, she was not only deprived of that share, but was herself considered as property to be inherited by man.

· Statehood:

When Prophet Muhammad arrived at Madinah, he initiated the formation of an Islamic state. After establishing political brotherhood and the authority of the state of Madinah, he began negotiations with various tribes around the dy and made treaties with them.

When the Makkan unbelievers launched a series of attacks on Madinah, Prophet Muhammad was able to confront them, and when the Makkans were finally defeated in the battle of the Trenches (Al-Khandaq), he was able to make truce with them at Hudaibiyah for ten years. This treaty was a masterpiece of practical statesmanship on the part of Prophet Muhammad.

His diplomacy in sending and receiving envoys to and from the various chiefs of tribes and foreign rulers, his fairness In conducting judiciary, and his general pardon at the liberation of Makkah, was another proof of his lofty statesmanship.

The State he established in Madinah was not a matter of chance. It was the very nature of his mission that he would establish a state to enforce the way of Allah. People might accept a new faith but it would take time to change their habits, custom and way of life. And even If a small group of people succeeded In changing their way of life, there would be many others who would not let these people practise their belief and try to stop them by force. So the Islamic State became an urgent necessity to protect the Islamic way of life.

The State founded by Prophet Muhammad was invested with physical force, as every State must necessarily be, to fulfil its function of stopping aggression and oppression.

A democratic system In Islam is expressed through the term shura (council). The Qur'an says:
“And those who respond to their Lord and keep up prayer and their affairs (of government) is by council among themselves and who spend out of what we have given them.”.

Source : Islamway

Ramadan Mubarak
Urooj  
Mureed
Mureed
Allah loves me
bullet Posted: 17 September 2004 at 5:56am
Subhanallah sister Zahrah... 
Nisar main teri galiyon k, ay watan, k jahan
Chali hai rasm k koi na sar utha k chalay..!!
Hai ehl e dil k liye ab ye nazm e bast o kushad
K sang o khisht muqayyid hain aur sag azaad..!!
hamayoun  
Super Mureed
Super Mureed
The Humble Muslim
Religion: Islam(Sunni)
bullet Posted: 21 September 2004 at 12:42pm
What do Muslims Believe?

In order to understand Islam, it is important to know exactly what muslims believe in. In this article, we present some
verses directly from the Quran which describe the muslim belief.

The following verses of the Quran broadly sum up the total of a muslim's belief:

This is the Book; in it is guidance sure, without doubt, for
the God-fearing - who believe in the Unseen, are steadfast
in prayer, and spend out of what We have provided for them,
and who believe in the Revelation sent to you, and sent before you, and in their hearts have the certainty of the Hereafter. (Chapter 2, vv 2-4).

The Messenger believes in what has been revealed to him from
his Lord, as do the men of faith. Each of them believes in
God, His angels, His books, and His messengers.
(Chapter 2,
v 285).

Belief in God

This is the first and foremost belief of the muslim, the belief of the existence of a single God, who created the universe and everything in it, and who alone deserves to be worshiped. This has many aspects, which can be summarized as follows:

God, and God alone, created the universe and everything in it.
God is the sustainer and maintainer of the universe.
God is the absolute controller of the universe and all actions occurring within it.
God has complete power over all things.
God is not dependent on anyone or anything, whereas everyone and everything is dependent on Him.
God does not have a “family” : no wife, no children, no parents.
There is nothing like God.
God is transcendent above His creation.
God cannot be manifested in any of his creation.
God does not become incarnate in any of his creation.
God is the only being who can hear our prayers.
God is the only being who has the power to answer our
prayers, since He is the only one who can control the actions of the universe and of everything within it.
God is the only entity who deserves to be worshipped.
Humans do not need any intercessor or intervener between themselves and God when
worshipping or praying to him, but should turn directly to God.

Belief in the messengers, divine revelation, and divine books.

Muslims believe that God has appointed messengers from amongst mankind, thruout the ages, to guide mankind to the message that there is only one God. The first such messenger was Adam; the last such one was Muhammad (peace be upon them). These messengers, sometimes referred to as prophets, received
divine revelation. Some messengers were given the revelation
in the form of a divine book. Such books include the Torah
(revealed to Moses), the Gospel (revealed to Jesus), the Psalms (revealed to David), and the Quran.

Here are some relevant verses from the Quran.

