Hall of FameHall of Fame  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  chatChat
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Archive (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 Whyislam.org Forums : Archive : Archive
Message Icon Topic: Responding to 72 virgins in paradise(Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply Post New Topic
hamayoun  
Super Mureed
Super Mureed
The Humble Muslim
Religion: Islam(Sunni)
Forum Rating: 0
bullet Topic: Responding to 72 virgins in paradise
    Posted: 22 July 2004 at 5:49pm
AA

I don't want to blow my own trumpet, but thought it would be useful to post this e-mail thread I had. Please feel free to correct/criticize the response I gave.

Question :

I read the quran a view times, but what i still don`t understand is that when a man dies and he will go to paradise there will be 72 virgins with hazel brown eyes await for him.
And i don`t understand why???
Should paradise be understood like this something sexual.
When i think of paradise i think of all the other things that are written about it .I am a muslim sister and i don`t expect 72 young virgin man waiting for me in paradise.
This is the thing i can`t believe in ,no one could explain it to me maybe you can help me understand.
Thank you ,aslaam allikum

My answer :

Paradise is described in great detail in the Quran. One of the most important verses is the following one :

“And no soul knows what joy for them (the inhabitants of Paradise) has been kept hidden (Qur’an Chapter 32 Verse 17)”.

The Messenger of Allah (sallallahu alaihi wasallam said):

Allah said:“I have prepared for My righteous servants what no eye has seen and no ear has heard, not has it occurred to human heart”.

From these and other verses and hadith, we learn that the exact reward muslims get in Paradise is something so delightful that it cannot be even described or imagined in terms humans can understand. However, to try to make us some idea as to what it would be like, the Quran uses some worldly delights which humans can relate to. These include :

Gardens underneath which rivers flow
Gushing springs
Garments of fine silk in the best colors
Ornaments of gold and other jewels
Beautiful mansions
All the best kind of food and drinks - meat, fruit, wine, etc,
served on luxurious dishes and glasses
Couches and Thrones to sit on
Spread out, rich carpets

This is just a few of the rewards mentioned in the Quran. Now as you can see, these are all things which humans would love to have, and would delight in. Because by telling muslims that they can get these kinds of delights in Paradise, the Quran is encouraging muslims to try to reach Paradise. What is in Paradise will be far, far better than the best things that people can get in this world. And as well as the above things, the Quran does indeed talk about physical companionship. Why? because as with the other things, it is something which people are attracted to and will be willing to strive for. You are a woman, and I am a man. So I can tell you, as a man, that there is a difference between what men find attracting and what women find attracting. It is in man's nature to want to love more than one woman at the same time. It is is man's nature to want to have multiple partners at one time. So telling a man that if he works hard in this world, he will get multiple, beautiful wives in Paradise, this is just a way of encouraging men to work hard for Paradise. Now as for a woman - like you said, she probably wouldn't want multiple handsome men in Paradise waiting for her. But her reward in Paradise will be just as pleasurable and delightful as the reward for men, though different.

We should also remember that there are non tangible rewards in Paradise, of which the most important is that the people of Paradise will see Allah face to face. They will also have the good pleasure of Allah. They will be with their families. They will be of a youthful age. They will not hear the nonsense and lies you hear in this world (think CNN news). They will never get bored. And so on, the Quran relates all these things and many more.

So to sum up : both men and women will get to see, hear and feel things in Paradise that they do not get in this world. The pleasure and delights of Paradise are better than anything you can ever have in this world. The Quran has tried to give an idea of these rewards, by its description of Paradise, as an encouragement for both men and women to do good actions and stay away from forbidden things. This description includes many things that both men and women find delight in in this world, and includes - at least for men - the prospect of multiple, beautiful wives.

The Sister's response :

I would like to thank you for answering my Question, no else had ever given
me this explaination
and this makes sense to me.
I always took everything in the koran maybe to letterly,and because of this
isseu I felt like I was doubing the written words and maybe would not be a
good muslim sister by doing this.
No my heart is at eas, and I am with peace with your explanation.
May Allah give me patience, Ameen.

My blog: http://regularbaba.blogspot.com/
No Guest-Voting   IP IP Logged
Abu Bakr  
Religion: Islam(Sunni)
bullet Posted: 23 July 2004 at 12:13am

MashaAllah Bro Hamayoun!        Nice explaination.

