Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Archive (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 Whyislam.org Forums : Archive : Archive
Message Icon Topic: Basic Beliefs in Islam(Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 2
hamayoun  
Super Mureed
Super Mureed
The Humble Muslim
Religion: Islam(Sunni)
Forum Rating: 0
bullet Posted: 30 September 2004 at 8:16am
AA

This is a VERY good question BlueSprite, and co-incidentally I got a similar question in an e-mail this morning. I will get round to answering this question later, but for now a message for all would be answerers. Treat Blue Sprite with kindness, don't turn him away with harshness, as this question COULD be answered in a "bash him over the head style".
May Allah give me patience, Ameen.

My blog: http://regularbaba.blogspot.com/
No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
BlueSprite  
Sophmore Member
Sophmore Member
Religion: Atheist(Atheist)
bullet Posted: 30 September 2004 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by hamayoun

AA

This is a VERY good question BlueSprite, and co-incidentally I got a similar question in an e-mail this morning. I will get round to answering this question later, but for now a message for all would be answerers. Treat Blue Sprite with kindness, don't turn him away with harshness, as this question COULD be answered in a "bash him over the head style".

I look forward to your reply.
Where does the light go when the light goes out?
hamayoun  
Super Mureed
Super Mureed
The Humble Muslim
bullet Posted: 01 October 2004 at 8:00am
AA

1) Why is it important to believe that Muhammed was God's last messenger?

In short, because if he is the last meesenger, it also implies that his is the last message i.e the Quran, and that it is the message for all muslims until the day of judgement.

It's important to note that according to the Quran, rejection of one messenger is equivalent to rejecting all messengers. So if a "muslim" said he believed in Muhammed(SAW) but did not, say, believe in Moses, then that muslim - according to the Quran - would be deemed as not believing in Muhammed(SAW) either. The ayat of the Quran which says that Muhammed(SAW) is the last prophet is:

Muhammad is not the father of any of your men, but (he is) the Messenger of God, and the Seal of the Prophets: and God has full knowledge of all things. (33:40).

Looking at your question from a wider angle, it's important to believe ANY verse of the Quran. If a muslim rejects even a single verse from the Quran, he can't really be considered a muslim.

hamayoun  
Super Mureed
Super Mureed
The Humble Muslim
bullet Posted: 01 October 2004 at 8:08am
AA

2) Why is it important to make the pilgrimage to Mecca?

I will let the Quran answer this. Bear in mind that the pilgirmage only becomes binding on a mulism if he can afford it.

From Chapter 2:

124. And remember that Abraham was tried by his Lord with certain commands, which he fulfilled: He said: "I will make thee an Imam to the Nations." He pleaded: "And also (Imams) from my offspring!" He answered: "But My Promise is not within the reach of evil-doers."

125. Remember We made the House a place of assembly for men and a place of safety; and take ye the station of Abraham as a place of prayer; and We covenanted with Abraham and Isma'il, that they should sanctify My House for those who compass it round, or use it as a retreat, or bow, or prostrate themselves (therein in prayer).

126. And remember Abraham said: "My Lord, make this a City of Peace, and feed its people with fruits,-such of them as believe in Allah and the Last Day." He said: "(Yea), and such as reject Faith,-for a while will I grant them their pleasure, but will soon drive them to the torment of Fire,- an evil destination (indeed)!"

127. And remember Abraham and Isma'il raised the foundations of the House (With this prayer): "Our Lord! Accept (this service) from us: For Thou art the All-Hearing, the All-knowing.

128. "Our Lord! make of us Muslims, bowing to Thy (Will), and of our progeny a people Muslim, bowing to Thy (will); and show us our place for the celebration of (due) rites; and turn unto us (in Mercy); for Thou art the Oft-Returning, Most Merciful.

129. "Our Lord! send amongst them an Messenger of their own, who shall rehearse Thy Signs to them and instruct them in scripture and wisdom, and sanctify them: For Thou art the Exalted in Might, the Wise."

130. And who turns away from the religion of Abraham but such as debase their souls with folly? Him We chose and rendered pure in this world: And he will be in the Hereafter in the ranks of the Righteous.

And from Chapter 22:

26. Behold! We gave the site, to Abraham, of the (Sacred) House, (saying): "Associate not anything (in worship) with Me; and sanctify My House for those who compass it round, or stand up, or bow, or prostrate themselves (therein in prayer).

