Forum Discription: Religious and non religious topics
URL: http://www.whyislam.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=25780
Printed Date: 19 July 2019 at 4:45am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 8.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Mulla Nasruddin Stories...
Posted By: a well wisher
Subject: Mulla Nasruddin Stories...
Date Posted: 25 September 2009 at 12:30am

"May the Will of Allah be done," a pious man was saying about something or the other. "It always is, in any case," said Mullah Nasruddin. "How can you prove that, Mullah?" asked the man. "Quite simply. If it wasn't always being done, then surely at some time or another my will would be done, wouldn't it?"

-------------
La ilaha ill-Allah, Muhammadur Rasulullah

Replies:
Date Posted: 25 September 2009 at 6:09pm

"What is fate?" Nasrudin was asked by a scholar. "An endless succession of intertwined events, each influencing the other."

"That is hardly a satisfactory answer. I believe in cause and effect."

"Very well," said the Mulla, "look at that." He pointed to a procession passing in the street.

"That man is being taken to be hanged. Is that because someone gave him a silver piece and enabled him to buy the knife with which he committed the murder; or because somebody saw him do it; or because nobody stopped him?"

-------------

Date Posted: 27 September 2009 at 4:14am

Psychology Today

Nasrudin was throwing handfuls of crumbs around his house.
"What are you doing?" someone asked him.
"Keeping the tigers away."
"But there are no tigers in these parts."
"That's right. Effective, isn't it?

-------------

Date Posted: 27 September 2009 at 7:03pm

Allah will provide," said Nasrudin one day to a man who was complaining that someone had stolen some cash from his house.
The man expressed doubt.

Nasrudin took him to the mosque, and rolled on the ground, calling upon Allah to restore the man's twenty silver coins.

Annoyed by his presence, the congregation made a collection and the sum was handed to the surprised loser.

"You may not understand the means which operate in this world," said the Mullah, "but I trust that you understand the end when it is handed to you in such a concrete form."

-------------

Date Posted: 28 September 2009 at 7:13pm

Laws as such do not make people better," said Mulla Nasrudin to the King; "they must practice certain things, in order to become attuned to inner truth. This form of truth resembles apparent truth only slightly."

The King decided that he could, and would, make people observe the truth. He could make them practice truthfulness.

His city was entered by a bridge. On this he built a gallows. The following day, when the gates were opened at dawn, the Captain of the Guard was stationed with a squad of troops to examine all who entered.

An announcement was made: "Everyone will be questioned. If he tells the truth, he will be allowed to enter. If he lies, he will be hanged."

Nasrudin stepped forward.

"Where are you going?"

"I am on my way," said Nasrudin slowly, "to be hanged."

"We don't believe you!"

"Very well, if I have told a lie, hang me!"

"But if we hang you for lying, we will have made what you said come true!"

"That's right: now you know what truth is - YOUR truth!"

-------------

Posted By: Deserves2Die
Date Posted: 29 September 2009 at 11:04am
nice

-------------
Propagate Islam, atleast Once DAILY

Date Posted: 29 September 2009 at 7:05pm
Thank you Brother...Glad you liked them....

Once a renowned philosopher and moralist was travelling through Nasruddin’s village when he asked him where there was a good place to eat. Nasruddin suggested a place and the scholar, hungry for conversation, invited the Mullah to join him. Much obliged, Mullah Nasruddin accompanied the scholar to a nearby restaurant, where they asked the waiter about the special of the day.

“Fish! Fresh Fish!” replied the waiter.

“Bring us two,” they answered.

A few minutes later, the waiter brought out a large platter with two cooked fish on it, one of which was quite a bit smaller than the other. Without hesitating, Mullah Nasruddin took the larger of the fish and put in on his plate.

The scholar, giving Mullah Nasruddin a look of intense disbelief, proceeded to tell him that what he did was not only blatantly selfish, but violated the principles of almost every known moral, religious, and ethical system. Mullah Nasruddin calmly listened to the philosopher’s extempore lecture patiently, and when he had finally exhausted his resources, Mullah Nasruddin said,

“Well, Sir, what would you have done?”

“I, being a conscientious human, would have taken the smaller fish for myself.”

“And here you are,” Mullah Nasruddin said, and placed the smaller fish on the gentleman’s plate.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 September 2009 at 4:59pm

The Mullah got a job at the Bazaar as a porter. Today he had to load bags of wheat onto a cart. The foreman noticed that he was carrying one bag whereas the other workers carried two.

The Foreman asked the Mullah,
"How come you only carry one bag at a time and all the others carry two?"

The Mullah replied, "I'm not that lazy to make one trip when I can make two."

-------------

Date Posted: 01 October 2009 at 4:59pm

Mullah Nasrudin came upon a frowning man walking along the road to town. “What’s wrong?” he asked. The man held up a tattered bag and moaned, “All that I own in this wide world barely fills this miserable, wretched sack.”

“Too bad,” said Mullah, and with that, he snatched the bag from the man’s hands and ran down the road with it.

Having lost everything, the man burst into tears and, more miserable than before, continued walking. Meanwhile, Mullah quickly ran around the bend and placed the man’s sack in the middle of the road where he would have to come upon it.

When the man saw his bag sitting in the road before him, he laughed with joy, and shouted, “My sack! I thought I’d lost you!”

Watching through the bushes, Mullah chuckled. “Well, that’s one way to make someone happy!”

-------------

Date Posted: 02 October 2009 at 7:16pm

Mullah Nasruddin had lost his ring, so he set out to search for it under the street light.
Others came to help him search.
Finally when asked if he was certain he had dropped it in this spot, he said,
"No, I lost it there," and pointed to his house.
The others asked incredulously:
"Then why are you looking for it here?"
Mullah Nasruddin said, while trying to look clever:

"Because it is dark where I lost it, and it is light out here!"