Abu Bakr

There is no god but He (Allah): that is the witness of Allah, His Angels, and those endued with knowlege, standing firm on justice. There is no god but He the Exhaulted in Power, The Wise Al-Imran 18
Saladin  
Freshman
Freshman
Religion: Islam(Muslim)
bullet Posted: 23 July 2004 at 2:03am

Very good response. It's the kind of open-minded Islamic response I've been talking to you about through PM...

One who teaches goodness to others while neglecting his own soul is like an oil lamp,which illumines others while burning itself out"-Prophet Muhammad

http://islamicjustice.blogspot.com/
naserek
Freshman
Freshman
Religion: Unknown(Unknown)
bullet Posted: 23 July 2004 at 8:42pm

Assalalmu Alaikum Warahmatuallah wa Barakatuhu

"So to sum up : both men and women will get to see, hear and feel things in Paradise that they do not get in this world. The pleasure and delights of Paradise are better than anything you can ever have in this world. The Quran has tried to give an idea of these rewards, by its description of Paradise, as an encouragement for both men and women to do good actions and stay away from forbidden things. This description includes many things that both men and women find delight in in this world, and includes - at least for men - the prospect of multiple, beautiful wives. "

Mashallah! Br. Hamayoun

"I am leaving you with two things. As long as you stick to them you shall never be misguided. They are the Qur'an and my Sunnah." (Sahih Muslim 1/397)
Monica
bullet Posted: 25 July 2004 at 8:47am

Aslamaalaykim,

This was an excellent post. I must agree with the sister in how I read this verse. because surely for a women 72 virgins is not what we would call paradise. you summed up the explaination very soundly. It is something that I will consider deeply.

I have a question what would appeal; to women in offering them to strive in the way of Allah, can anyone offer a verse that speaks to this? 

I like to believe that women are as important as men in the creation of Allah,not merely spouses,or mates for the believeing men. But creations of Allah with purposes beyond this basic need. 

Alhumdulillah,the most high <M>
dawa_daily
Freshman
Freshman
bullet Posted: 27 July 2004 at 8:53am

Assalamualaikum Br. Hamayoun,

Thank you for what is for me a very moving lesson.  Your post touched my heart.  I do not have words.

Peace,

Greg

Volume 3, Book 43, Number 637:
Narrated 'Aisha:

The Prophet said, "The most hated person in the sight of Allah is the most quarrelsome person."
Kobtan79
Moderator:Islam Legal Rulings/Q's Islam
bullet Posted: 27 July 2004 at 10:44am

Asslamu alikum Sis Monica...

Actually there are alot of hadeeth to this effect ...You know that women are not obligated to strive by the sword ,even though if my memory is correct during the battle of Uhud the Muslims had in the begining started to win and the disbelievers fled .And the prophet (Pbuh) had appointed 50 archerers on the Mount of Uhud to stop any disbelievers from attacking the Muslims from behind.But when the archereres saw that the Muslims were winning they left thier positions to claim thier spoils of war.Only 10 remained on the Mountain. At that battle Khalid ibn Al-waleed  was a disbeliever and also a very clever army leader,so when he saw that the muslims had left thier postions he took the army and circled the mountain and attacked the muslims from behind .Prophet Muhammad was left to fight alone and there were'nt many muslims around him ( for protection) ..There was a woman who saw what the situation was and out of fear that the prophet might be harmed took a sword and fought off the disbelivers .She fought untill they had cut-off her limbs. Subhan'Allah.

As for hadeeths there is one i remember right now ( i know there is more but i am at work) narrated on the authority of Abdulrahman ibn Aouf that the Prophet(pbuh) said:" If a woman prayed her five daily prayers and fasted the month she is required to fast and safe-guarded her private parts and obeyed her husband ; she will be told to enter paradise from any door  she wants"

Allah is Merciful .

Edited by Kobtan79
Kobtan79
Moderator:Islam Legal Rulings/Q's Islam
bullet Posted: 27 July 2004 at 10:48am
I also wanted to say that the Verses in the Quran are intended for both man and woman ...
Monica
bullet Posted: 27 July 2004 at 1:05pm

Thank you so much for those verse Kobtan,

I realize that it is writen for men and women, this is one of the things that I notice upon reading Quran that women are directly addressed in the Quran.And in other Holy Books they are spoken to through men tell your women this..or that..or they should not do this or that. but Quran adress us indivually, and collectively as the believers with out regard to sex.

Alhumdulillah,the most high <M>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version