27. "And proclaim the Pilgrimage among men: they will come to thee on foot and (mounted) on every kind of camel, lean on account of journeys through deep and distant mountain highways;

28. "That they may witness the benefits (provided) for them, and celebrate the name of Allah, through the Days appointed, over the cattle which He has provided for them (for sacrifice): then eat ye thereof and feed the distressed ones in want.

29. "Then let them complete the rites prescribed for them, perform their vows, and (again) circumambulate the Ancient House."

30. Such (is the Pilgrimage): whoever honours the sacred rites of Allah, for him it is good in the Sight of his Lord. Lawful to you (for food in Pilgrimage) are cattle, except those mentioned to you (as exception): but shun the abomination of idols, and shun the word that is false,-

31. Being true in faith to Allah, and never assigning partners to Him: if anyone assigns partners to Allah, is as if he had fallen from heaven and been snatched up by birds, or the wind had swooped (like a bird on its prey) and thrown him into a far- distant place.

32. Such (is his state): and whoever holds in honour the symbols of Allah, (in the sacrifice of animals), such (honour) should come truly from piety of heart.

33. In them ye have benefits for a term appointed: in the end their place of sacrifice is near the Ancient House.

34. To every people did We appoint rites (of sacrifice), that they might celebrate the name of Allah over the sustenance He gave them from animals (fit for food). But your Allah is One Allah. submit then your wills to Him (in Islam): and give thou the good news to those who humble themselves,-

35. To those whose hearts when Allah is mentioned, are filled with fear, who show patient perseverance over their afflictions, keep up regular prayer, and spend (in charity) out of what We have bestowed upon them.

36. The sacrificial camels we have made for you as among the symbols from Allah. in them is (much) good for you: then pronounce the name of Allah over them as they line up (for sacrifice): when they are down on their sides (after slaughter), eat ye thereof, and feed such as (beg not but) live in contentment, and such as beg with due humility: thus have We made animals subject to you, that ye may be grateful.

37. It is not their meat nor their blood, that reaches Allah. it is your piety that reaches Him: He has thus made them subject to you, that ye may glorify Allah for His Guidance to you and proclaim the good news to all who do right.

Will try to get to final question later on.

hamayoun  
Super Mureed
Super Mureed
The Humble Muslim
bullet Posted: 06 October 2004 at 3:14pm
What if one simply believes in one God, but does not know whether to trust a man who claims to be his profet? How should this man go about deciding if the profet in question is genuine? What becomes of the man who accepts only one God, but decides wrongly that this profet is false?

Tha answer to the last part of the question was given to us by the Prophet Mohammed(SAW), who said :

By Him in Whose hand is the life of Muhammad, he who amongst the community of Jews or Christians hears about me, but does not affirm his belief in that with which I have been sent and dies in this state (of disbelief), he shall be but one of the denizens of Hell-Fire. [Muslim 284]

And by analogy, this refers to any non muslim.

According to Imam Ghazali, the way in which a non mulism receives the message will be considered when he/she is judged by God. So if he hears the message in a very negative way, his her case would be different to someone who was given the whole, truthful undistorted message.

So how does one know if Mohammed(SAW) is genuine? Read the Quran, read about Mohammed(SAW). I suggest you start at http://www.muhammad.net, which has many resources about him.

Let us know if we can be of further assistance.

PersianPoet
Freshman
Freshman

Religion: Unknown(Unknown)
bullet Posted: 20 October 2004 at 11:04pm

Each person is born in a circumstance, which is not of his own choosing. The religion of his family or the ideology of the state is thrust upon him from the very beginning of his existence in this world. By the time he reaches his teens, he is usually fully brainwashed into believing that the beliefs of his particular society are the correct beliefs that everyone should have. However, when some people mature and are exposed to other belief-systems, they begin to question the validity of their own beliefs. The seekers of truth often reach a point of confusion upon realizing that each and every religion, sect, ideology and philosophy claims to be the one and only correct way for man. Indeed, they all encourage people to do good. So, which one is right ? They cannot all be right since each claims all others are wrong. Then how does the seeker of truth choose the right way?

God gave us all minds and intellects to enable us to make this crucial decision. It is most important decision in the life of a human being. Upon it depends his future. Consequently, each and every one of us must examine dispassionately the evidence presented and choose what appears to be right until further evidence arises.