-------------

Date Posted: 03 October 2009 at 6:14pm

Every first of the month the Mullah would cross the border with thirty donkeys with two bails of straw on each. Each time the custom person would ask the Mullah's profession and the Mullah would reply, "I am an honest smuggler." So each time The Mullah, his donkeys and the bails of straw would be searched from top to toe. Each time the custom folk would not find anything. Next week the Mullah would return without his donkeys or bails of straw. Years went by and the Mullah prospered in his smuggling profession to the extent that he retired. Many years later the custom person too had retired. As it happened one day the two former adversaries met in a country far from home. The two hugged each other like old buddies and started talking. After a while the custom person asked the question which had been bugging him over the years, "Mullah, please let me know what were you smuggling all those years ago?"

The mullah thought for a few seconds and finally revealed his open secret, "Donkeys."

-------------

Date Posted: 04 October 2009 at 6:03pm

As Nasruddin emerged form the mosque after prayers, a beggar sitting on the street solicited alms. The following conversation followed:
- Are you extravagant? asked Nasruddin.
- Yes Nasruddin. replied the beggar.
- Do you like sitting around drinking coffee and smoking? asked Nasruddin.
- Yes. replied the beggar.
- I suppose you like to go to the baths everyday? asked Nasruddin.
- Yes. replied the beggar.
- ...And maybe amuse yourself, even, by drinking with friends? asked Nasruddin.
- Yes I like all those things. replied the beggar.
- Tut, Tut, said Nasruddin, and gave him a gold piece.
A few yards farther on. another beggar who had overheard the conversation begged for alms also.
- Are you extravagant? asked Nasruddin.
- No, Nasruddin replied second beggar.
- Do you like sitting around drinking coffee and smoking? asked Nasruddin.
- No. replied second beggar.
- I suppose you like to go to the baths everyday? asked Nasruddin.
- No. replied second beggar.
- ...And maybe amuse yourself, even, by drinking with friends? asked Nasruddin.
- No, I want only to live meagerly and to pray. replied second beggar.
Whereupon Nasruddin gave him a small copper coin.
- But why, wailed the second beggar, do you give me, an economical and pious
man, a penny, when you gave that extravagant fellow a sovereign?

Ah my friend, replied Nasruddin, his needs are greater than yours.

-------------

Date Posted: 05 October 2009 at 6:14pm

One hot day, Nasruddin was taking it easy in the shade of a walnut tree. After a while he started eying speculatively, the huge pumpkins growing on vines and the small walnuts growing on a majestic tree.

Sometimes I just can't understand the ways of God! he mused.

Just fancy letting tiny walnuts grow on so majestic a tree and huge pumpkins on the delicate vines!

Just then a walnut snapped off and fell smack on Mullah Nasruddin's bald head. He got up at once and lifting up his hands and face to heavens in supplication, said:

- Oh, my God! Forgive my questioning your ways! You are all-wise. Where would I have been now, if pumpkins grew on trees!

-------------

Date Posted: 06 October 2009 at 5:20pm

One day Nasrudin was walking along a deserted road. Night was falling as he spied a troop of horsemen coming toward him. His imagination began to work, and he feared that they might rob him, or impress him into the army. So strong did this fear become that he leaped over a wall and found himself in a graveyard.

The other travelers, innocent of any such motive as had been assumed by Nasrudin, became curious and pursued him.

When they came upon him lying motionless, one said, "Can we help you? And, why are you here in this position?"

Nasrudin, realizing his mistake said, "It is more complicated than you assume. You see, I am here because of you; and you, you are here because of me."

-------------

Date Posted: 07 October 2009 at 5:10pm

Obligation

Nasrudin nearly fell into a pool one day. A man whom he knew slightly was nearby, and saved him. Every time he met nasrudin after that he would remind him of the service which he had performed. When this had happened several times nasrudin took him to the water, jumped in, stood with his head just above water and shouted:

"Now I am as wet as I would have been if you had not saved me! Leave me alone."

-------------

Date Posted: 08 October 2009 at 11:31pm

'Can you Identify Yourself?'

Nasrudin went into a bank that he did not usually use and asked to withdraw a large sum of money from his account. The bank clerk was naturally suspicious and asked him politely:

Have you any means of identifying yourself?

Nasrudin reached down into the pockets of his long cloak and found an ornate mirror. He held the mirror up and looked studiously into it and exclaimed to the clerk:

Yes, that's me all right.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 October 2009 at 6:50pm

The philosophers, logicians and doctors of law were drawn up at Court to examine Mulla Nasrudin. This was a serious case, because he had admitted going from village to village saying: "The so-called wise men are ignorant, irresolute, and confused." He was charged with undermining the security of the State.

"You may speak first," said the King.

"Have paper and pens brought," said the Mulla. Paper and pens were brought.

"Give some to each of the first seven savants." The pens were distributed.

"Have them separately write an answer to this question: "What is bread?" This was done. THe papers were handed to the King who read them out:

The first said: "Bread is a food."

The second: "It is flour and water."

The third: "A gift of God."

The fourth: "Baked dough."

The fifth: "Changeable, according to how you mean 'bread.'"

The sixth: "A nutritious substance."

The seventh: "Nobody really knows."

"When they decide what bread is," said Nasrudin, "it will be possible for them to decide other things. For example, whether I am right or wrong. Can you entrust matters of assessment and judgment to people like this? Is it not strange that they cannot agree about something which they eat each day, yet are unanimous that I speak with no knowledge?"

-------------

Date Posted: 10 October 2009 at 10:38pm

Nasrudin was sitting among the branches of a tree,
sniffing the blossoms and sunning himself.
A traveller with a sincere intention asked him what he was doing there.

'Climbing the Great Pyramid.'

'You are nowhere near a pyramid.
And there are four ways up a pyramid:
one by each face.
That is a tree!'
'Yes!' said the Mulla.
'But it's much more fun like this, don't you think?
Birds, blossoms, zephyrs, sunshine.
I hardly think I could have done better.'

-------------

Date Posted: 11 October 2009 at 7:16pm

One day Mulla Nasrudin said to his wife, 'Bring me a piece of cheese.

Cheese is nutritious, pleasing to the taste, and easy to eat.'
'Mulla!' she cried, 'there's no cheese in the house.'
Nasrudin continued, 'Cheese can go bad and smell. It can give you nightmares - and it costs too much.'

