Print Page | Close Window

Womens rights in Islam and how it compares...

Printed From: WhyIslam.org
Category: General
Forum Name: InterReligious Dialogue
Forum Discription: Forum for people of various faiths to discuss and inquire about different religions
URL: http://www.whyislam.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=22271
Printed Date: 22 April 2019 at 6:45pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 8.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Womens rights in Islam and how it compares...
Posted By: The Sentry
Subject: Womens rights in Islam and how it compares...
Date Posted: 27 March 2008 at 6:45pm
How would you compare womans rights in Islam to other religions?

and while we are discussing that, how does it compare to western atitudes of western women being more independant etc?

p.s I did want to post this in the Islam only section, but because I cant post there for some reason I've had to make do with this place instead and in addition I had to adapt what I originaly had in mind but I guess it worked lol.

Replies:
Posted By: M.A.R.W.A.N
Date Posted: 27 March 2008 at 6:55pm
AA,

Nice adaptation bro....

Before people start comparing cliff notes, I think it good for people to see that Islam refers to Islamic teachings, Qur'an & Sunnah....these are comprehensive set of guidance muslims believe in. While the West, of which muslims are part of, is made up of countless various beliefs. The West does not have one set standard everyone can agree upon, that's why statement for/against the West's way can only be in generalizations (unlike Islam). We have so many faiths, we also have culture to consider and traditions, which make up for the rest of our various moral codes.

With that in mind - I as a muslim think women's rights are the best within Islam, simply because I believe that God made these rights and God is perfect in His wisdom. The duty mankind has is to uphold them. The West is relatively new to women's rights issues, even then it tends to fluctuate (compared to Islam) up and down depending on fashion (I don't mean clothes), the general trend of human rights, politics, etc.....That's my take.

Some quotes I love:

Because I am a woman, I must make unusual efforts to succeed. If I fail, no one will say, "She doesn't have what it takes." They will say, "Women don't have what it takes." ~Clare Boothe Luce

"I myself have never been able to find out precisely what feminism is: I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a door mat or a prostitute." ~Rebecca West, "Mr Chesterton in Hysterics: A Study in Prejudice," The Clarion, 14 Nov 1913

I keept editing, but I couldn't leave w/o m favourite feminist, Zainab al-Ghazali, who said: "Islam gave women rights in the family granted by no other society. Women may talk of liberation in Christian society, Jewish society, or pagan society, but in Islamic society it is a grave error to speak of the liberation of women" ~ get it, it's because in Islam, women's rights were from the inception of God's revelation to mankind - to say otherwise is to accuse Allah and His Messenger pbuh of not having fulfilled human rights, which as you know, is one of the most important aspects of our deen. Like they say.....And Justice for All.

-------------
http://www.islamonline.net/english/index.shtml - www.islamonline.net

Date Posted: 27 March 2008 at 7:48pm
Zainab al-Ghazali <- could you try explaining that again please? I felt confused, if Islam gave women rights, why is it a grave error to speak of liberation of women?

Posted By: hannah114
Date Posted: 27 March 2008 at 7:55pm
because Islam already liberated women

-------------

Posted By: M.A.R.W.A.N
Date Posted: 27 March 2008 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by hannah114

because Islam already liberated women

Yeah TS, Hannah hit it on the spot.

Think of it as denying that Islam is complete - as Allah teaches us in the Qur'an 5:3
“...This day have I perfected your religion for you, completed My favor upon you, and have chosen for you Islam as your religion.”

-------------
http://www.islamonline.net/english/index.shtml - www.islamonline.net

Posted By: mai moslemah
Date Posted: 27 March 2008 at 9:46pm
hope links here help

http://www.islamreligion.com/category/101/ - http://www.islamreligion.com/category/101/

-------------
But don`t you see?that i am truely free? this piece of scarf on me;i wear so proudly to preserve my dignity,modesty & integrity....why can`t i just be me??? "i am the one who is free!!!!

Posted By: Misbah
Date Posted: 27 March 2008 at 9:51pm
Salaam,

You know this is astonishing! i just Googled the title of this thread and came up with this! http://womenshistory.about.com/od/islamandwomen/tp/aatpislam.htm - http://womenshistory.about.com/od/islamandwomen/tp/aatpislam.htm

I just found it so well, shocked to see not one postive thing said about this! all i got was 'From a Muslim and feminist perspective.'