Like every other religion or philosophy, Islam also claims to be the one and only true way to God. In his respect it is no different from other systems. The Islamic websites listed below will intend to provide some evidence for the validity of that claim. However, it must always be kept in mind that one can onlz determine the true path by putting aside emotions and prejudices, which often blind us to reality. Then, and only then, will we be able to use our God-given intelligence and make a rational and correct decision. ?   To Continue

TO  DOWNLOAD  THIS  TRUE RELIGION  OF  GOD  BOOK
naved2000
Freshman
Freshman
bullet Posted: 02 November 2004 at 10:50pm

Imam al-Haddad said (may Allah bring us benefit from him):

"Praise belongs to Allah alone. May Allah bless our master Muhammad, and his Family, and Companions, and grant them peace. We know, assent, believe, confess with certainty, and testify, that there is no god but Allah, Alone without partner. He is a Mighty God, a Great King. There is no lord beside Him, and we worship none than He. He is Ancient and Pre-Existent, Eternal and Everlasting. His firstness has no beginning, neither has His lastness any end. He is Solitary, Self-Subsistent, neither begetting nor begotten, matchless, without partner or peer. There is nothing that resembles Him, and He is the Hearer, the Seer. [42:11]

"And we confess that His holiness (Exalted in He!) renders Him beyond time and space, beyond resembling anything in existence, so that He cannot be encompassed by directions, nor be subject to contingent events. And that He is Established on His Throne in the manner which He has described, and in the sense which He has intended, in a Establishment befitting the might of His Majesty, and the exaltation of His glory and magnificence. And that He (Exalted is He!) is Near to everything in existence, being closer to man than his jugular vein. [50:16] He is Watchful and Seeing over all things. He is the Living, the Self-Subsistent, slumber overtakes Him not, nor sleep; [2:255] He is the Originator of the heavens and earth; when He decrees a thing He only says to it Be! And it is. [2:117] Allah is Creator of all things, and He is Guardian over everything. [39:62]

"And that He (Exalted is He!) is over all things Powerful, and of all things Knower; His knowledge is all-embracing and He keeps count of all things. Not an atom's weight in the earth or in the sky escapes your Lord. [10:61] He knows what goes down into the earth and that which comes forth from it, and what descends from heaven and what ascends into it. He is with you wherever you may be, and Allah is Seer of what you do. [57:4] He knows the secret thought, and what is even more concealed. [20:7] He knows what is in the land and the sea. A leaf cannot fall but that He knows it, nor is there a grain amid the darkness of the earth, nor a wet or dry thing, but that it is recorded in a clear Book. [6:59]

"And that He (Exalted is He!) wills existent things, and directs events. And that nothing may exist, whether good or evil, beneficial or harmful, except by His decree and will. Whatever He wills is, whatever He does not, is not. Should all creatures unite to move or halt a single atom in the universe, in the absence of His will, they would be unable to do so.

"And that He (Exalted is He!) is Hearer, Seer, Speaker of a Speech that is pre-existent and does not resemble the speech of creatures. And that the Mighty Qur'an is His ancient speech, His Book which He sent down upon His Messenger and Prophet Muhammad (may He bless him and grant him peace).

"And that He (Glorious is He!) is Creator of all things and their Provider, Who disposes them as He wills; neither rival nor opponent is there in His realm. He gives to whomsoever He wills and withholds from whomsoever He wills. He is not questioned about His actions, rather they are questioned. [21:23]

"And that He (Exalted is He!) is Wise in His acts, Just in His decrees, so that no injustice or tyranny can be imaginable on His part, and that no one has any rights over Him. Should He (Glorious is He!) destroy all His creatures in the blink of an eye, He would be neither unjust or tyrannous to them, for they are His dominion and His slaves. He has the right to do as He pleases in His dominion, and your Lord is not a tyrant to His slaves. [41:46] He rewards His slaves for obeying Him out of grace and generosity, and punishes them when they rebel out of His wisdom and justice.

"And that to obey Him is an obligation binding upon His bondsmen, as was made clear through the speech of His messengers (upon them be peace). We believe in every Book sent down by Allah, and in all of His messengers, His angels, and in destiny, whether good or bad.

"And we testify that Muhammad is His slave and Messenger, whom He sent to jinn and to mankind, to the Arabs and the non-Arabs, with guidance and the religion of truth, that He may cause it to prevail over all religion, though the polytheists be averse. [9:33] And that he delivered the Message, was faithful to his trust, advised the Nation, did away with grief, and strove for God's sake as is His due, being truthful and trustworthy, supported by authentic proofs and norm-breaking miracles. And that Allah has made it incumbent upon His bondsmen to believe , obey, and follow him, and that a man's faith is not acceptable – even should he believe in Him – until he believes in Muhammad (may Allah bless him and his Family and grant them peace) and in everything that he brought and informed us of, whether of the affairs of this world or the next. This includes faith in the questioning of the dead by Munkar and Nakir about religion, tawhid and Prophethood, and in the bliss which is in the grave for those who were obedient, and the torment which it contains for the rebellions.