'Now,' said Mrs Nasrudin, 'which statement is the right one?'

'It all depends,' said the Mulla, 'on whether you have any cheese or not.'

-------------

Date Posted: 12 October 2009 at 6:45pm

Mulla Nasrudin had an insatiable craving for knowledge, but did not seem to know what knowledge was. As a result he asked a local wise man the stupidest questions, always based upon random assumptions.

One day the Mulla noticed that his donkey was missing. He ran to the wise man's house.

'Well, Mulla, what is it this time?'
'My donkey is gone! Where can I find it?'

The wise man was quite fed up with the Mulla. 'Nasrudin,' he said, 'the donkey has run off, turned into a man and been ap-pointed the magistrate in the next town.'

Thanking the wise man for his information, the Mulla trudged to the court. There sat the magistrate, and Nasrudin shook his fist at him:

'Come home at once, you foolish animal!'
The magistrate was furious. 'Who are you and how dare you talk to me like that? I'll have you sent to the cells!'
'I'm the well-known Mulla Nasrudin, and I have it on the best authority that you are my donkey.'

'That's ridiculous. Nobody in his right senses would credit such a thing!'
Nasrudin drew himself up to his full height. 'Say what you like he said, 'I prefer to believe the statement of a wise man rather than that of a donkey.'

-------------

Date Posted: 13 October 2009 at 7:27pm

One day Nasrudin and his friend stopped at a little restaurant. They were both very thirsty and decided to share a glass of milk. When the milk came, the friend suggested that Nasrudin drink half first.”I have got a little sugar with me,” said the friend, “but it is just enough for me. So after you have drunk your half I will add the sugar to my half.”

"Why don’t you add it now?” Nasrudin said. “I will only drink my half.” “No, no. This little bit of sugar cannot sweeten a full glass of milk,” said the man. So Nasrudin went and got some salt from the kitchen.

”Well then,” he said. “You can sweeten your half later. But I will have my half after adding this salt to it.”

-------------

Date Posted: 16 October 2009 at 12:19am

One day an illiterate man came to Mullah Nasruddin with a letter he had received. 
Mullah Nasruddin, please read this letter to me.
Mullah Nasruddin looked at the letter, but could not make out a single word. So he told the man.
I am sorry, but I cannot read this. The man cried:
For shame, Mullah Nasruddin ! You must be ashamed before the turban you wear (i.e. the sign of education)
Mullah Nasruddin removed the turban from his own head and placed it on the head of the illiterate man, said:
There, now you wear the turban. If it gives some knowledge, read the letter yourself.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 October 2009 at 12:58am
Avoiding Criticism

Mullah Nasrudin and his son were riding the donkey to the town market. A group of people passed. Mulla heard them whisper: “What times are these? Look at those two, have they no mercy on the poor animal?”

Nasrudin, hearing this, tells his son to get off and continue the journey on foot. Another group of people passing by and seeing this comment: “What times are these? Look at this man. His poor son with his frail body has to walk while he at his best age is riding the donkey!”

Hearing this, Nasrudin tells his son to ride the donkey and he himself gets off to walk the rest of the way. A third group of people seeing this remark: “What times are these? This young man is riding the donkey while his sickly old father has to walk!”

Hearing this, Nasrudin tells his son to get off the animal and they both walk with the donkey trailing behind. Another group passing by point to them, laughing: “Look at these idiots. They have a donkey and they are walking all the way to the market!”

-------------

Date Posted: 17 October 2009 at 7:52pm

Philosopher: “I have been traveling, researching, and contemplating for years, trying to determine when the end of the world will be—yet I still have not found out the answer. Mulla, do you know when the end of the world will be?”

Nasrudin: “Yes—I have known that information for a long time.”

Philosopher: “Well, will you share this knowledge with me?”

Nasrudin: “Of course. When I die, that will be the end of the world.”

Philosopher: “Are you certain that will be the end of the world?”

Nasrudin: “It will be for me.”

-------------

Date Posted: 18 October 2009 at 7:25pm

The Town Gossip: “Nasrudin, I just saw a huge tub of stew that some men were transporting.”

Nasrudin: “What’s it to me?”
The Town Gossip: “They were delivering it to your house.”

Nasrudin: “What’s it to you?”

-------------

Date Posted: 19 October 2009 at 11:52pm

A monk enters and states:

"My master taught me to spread the word that mankind will never be fulfilled until the man who has not been wronged is as indignant about a wrong as the man who actually has been wronged."

The assembly is momentarily impressed.

Then Nasruddin speaks: "My master taught me that nobody at all should become indignant about anything until he is sure that what he think is a wrong is in fact a wrong-and not a blessing in disguise!"

-------------

Date Posted: 20 October 2009 at 11:38pm

Nasrudin went to a Turkish bath. As he was poorly dressed the attendants treated him in a casual manner, gave him only a scrap of soap and an old towel. When he left, Nasrudin gave the two men a gold coin each. He had not complained, and they could not understand it. Could it be, they wondered, that if he had been better treated he would have given an even larger tip?

The following week Nasrudin appeared again. This time, of course, he was looked after like a king. After being massaged, perfumed and treated with the utmost deference, he left the bath, handing each attendant the smallest possible copper coin.

"This," said Nasrudin, "is for last time. The gold coins were for this week."

-------------

Date Posted: 21 October 2009 at 7:26pm

One day Nasrudin asked a wealthy man for some money.

"What do you want it for?"

"To buy an elephant."

"If you have no money you will not be able to maintain an
elephant."

"I asked for money, not advice!"

-------------

Date Posted: 23 October 2009 at 1:11am

One day, a seeker, after a lengthy and difficult search, finds Nasrudin sitting in a hut on the side of a mountain. Knowing that every action of the illuminated teacher is important, the seeker asks why Nasrudin is blowing on his hands. "They're cold, so I'm warming them," Nasrudin says.

A little while later, Nasrudin produces two bowls of soup, and begins to blow on his own. Again, the seeker asks why, and this time Nasrudin says he's cooling it. With that, the seeker leaves, "unable to trust any longer a man who uses the same process to arrive at opposite results!"