Surely We have revealed to you (Muhammad) as We revealed to
Noah, and the prophets after him, and We revealed to Abraham
and Ismail and Issac and Jacob and the tribes, and Jesus and Job and Jonah and Aaron and Solomon; and We gave to David
the Psalms. (Chapter 4, v 163).

He has revealed unto thee (Muhammad) the Book with truth, confirming that which was before it, even as He revealed the Torah and the Gospel. (Chapter 3, v 3).

It was We who revealed the Torah, in which was guidance and
light. By its standard have been judged the Jews, by the prophets who submitted (to God's will), by the rabbis and the doctors of law: to them was entrusted the protection of God's
book, and they were witnesses to it. (Chapter 5, v 44)

And in their footsteps We sent Jesus the son of Mary, confirming the Torah that had come before him: We sent him the Gospel, in which was guidance and light, and confirmation of the Torah that had come before him: a guidance and an admonition to the God-fearing. (Chapter 5, v 46)

Were you witnesses when death appeared before Jacob? Behold,
he said to his sons: "What will ye worship after me?" They
said: "We shall worship your god and the god of your fathers, of Abraham, Isma'il and Isaac,- the one God: To Him we submit." (Chapter 2, v 133).

Say: "We believe in God, and in what has been revealed to us
and what was revealed to Abraham, Ismail, Isaac, Jacob, and
the Tribes, and in (the Books) given to Moses, Jesus, and the prophets, from their Lord: We make no distinction between
one and another among them, and to Him do we submit." (Chapter 3, v 84).

And We gave to him (Abraham) Issac and Jacob; each did We guide, and Noah did We guide before, and of his descendants, David and Solomon and Job and Joseph and Aaron; and thus do We reward those who do good. And Zachariah and John (the Baptist) and Jesus and Elijah; every one was of the good; and Ismail and Elisha and Jonah and Lot; and every one We made to
excel (in) the worlds. (Chapter 6, vv 84-86)

Jesus in the Quran

The Quran says the following things about Jesus:

Jesus was conceived by Mary while she
was still a virgin. The archangel Gabriel blew his breath
into her in order to impregnate her.

Jesus was a prophet and a slave of God, just
as Moses was before him. Muslims reject notions such as Jesus being the son of God, or being one of a trinity along with God the father and God the holy ghost. Muslims do not believe that
either Jesus or Mary should be worshipped. And muslims believe
that Jesus himself made these points very clearly to his followers.

Jesus was given a divine scripture, which is referred to in the Quran as the Injeel. This is not exactly the current contents of the New Testament.

Jesus was strengthed by the "Holy Spirit".
In the language of the Quran, this epitepth refers to the archangel Gabriel. Jesus is also called "a word from God" in the Quran.

Jesus was given the power by the permission of God to perform miracles. The Quran mentions some miracles also recorded in the New Testament, and some that are not. For example, the Quran mentions that Jesus was able to speak while he was a baby in a cradle.

As for the demise of Jesus, the Quran states that he was neither crucified nor killed, but that God raised him up to heaven.

Belief in the hereafter

Muslims believe that there is a life after the life of this
world, which is referred to as the hereafter. It consists of
two distinct phases : the Day of Judgment, and Paradise and
Hell.

The Day of Judgment is described in great detail in many pla
ces in the Quran. We shall just quote a couple of extracts here.

And the day on which We will cause the mountains to pass away and you will see the earth a levelled plain, and We will gather them and leave not any one of them behind. And they shall be brought before your Lord, standing in ranks: Now certainly you have come to Us as We created you at first. No, you thought that We had not appointed to you a time of the fulfillment of the promise. And the Book shall be placed, then
you will see the guilty fearing from what is in it, and they
will say: Ah! woe to us! what a book is this! it does not omit a small thing nor a great thing, but numbers them (all);
and what they had done they shall find present (there); and
your Lord does not deal unjustly with anyone. (Chapter 18,
vv 47-49).

When the earth is shaken with her (violent) shaking,
And the earth brings forth her burdens,
And man says: What has befallen her?
On that day she shall tell her news,
Because your Lord had inspired her.
On that day men shall come forth in sundry bodies, that they
may be shown their works.
So he who has done an atom's weight of good shall see it
And he who has done an atom's weight of evil shall see it.

(Chapter 99, vv 1-8).