Gosh, people really do dislike Islam isn't it.

-------------
"Don’t be so humble - you ain't that great."

Posted By: hannah114
Date Posted: 27 March 2008 at 10:04pm
I have to say I'm not so suprised, as whenever I google an islamic topic it comes up with alot of hateful jibberish and some realy nasty things said about Islam. Come to think of it, when I go to a bookstore like Chapters, lately I have seen so many non-fiction (lol, how ironic they call it that) books about oppressed women in islamic societies and its rare to find a book there that says something good about islam. they all have titles like 'behind the veil' etc etc   like this is the true story of all muslim women on the planet who secretly wish to be freed from their life in Islam, and women who leave islam or wish to alter islam to a new improved version are seen as heroes.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 March 2008 at 8:48am
I see that alot myself, thanks for the links I shall check and comment on them later.

But yeah I do feel that Islam is misrepresented, especially in the media (words like "Muslim Militants" come to mind)

I feel that its just propaganda for whatever agendas they have regarding the middle east really.

Posted By: scruggnut
Date Posted: 28 March 2008 at 2:37pm

When people are afraid of something, it usually does get misrepresented in a negative fashion.

By the same token, the same thing is usually misrepresented, albeit in a positive fashion, by those who are immersed it...can't see the forest for the trees sort of thing.

I know that very few, if any, muslims will agree with that statement...just like very few catholics would agree with it if i were referring to catholicism...just like very few westerners would agree about the same statement as regards western society; and so on and so on.

-------------
Waiting an eternity for an apology from one who never apologizes but always demands one.

Posted By: LtTony
Date Posted: 28 March 2008 at 2:39pm

I agree, scrugg.

-------------
"“We love death. The US loves life. That is the difference between us two.” Osama Bin Laden

Posted By: Challa
Date Posted: 31 March 2008 at 2:38pm
I think the difference is that society here in the west is all about independence... so you do what you like, when you like with very little interference from others.

My experiences in Islam is that first you are never independent as by its cetnral core you are dependent upon Allah. And that since you should be striving to live your life in submission, that means you have responsibilites to others.. independence is relative.

Date Posted: 31 March 2008 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by Challa

I think the difference is that society here in the west is all about independence... so you do what you like, when you like with very little interference from others.

My experiences in Islam is that first you are never independent as by its cetnral core you are dependent upon Allah. And that since you should be striving to live your life in submission, that means you have responsibilites to others.. independence is relative.
I think you have the wrong idea of independance.  It is kind of like (if you believe in god) the idea that god gave us all free will.
We, in the west, while having the choice to do what we like, within legal parameters, of course; also have to make those choices (if we are smart) with an eye to the future (which is always destined to become the past), not just the now.
Just because we have all of these choices, it doesn't mean that we can do anything we like, as you alluded to...what it means is that, because the right choices are often hidden amongst several wrong choices, we have to be especially careful when we make our choices in discerning which ones are proper.
Having said that, there seems to be an abundance of stupid people who make stupid choices, and not even islam or allah, for that matter, can keep them from doing such a thing.

-------------
Waiting an eternity for an apology from one who never apologizes but always demands one.

Date Posted: 31 March 2008 at 2:55pm
Oh; but as far as womens rights go, i have no idea who, the west or islam, grants more rights to the fairer sex than the other.
I do know that just because women can walk around half naked in the west, does not imply in the least that they have more rights than a muslim woman.  That is logic that i just cannot grasp.  "i can show my boobs so i am more free", just sounds so lame and idiotic.

-------------

Posted By: BookWorm
Date Posted: 31 March 2008 at 3:07pm
There are legislative rights {rights written on the books} and there are active rights {the rights that are practiced daily within society}. Islamic rule offers women a great deal of legislative rights but Muslim majority society offer women very little active rights and often times they supersede Islamic rulings that favor the woman and instead place cultural specific rulings because that's how their forefathers did things and God forbid they actually obey God and his teachings. I don't blame non-Muslims who look to Muslim countries and come back with the conclusion that Islam is unfair towards women. There needs to be a great deal of educating going around among men and women to bring about an end to this cycle of oppression.

Date Posted: 31 March 2008 at 3:08pm
In many cases, both the western world and the islamic world, seem backwards and confused.
But that is just my opinion.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums version 8.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2006 Web Wiz Guide - http://www.webwizguide.info