-------------

Date Posted: 24 October 2009 at 1:44am

Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side:

- "Hey! how do I get across?"

- "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

-------------

Date Posted: 25 October 2009 at 3:24am

Nasrudin was a judge and arbitrator in a dispute. First the advocate of the first side gave an eloquent discourse advancing his claims. Nasrudin who had been listening intently agreed and said, "That's right." Next it was the other advocates turn and he was just as erudite. Once more Nasrudin agreed adding, "That's right." His clerk listening to  Nasrudin's pronouncements commented, "They can't both be right."  Nasrudin said, "That's right!"

-------------

Date Posted: 26 October 2009 at 1:46am
To What End

The board of a large company were working on their mission statement.

"What is your fundamental purpose?" asked Nasrudin.

"Our mission is to create constantly increasing dividends for our shareholders," they declared.

"To what end?" asked Nasrudin.

"So they make increased profits which they will want to reinvest in our company," they said.

"To what end?" asked Nasrudin.

"So they make more profits," they said, becoming somewhat irritated.

"To what end?" asked Nasrudin nonchalantly.

"So they re-invest and make more profits."

Nasrudin pondered this for a while and thanked them for their explanations.

Later that week they had arranged to visit Nasrudin's house to work further on the Mission Statement. They found him in his garden stuffing oats into his donkey.

"What are you doing?" they asked. "You are giving that poor beast so much food that it will not be able to go anywhere."

"But it is not meant to go anywhere," Nasrudin replied. "Its purpose is to produce manure."

"To what end?" they asked.

"Because without it I can not grow enough oats in my small allotment to feed this greedy beast."

-------------

Date Posted: 27 October 2009 at 4:10am

A troubled man went to Mullah Nasruddin for some advice.

“Mullah, I have been trying to grow a rose garden. But all the rose bushes I plant just wither and die. The only flower that does grow are common dandelions. Weeds! They’re everywhere and I just can’t get rid of them. What can I do mullah?”

The mullah thought for a while, “Why don’t you begin your garden all over again?”

“I’ve tried that. I replanted my garden from scratch, but the blooming dandelions just keep growing back again!”

Mullah Nasruddin pondered the options, “You won’t appreciate this, but my advice would be to move house, maybe even city, to where roses will grow better.”

“Oh, no, I cant move house again, I cant afford to, besides, we just moved there. Is there nothing else we can do?”

“Well,” said the Mullah gravely, “This is really the last resort then.  I don’t see what else can be done. I’m afraid you will just have to learn to love dandelions.”

-------------

Date Posted: 28 October 2009 at 7:32am

A philosophy professor walked in to give his class their final.
Placing his chair on his desk the professor instructed the class:

“Using every applicable thing you’ve learned in this course, prove to me that this chair does not exist.”

So, pencils writing and erasers erasing, the students launched into their epic essays to prove that this chair didn’t exist … except, that was, for one student: young Nasrudin.

He spent thirty seconds writing his answer, then promptly turned his paper in to the astonishment of both his peers and the professor, and returned to his seat to await the end of the lesson.

Time went by, and the day came when all the students get their final grades … And to the amazment of the class, young Nasrudin, the student who wrote for thirty seconds received the highest grade in the class.

And his answer to the question, which quite transported the philosophy professor himself?

“What chair?”

-------------

Date Posted: 29 October 2009 at 3:10am

Nasrudin, en route to market, loads bags of salt on his donkey’s back. They come to a river. Nasrudin tries to lead the donkey across the shallow causeway but the donkey chooses to cross at the deepest part. The salt dissolves in the water. The donkey trips lightly up the other bank and trots off.

Next market day Nasrudin loads the donkey with bales of wool. The donkey once again chooses the deep part of the river. The wool absorbs the water. The donkey staggers up the river bank, the bags weighing heavily on his back. Nasrudin turns to him and says, “You thought that every time you entered the river you would come off lightly, didn’t you?”

-------------

Date Posted: 30 October 2009 at 12:40am

The King and Nasrudin were in a strange
town. "Nasrudin" said the king, "let us
stroll incognito in the city and see how it
is like."

Nasrudin readily agreed and they
went. People did not recognize the King
in his disguise, and paid him no attention
but many smiled at Nasrudin.

When they returned, the King said: "Nasrudin,
you told me you have never been here before,
but seems you know a lot of local people!"
"Why, your majesty?"

"Well, I've seen a lot of
passers-by smile at you!"

"Oh, that's simple, Majesty.
 You see, I smiled at them!"

-------------

Date Posted: 31 October 2009 at 2:27am

One day Nasrudin went to a rich merchant's house for a feast. As he was dressed in laborer's clothes he was shown to the servant's entrance and given a few scraps. Next week he was invited to the same place and he dressed in his best attire looking as good as any prince. He was welcomed at the front door and given the place of  honour next to the host. He ate a morsel of bread and then started putting all the rich food offered to him onto his sleeves. His host asked him, "What are doing my good man?" "I'm feeding my clothes," the Mullah replied, "It deserves the good food since my worth was established last week."

-------------

Date Posted: 01 November 2009 at 1:55am

Once upon a time Nasrudin asked for a job as a timber merchant and he got it. The pay was really good and so were the work conditions. For that reason, he was determined to do his best.

His boss gave him an axe and showed him the area where he was supposed to work. The first day Nasrudin brought 18 trees.

"Congratulations," the boss said. "Go on that way!"

Very motivated by the boss' words,Nasrudin tried harder the next day, but he could only bring 15 trees. The third day he tried even harder, but he could only bring 10 trees. Day after day he was bringing less and less trees.

"I must be losing my strength", he thought. He went to the boss and apologized, saying that he could not understand what was going on.

"When was the last time you sharpened your axe?" the boss asked.

"Sharpen? I had no time to sharpen my axe. I have been very busy trying to cut trees."

Our lives are like that...

-------------

Date Posted: 02 November 2009 at 3:10am

AMBITION

Nasrudin was being interviewed for employment in a department store.

The personnel manager said: 'We like ambitious men here. What sort of a job are you after?' 'All right,' said Nasrudin, 'I'll have your job.'