These verses illustrate the main points of the day of judgment :

The earth will undergo a great cataclysm

All of mankind, from the first to the last, will be brought
back to life and be gathered before God

Everything which each human did in this is life will be shown to them

Each human being will then be judged, and be awarded either
a reward, in terms of Paradise, or a punishment, in terms of
Hell.

Most surely the righteous are in bliss, and most surely the
wicked are in burning fire. (Chapter 82, vv 13 - 14)

And as for him who transgressed all bounds, and preferred the life of this world, the fire will be his home.
And as for him who feared the standing before his Lord, and
kept his desires under check, Paradise will be his home. (Chapter 79, vv 37-41)

Surely We have prepared for the wrongdoers a fire, the curtains of which shall encompass them about.
Surely those who believe and do good, We do not waste the reward of him who does a good deed.
These it is for whom are gardens of perpetuity beneath which
rivers flow. (Chapter 18, vv 29 and 31).

What is the criterion by which each person will be judged by? The first and foremost thing will be whether he/she worshiped God alone, with no partners. The Quran says that those who take gods other than the one true God will not be able to
enter Paradise :

Surely whoever associates (others) with God, then God has made Paradise forbidden for him , and his abode is the fire; and there shall be no helpers for the unjust. (Chapter 5, v 7
2).

Disbelief in the revelations of God leads to hell :

And (as to) those who disbelieve in and reject My revelations, they are the inmates of the fire, in it they shall abide.
(Chapter 2, v 39).

This is their reward, Hell, because they disbelieved and took our revelations and our messengers as a joke. (Chapter 18,
v 105).

Belief alone is not sufficient to enter Paradise; it must be
accompanied by righteous deeds.

Surely (as for) those who believe and do good deeds, their place of entertainment shall be the gardens of Paradise (Chapter 18, v 107).

Certainly We created man in the best form; then We render him the lowest of the low. Except those who believe and do good, so they shall have a reward never to be cut off.
(Chapter 95, vv 4-6).

Surely (as for) those who believe and do good, they shall have gardens beneath which rivers flow, that is the great achievement. (Chapter 85, v 11).

Salavation through repentance

However, even a believer who does sins can still attain salavtion by repenting to God and asking for forgiveness. According to the Quran, God will always accept true repentance for any sin. And when the repentance is accepted, it is as though the sin was never committed in the first place.

And those who do not call upon another god with God and do not slay the soul, which God has forbidden except in the requirements of justice, and (who) do not commit fornication. And he who does this shall find a requital of sin; the punishment shall be doubled to him on the day of resurrection, and
he shall abide therein in abasement; except him who repents
and believes and does a good deed; so these are they of whom
God changes the evil deeds to good ones; and God is Forgiving, Merciful.
And whoever repents and does good, he surely turns to Allah
a (goodly) turning. (Chapter 25, vv 68-71).

In these verses, the Quran describes three of the greatest sins - taking partners with God, murder, and fornication - and says that whoever does these will be doubly punished on the day of judgement. It then says that if anyone repents from those sins, before he dies, then God will accept the repentance of such people. These verses exlemplify the absolute mercy of God, that NO MATTER HOW GRAVE THE SIN A HUMAN HAS COMMITED, God will forgive that sin if the person repents.

As for what repentance really means,
it involves :

1. Asking God for forgiveness
2. Stopping oneself from doing the sin
3. Trying not to do it again
4. Feeling remorse for the sin
5. If necessary, making amends to the person/people the sin was done against.
6. Trying to do more righteous deeds.

So to sum up, salvation according to the Quran is dependent on a mixture of belief in the one God, belief in the revelation of the Quran and all it contains, the doing of good deeds, and - above all else - the mercy
of God.

Edited by hamayoun
May Allah give me patience, Ameen.

My blog: http://regularbaba.blogspot.com/
BlueSprite  
Sophmore Member
Sophmore Member
Religion: Atheist(Atheist)
bullet Posted: 29 September 2004 at 11:59pm
I have two main questions, and perhaps this is not the right place for them, but it seemed as good a place to start as any.

1)  Why is it important to believe that Muhammed was God's last messenger? 

2)  Why is it important to make the pilgrimage to Mecca?

With regard to question 1: I assume that we are to understand that Muhammed was not only his most recent messenger, but also that there will never be another one?

What if one simply believes in one God, but does not know whether to trust a man who claims to be his profet?  How should this man go about deciding if the profet in question is genuine?  What becomes of the man who accepts only one God, but decides wrongly that this profet is false?
Where does the light go when the light goes out?
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version