"And that one should believe in the Resurrection after Death, the gathering of bodies and spirits to stand in the presence of Allah the Exalted, and in the Reckoning; and that His slaves will be at that time in different states, some being called to account, some being exempted, while others shall enter the Garden without reckoning. One should believe in the Scales in which good and evil deeds will be weighed; and in the Sirat, which is a bridge stretched over the depths of Hell; and in the Pool [ hawd] of our Prophet Muhammad, (may Allah bless him and his Family, and grant them peace), the water of which is from the Garden, and from which the believers shall drink before entering the Garden. And in the Intercession of the Prophets, followed by the Truthful Saints [ siddiqun], and then the ulema, the virtuous [ salihun] and the other believers. And that the Greatest Intercession is the prerogative of Muhammad (may Allah bless him and his Family, and grant them peace). And that the people of tawhid who have entered the Fire shall be taken out of it until not one person in whose heart there lies an atom's weight of faith shall remain in it eternally. And that the people of polytheism and disbelief shall abide in the Fire eternally and for evermore, their suffering shall not be diminished; neither shall they be reprieved. [2:162] And that the believers shall abide in the Garden eternally without end , wherein no tiredness shall affect them, and from which they shall not be expelled. [15:48] And that the believers shall see their Lord with their eyes, in a way befitting His Majesty and the Holiness of His Perfection.

"And that the Companions of the Messenger of Allah (may Allah bless him and his Family, and grant them peace) were virtuous, that their status was of various ranks, and that they were just, good, and trustworthy. Is not lawful to insult or denigrate any of them. And that the rightful successor [ khalifa] to the Messenger of Allah (may Allah bless him and his Family, and grant them peace) was Abu Bakr al-Siddiq, followed by ‘Umar al-Faruq, then ‘Uthman al-Shahid, then ‘Ali al-Murtada, may Allah be pleased with them and with all his other Companions, and with those who follow them with excellence until the Day of Judgement, and with us also, by Thy Mercy, O Most Merciful of the Merciful!"

Such is the rightly-guided creed, which conforms to be the Book and the Sunna. No male or female Muslim should be ignorant of it. Without affirming it one's faith is not sound. It is not a condition that every person should be able to articulate it fluently; rather, what counts is what lies in the heart.

[Source: This Aqeeda tu'l Islam (The Muslim Creed) forms the concluding chapter of one of the classics of Muslim spirituality titled An-Nasaaih id-Diniyya wa'l Wasaya al-Imaniyyah ( Sincere Religious Advices and Counsels of Faith) of Sayyidunal Imam al-Habib Abdallah bin 'Alawi al-Haddad, Rady Allahu 'Anhu. His blessed descendant, Sayyidunal Imam al-Habib Ahmad Mash-hur al-HaddadRady Allahu 'Anhu included it as chapter 17 in his well-known classic Miftahul Jannah( The Key To The Garden). The translation provided here is by Dr. Mostafa al-Badawi.]

"Whosoever chooses to follow guidance, follows it for his own good; whosoever goes astray, goes astray for his own loss"(al-Isra' 17:15)
mikalim
Freshman
Freshman

bullet Posted: 20 February 2005 at 5:56pm
Muslima007
Undergraduate
Undergraduate
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
bullet Posted: 28 April 2005 at 12:22am

Muslims believe in One, Unique, Incomparable God; in the Angels created by Him; in the prophets through whom His revelations were brought to mankind; in the Day of Judgement and individual accountability for actions; in God's complete authority over human destiny and in life after death. Muslims believe in a chain of prophets starting with Adam and including Noah, Abraham, Ishmael, Isaac, Jacob, Joseph, Job, Moses, Aaron, David, Solomon, Elias, Jonah, John the Baptist, and Jesus, peace be upon them. But God's final message to man, a reconfirmation of the eternal message and a summing-up of all that has gone before was revealed to the Prophet Muhammad through Gabriel.

iwasthere  
Freshman
Freshman

bullet Posted: 30 April 2005 at 4:18am
Just my reaction: I enjoy reading the opinions of other forum members who are able to articulate the relevant issue of concern, but I quickly skip over the lengthy tracts of scripture etc. quoted by posters. My opinion, in the interest of keeping the attention of other forum readers, who may, like myself suffer mild attention deficit disorder, is to not cut and paste prodigious paragraphs so frequently into the postings. This way, the point of the writer is more readily apparent.
but Allah know's best
<< Prev Page  of 2
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version