'Are you mad?'

'I may well be,' said the Mulla, 'but is that a necessary qualification?'

-------------

Date Posted: 03 November 2009 at 3:39am

Nasrudin finds a mirror lying on the roadside and picks it up.
When he sees the ugly image in it, he drops it, saying

"No wonder it was thrown away!

-------------

Date Posted: 04 November 2009 at 1:45pm

"When I was in the desert," said Nasrudin one day, "I caused an entire tribe of horrible and bloodthirsty bedouins to run."
"However did you do it?"
 "Easy. I just ran, and they ran after me."

-------------

Date Posted: 05 November 2009 at 1:05am

Nasrudin took a correspondence course in muscle-building.  When he had finished, he wrote to the firm which supplied it, saying: “I have worked through the lessons.  Now please mail me the muscles.”

-------------

Date Posted: 06 November 2009 at 1:36pm

One evening Nasrudin was stopped by a policeman.

'This is a summons for driving through a "Stop" light.'

Nasrudin said:

'When I go into court, I shall ask for it to be balanced against all the times I have stopped at the "Go" light and never been credited for it.'

-------------

Date Posted: 07 November 2009 at 2:17pm

One day the village teacher told Nasrudin that he had decided to travel across the land to seek additional knowledge. When the young man asked him what kind of people he should look for,  Nasrudin recalled some wise words he had once heard in the bazaar:

He who knows not and knows not that he knows not is a fool. Shun him.

He who knows not and knows that he knows not is a child. Teach him.

He who knows and knows not that he knows is asleep. Awaken him.

He who knows and knows that he knows is wise. Follow him.

Nasrudin paused for a moment and then continued,

" But you know how difficult it is my son, to be sure that the one who knows and knows that he knows ....really knows."

-------------

Date Posted: 09 November 2009 at 4:30am

Nasrudin is sitting among a circle of disciples ,when one of them asks him the relationship between things of this world and things of a different dimension.

Nasrudin says,"You must understand allegory."

The disciple says, "Show me something practical-for instance an apple from Paradise."

Nasrudin picks up an apple and hands it to the man.
"But this apple is bad on one side-surely a heavenly apple would be perfect."

"A celestial apple would be perfect,"says Nasrudin;"but as far as you are able to judge it, situated as we are in this abode of corruption, and with our present faculties, this is as near to a heavenly apple as you will ever get."

-------------

Date Posted: 10 November 2009 at 8:20am

Nasrudin was walking along a lonely road one moonlit night when he heard a snore seemingly directly beneath his feet. Suddenly he experienced fear and was about to flee when he tripped over a dervish lying in a pit which he had dug for himself, partly underground.

"Who are you?" the Mulla stammered.

"I am a dervish, and this is my contemplation place."

Nasrudin replied, "You will have to let me share it. Your snoring frightened me out of my wits, and I cannot continue any further this night."

"Take the other end of this blanket, then," said the dervish without much enthusiasm, "and lie down here. Please be quiet, because I am keeping a vigil. It is a part of a complicated series of exercises. Tomorrow I must change the pattern, and I cannot stand any interruption."

Nasrudin fell asleep for a while. Then he woke up, very thirsty.

"I am thirsty," he told the dervish.

"Then go back down the road, where there is a stream."

"No,I am still afraid." replied Nasrudin.

"I shall go for you then," said the dervish. "After all, to provide water is a sacred obligation in the East."

"No, please don't go for I am still afraid to be alone!"

"Take this knife, to defend yourself then," said the dervish.

While he was away Nasrudin frightened himself still more, working himself up into a frenzy, which he tried to counter by imagining how he would attack any demon who threatened him.

Presently the dervish returned.

"Keep your distance, or "I'll kill you!" said Nasrudin.

"But I am the dervish," said the dervish.

"I don't care who you are-you are maybe a demon in disguise. Besides, you have your head and eyebrows shaved!" The dervishes of that order shave their head and eyebrows.

"But I have come to bring you water! Don't you remember-you are thirsty!"

"Don't try and ingratiate yourself with me, Demon!"

"But that is my hole you are occupying!" said the dervish.

"That's hard luck for you, isn't it? You'll just have to find another one." replied Nasrudin.

"I suppose so," said the dervish, "but I am sure I don't know what to make of all this."

"I can tell you one thing," said Nasrudin, "and that is that fear is multidirectional."

"It certainly seems stronger than thirst, or sanity, or other peoples property," said the dervish.

"AND you don't have to have it yourself in order to suffer from it!" said Nasrudin.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 November 2009 at 2:34pm

Nasrudin was showing a manuscript, which he had written, to a visitor.

This man said: 'But this word has been incorrectly spelt.'

He at once deleted the word and wrote it in the manner of which his guest approved.

When the man left, Nasrudin was asked: 'Why did you do that, considering that the "correction" was in fact inaccurate, and you wrote the wrong word where the original one had been right?'

He answered: 'That was a social occasion. The man thought he was helping me, and thought that the expression of his ignorance was an indication of knowledge. I applied the behaviour of culture and politeness, not the behaviour of truth, because when people want politeness and social interchange, they cannot stand truth. Had I stood in relation to this man as teacher to student, matters would have been different. Only pedants imagine that their duty is to instruct everyone, when the motive of the people is generally not to seek instruction, but to attract attention.'

-------------

Date Posted: 16 November 2009 at 2:54pm

A man was caught in a river current, and hanging on to some rocks to avoid being carried away. Another man saw this, and said, “Give me your hand so I can help you out.” The man in the river heard this, but did not cooperate.

Nasrudin saw this happening. He walked over to the man in the river, and asked, “What do you do for a living?”

“I collect taxes,” the man replied.

“Then take my hand,” Nasrudin said, and the man finally cooperated.

Nasrudin turned to the other man who was watching, and remarked, “Tax collectors speak the language of take, not the language of give.”

-------------

Date Posted: 17 November 2009 at 1:47pm

The Judge asked the defendant, “Mulla Nasrudin, do you understand that you have sworn to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth?”

“I do,” nodded the Mulla.

“Now what do you have to say to defend yourself?”

“Your Honor,‘ replied Nasrudin: ‘under those limitations … I have nothing to say."

-------------

Date Posted: 28 November 2009 at 4:03pm

Mulla Nasruddin was walking along an alleyway one day when a man fell from a roof and landed on top of him.The other man was unhurt-but the Mulla was taken to the hospital.

"What teaching do you infer from this event?",one of his disciples asked him.

"Avoid belief in inevitability, even if cause and effect seem inevitable!Shun theoretical questions like:'If a man falls off a roof will his neck be broken?' He fell - but my neck is broken!"

-------------

Date Posted: 30 November 2009 at 2:51pm

Nasrudin handed a boy a pitcher ,told him to fetch water from a well and gave him a clout on the ear."And mind you don't drop it!"he shouted.

An onlooker said, "How can you strike someone who has done nothing wrong?"

"I suppose ,"said Nasrudin, "that you prefer me to strike him after he has broken the pitcher, when the pitcher and water are both lost? In my way the boy remembers, and the pot and contents are also saved."

-------------

Date Posted: 02 December 2009 at 10:32am

Taking A Shortcut

It was a wonderful morning, and the Mulla was walking home.Why, he thought to himself, should he not take a shortcut through the beautiful woodlands beside the dusty road?

"A day of days, a day for fortunate pursuits!"he exclaimed to himself plunging into the greenery.

Almost at once , he found himself lying at the bottom of a concealed pit.

"It is just as well I took this shortcut," he reflected , as he lay there; "because if things like this can happen in the midst of such beauty-what catastrophe might not have developed on that uncompromisingly tiresome highway?"

-------------

Date Posted: 03 December 2009 at 11:00am

The moon is more useful than the sun

One day, the Mullah's son asked him, "Which is more useful, the sun or the moon."

The Mullah replied, "My son, of course the moon is more useful. It provides us light at night, when it is dark. The sun, alas, shines during the day when there is already light."

-------------

Date Posted: 05 December 2009 at 1:12pm

A disciple went to Nasrudin for advice.

"I am in desperate need of help - or I'll go crazy. We're living in a single room, my wife, my children and my in-laws. So our nerves are on edge, we yell and scream at one another. The room is hell!"

"Do you promise to do whatever I tell you?" said Nasrudin gravely.

"I swear I shall do anything."

"Very well. How many animals do you have?"

"A cow, a goat and six chickens."

"Take them all into the room with you. Then come back after a week."

The disciple was appalled. But he had promised to obey! So he took the animals in. A week later he came back, a pitiable figure moaning, " I'm a nervous wreck. The dirt! The stench! The noise! We're all on the verge of madness!"

"Go back," said Nasrudin, " and put the animals out."

The man ran all the way home. And came back the following day, his eyes sparkling with joy.

"How sweet life is!

The animals are out. The home is a paradise - so quiet and clean and roomy!"

-------------

Date Posted: 06 December 2009 at 2:42pm

A farmer asked Nasrudin whether his olives would bear in that year.

"They will bear," said the Mulla.

"How do you know?"

"I just know, that is all."

Later the same man saw Nasrudin trotting his donkey along a seashore, looking for driftwood.

"There is no wood here, Mulla, I have looked," he called out.

Hours later the same man saw Nasrudin wending his way home, tired out, still without fuel.

"You are a man of perception, who can tell whether an olive tree will bear or not. Why can't you tell whether there is wood on a seashore?"

"I know what must be," said Nasrudin, "but I do not know what may be."

-------------

Date Posted: 07 December 2009 at 1:42pm

An excellent architect lovingly built many beautiful palaces. Eventually he was tired of his labor and went to Nasrudin, the King's Vizier, and asked if he could retire. Nasudin asked the architect to build one last palace. He said, "Money is absolutely no objection. You have one year to build us the best palace possible."

The architect started eagerly but he was exhausted and soon he started to do shoddy work. He cut a corner here and a corner there. After all, this was his last project and no one would notice. When it came to the materials he used cheaper materials since he could not be bothered to search for the best. After all, who would notice? Only he, was the one who could tell the difference. One by one the architect did less than his best. Eventually even though no one else could tell the difference the architect knew that this palace was no where near his best. However, he was still pleased that it was complete and at last he could retire.

The year had passed and the architect presented his substandard work to  Nasrudin.  When the inspection was over, he turned to the architect and said, "You have done well. This is the King's retirement gift to you."

-------------

Date Posted: 09 December 2009 at 2:57pm

Mullah Nasrudin went into a shop to buy a pair of trousers. Then he changed his mind and chose a cloak instead, at the same price. Picking up the cloak he left the shop. "You have not paid," shouted the merchant. "I left you the trousers, which were of the same value as the cloak." "But you did not pay for the trousers either."

"Of course not," said Nasruddin - "why should I pay for something that I did not want to buy?"

-------------

Date Posted: 11 December 2009 at 2:47pm

“Oh, great sage, Nasrudin,” said the eager student, “I must ask you a very important question, the answer to which we all seek:

What is the secret to attaining happiness?”

Nasrudin thought for a time, then responded. 

“The secret of happiness is good judgment.”

“Ah,” said the student.  “But how do we attain good judgment?

“From experience,” answered Nasrudin.

“Yes,” said the student.  “But how do we attain experience?’

“Bad judgment.”

-------------

Date Posted: 14 December 2009 at 7:14pm

A would-be disciple visited the home of Nasrudin.

He was told:

‘You must try to answer a question, if you succeed, I will accept you for teaching in three years’ time.’

The Question was put and the seeker puzzled over it until he had an answer

‘Your answer is correct you may go away for the 1001 days waiting, after which you will be allowed to return here, to receive the Teaching.’

The applicant was delighted. When he thanked Nasrudin , he asked:

‘What would have happened if I had failed to provide the correct answer?’

‘Oh in that case- you would have been admitted immediately!’

-------------

Date Posted: 16 December 2009 at 6:55pm

"That pain in your leg is caused by old age," the doctor told Mulla Nasrudin.

"That can't be," replied the Mulla.

"The other leg is the same age and doesn't hurt a bit."

-------------

Date Posted: 23 December 2009 at 2:27pm

A certain conqueror said to Nasrudin:

"Mulla, all the great rulers of the past had honorific titles with the name of God in them: there was, for instance, God-Gifted, and God-Accepted, and so on.

How about some such name for me?"

"God Forbid," said Nasrudin.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 December 2009 at 5:04pm

On his way from Persia to India, Mulla Nasrudin saw a man selling a small long green fruit which he had never seen before.  Curious, he asked the vendor:  “What is this lovely fruit?” 

“Chillies. Fresh Green Chillies,” said the Vendor. 

Mulla Nasrudin gave the vendor a gold coin and the Vendor was so overjoyed that he gave Nasrudin the full basket of green Chillies.

Mulla Nasrudin sat down under a tree and started to munch the Chillies and   within a few seconds, his mouth was burning. Tears streamed down his cheeks, his nose watered copiously and there was fire his throat.  But, utterly nonchalant, Nasrudin went on eating the chillies and his condition began to get worse and worse.

Seeing his pitiable condition, a passerby asked, “What’s wrong with you? Why don’t you stop eating those hot Chillies?

“May be there is one that is sweet, “Nasrudin answered. “I keep waiting for the sweet one!” Nasrudin said and he kept on eating the fiery Chillies.

On his way back, the passerby saw that Mulla Nasrudin’s condition had become even more terrible, but he kept on eating, and the basket of Chillies was almost empty. 

“Stop at once or you will die.  There are no sweet Chillies!” the passerby shouted at Nasrudin. 

“I cannot stop until I have finished the whole basketful,” Nasrudin said, croaking in agony,

“I have paid for the full basket   I am not eating Chillies anymore.  I am eating my money”.

-------------

Date Posted: 25 December 2009 at 2:40pm

What Has Gone Before

In a dark alleyway an agile pickpocket tried to snatch Mulla Nasrudin's purse. Nasrudin was too quick for him, and there was a violent struggle. Eventually Nasrudin got this man down on the ground.

At this moment a charitable woman passing by called out:

"You bully! Let that little man get up, and give him a chance."

"Madam," panted Nasrudin, "you ignore the trouble which I have had getting him down."

-------------

Date Posted: 26 December 2009 at 5:00pm
THAT'S WHY THEY APPRECIATE IT

'Never give people anything they ask for until at least a day has passed!' said the Mulla.

'Why not, Nasrudin?'

'Experience shows that they only appreciate something when they have had the opportunity of doubting whether they will get it or not.'

-------------

Date Posted: 14 January 2010 at 8:45am

Once, Mullah Nasruddin bought a violin. And he began to play.

NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE....

Same note, same string, over and over.

After a few hours his wife was at her wits' end. "Nasruddin!" she screamed.

NEEE..

Nasruddin put down the bow. "Yes dear?"

"Why do you play the same note? It's driving me crazy! All the real violin players move their fingers up and down, play on different strings! Why don't you play like they do?"

"Well dear, I know why they go up and down and try all different strings."

"Why is that?"

"They're looking for *this* note." And he picked up his bow and resumed his playing.

-------------

Date Posted: 21 January 2010 at 2:19pm

"Nasrudin," a friend said one day, "I am moving to another village. Can I have your ring, so that I will remember you every time I look at it?"

Nasrudin replied, “Well, you might lose the ring and then forget about me. How about I don’t give you a ring in the first place—that way, every time you look at your finger and don’t see a ring, you will definitely remember me.”

-------------

Date Posted: 28 March 2010 at 3:50pm

Once upon a time, Nasruddin went to the marketplace and put up a sign that read,

"Whoever has stolen my donkey, please return it to me and I will give it to them."

- "Nasruddin!", exclaimed the townspeople, "Why did you put up such a sign?"

- "There are two great gifts in life," replied Nasruddin. "One is to find something that you've lost and the other is to give something - that you love - away."

-------------

Date Posted: 04 April 2010 at 7:13pm

The Mulla's donkey ran into the square - at the center of the town - and stopped short. The Mulla fell off. Some young good-for-nothings hanging around pointed at him and laughed. "Why are you laughing? This was foreseen and planned for.

It is plain to see that I am making progress. Just think about it. I used to be there. Now I am here," retorted Nasruddin.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 April 2010 at 6:14pm

"Why are you out wandering the streets in the middle of the night?"

"Sir," replies Nasruddin, "if I knew the answer to that question, I would have been Home hours ago!"

-------------

Date Posted: 03 May 2010 at 9:41am

"Pain," Nasruddin told a respected doctor, "is something one can get used to and live with, without too much trouble."

The satisfied physician nodded gladly - in agreement.

"There is, however, one exception" continued Nasruddin.

"Oh? and what is that?" asked the doctor.

-"When it hurts YOU" replied Nasruddin.

-------------

Date Posted: 19 May 2010 at 5:56pm

THE VALUE OF TRUTH

‘If you want truth’, Nasrudin told a group of Seekers who had come to hear his teachings, ‘you will have to pay for it.’

‘But why should you have to pay for something like truth?’ asked one of the company.

‘Have you noticed’, said Nasrudin, ‘that it is the scarcity of a thing which determines its value?’

-------------

Date Posted: 03 July 2010 at 6:51am

Prudence

The Mulla was invited to a wedding feast. The last time he had been to that house, someone had carried off his sandals. Now, instead of leaving them at the door, he stuffed them into the inner pocket of his coat.

“What book is that in your pocket?” his host asked him.

“He may be after my shoes,” thought Nasrudin; “besides- I have a reputation as a learned man to keep up.” Aloud he said:

“The subject of the bulge which you see is “Prudence.”

“How interesting! Which bookshop did you get it from?”

“As a matter of fact, I got if from a shoemaker.”

-------------

Date Posted: 04 July 2010 at 8:16am

Mullah Nasrudin, standing on the bank of a river, watched as a dog came to drink. The dog saw itself in the water and immediately began to bark. It barked and barked all morning and into the afternoon, until it was foaming at the mouth. Finally, dying of thirst, the dog fell into the river—whereupon it quenched its thirst, climbed out, and happily walked away.

Nasrudin said, “Thus I realized all my life I had been barking at my own reflection.”

-------------

Date Posted: 22 September 2010 at 5:05am

One day, Nasruddin came riding into town. The people stopped him to ask, "Why are you sitting back to front on your donkey?"

He replied,

"I know where I am going, I want to see where I have been."

-------------

Date Posted: 07 November 2010 at 4:55pm

Nasrudin decided to go in search of some new meditation techniques. He saddled his donkey, went to India, China and Mongolia, talked to the great masters, but found nothing.

He heard tell of a wise man in Nepal: he journeyed there, but as he was climbing the mountain to meet him, his donkey died of exhaustion. Nasrudin buried him there and then, and wept sadly. Someone passed by and commented:

- You came in search of a saint, this must be his tomb and you are lamenting his death.

- No, this is the place where I buried my donkey, who died of exhaustion.

- I don’t believe it – said the new arrival. – No one weeps over a dead donkey. This must be a place where miracles occur, and you want to keep them for yourself.

Although Nasrudin explained again and again, it was no use. The man went to the next village and spread the story of a great master who cured people at his tomb, and soon the pilgrims began to arrive.

Gradually, news of the discovery of the Wise Man of Silent Mourning spread throughout Nepal – and crowds rushed to the place. A wealthy man came, thought his prayers had been answered, and built an imposing monument where Nasrudin had buried his “master”.

In view of everything, Nasrudin decided to leave things as they were. But he learned once and for all, that when someone wants to believe a lie, no one can convince him otherwise.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 November 2010 at 9:16am

There was once a small boy who banged a drum all day and loved every moment of it. He would not be quiet, no matter what anyone else said or did. Various people who called themselves Sufis, and other well-wishers, were called in by neighbors and asked to do something about the child.

The first so-called Sufi told the boy that he would, if he continued to make so much noise, perforate his eardrums; this reasoning was too advanced for the child, who was neither a scientist nor a scholar. The second told him that drum beating was a sacred activity and should be carried out only on special occasions. The third offered the neighbors plugs for their ears; the fourth gave the boy a book; the fifth gave the neighbors books that described a method of controlling anger through biofeedback; the sixth gave the boy meditation exercises to make him placid and explained that all reality was imagination. Like all placebos, each of these remedies worked for a short while, but none worked for very long.

Eventually, Nasruddin came along. He looked at the situation, handed the boy a hammer and chisel, and said, “I wonder what is INSIDE the drum?”

-------------

Date Posted: 12 January 2011 at 5:35pm

A man asked Nasruddin to explain the Truth.

In response Nasruddin asked him how he would convey the taste of a mango to someone who had never eaten anything sweet.

No matter how hard the man tried, he could not adequately describe the flavor of the fruit, and, in frustration, he demanded of Nasruddin,

"Tell me then, how would you describe it?"

Nasruddin picked up a mango and handed it to him saying,

"This is very sweet. Try eating it!"

-------------

Date Posted: 18 May 2011 at 8:12am

Who Is To Blame

Mulla Nasruddin and his wife came home one day to find the house burgled. Everything portable had been taken away. "It's all your fault," said his wife, "for you should have made sure that the house was locked before we left."

The Neighbor took up the chant: "You did not lock the windows," said one. "Why did you not expect this?" said another. "The locks were faulty and you did not replace them," said a third.

"Just a moment," said Nasruddin, "surely I am not the only one to blame?"

"And who should we blame?" they shouted. "What about the thieves?" said Nasruddin. "Are they totally innocent?"

-------------

Date Posted: 17 March 2012 at 2:24pm

One day, Mulla Nasruddin went to a fair with his disciples, where people were shooting arrows.

He joined the sport and took the first shot. It fell short. The crowd started laughing. Without losing his calm, the Mulla commented: ''This is what happens when you live with an inferiority complex. You cannot reach the target because your heart is not wholly in it.''

The next arrow surpassed the target. Again the Mulla did not look very distressed. He turned to the audience and said: ''This is what happens to a man who thinks very highly of himself. He runs so fast that he bypasses the goal.''

Mulla Nasrudin then shot the third arrow, hitting the target accurately. He observed: ''This is me!''

-------------

Date Posted: 27 March 2012 at 7:43am

-------------

Date Posted: 28 March 2012 at 9:39am

Nasruddin is looking after an inn, when one day the king comes by with his courtiers. That king asks "Do you have any quail's eggs?" Nasruddin replies "Not at hand but I can go and get some" and the king says "then fine, I will have an omelette of 12 quail's eggs".

Nasruddin rushes out to the village, comes back with the eggs, makes the omelette, and gives it to the king, who eats it with delight. Nasruddin presents him with a bill for 1,000 gold pieces.

The king orders it paid, and asks in puzzlement: "Are quail's eggs really that rare here?"

"No", says Nasruddin. "Quail are common enough. Kings are rare."

-------------

Date Posted: 30 March 2012 at 6:20pm

He said, "My wife has a very bad memory."
And the man asked "Do you mean she forgets everything?"
Mulla Nasruddin said "No, she remembers everything!"

-------------

Posted By: aymanbinmoshi
Date Posted: 03 April 2012 at 1:33am
Well wisher wishes well all the time.Thanks for your well minded memory.
From where you captured those nice words?

Date Posted: 03 April 2012 at 4:44pm
Thank you for the kind words brother Ayman

I like teaching stories and Mulla Nasruddin is a legendary figure in the Muslim world.

I have books that mention such stories and now many are online as well.

A friend came to visit Nasrudin at home bringing a duck, and Nasrudin had it cooked to share with him. The next week someone called by, claiming to be the cousin of the man who had brought the duck. Nasrudin fed him. The week after that someone came claiming to be the friend of the cousin of the man who had brought the duck. Nasrudin fed him too. This continued, with the connection to the friend with the duck becoming more and more remote each time. Finally, when the next friend-of-cousin-of-friend-of-man-with-duck arrived, Nasrudin heated water up in a pot and then served it to the new guest.

"What's this?" said the man, tasting the hot water.

"This," said Nasrudin, "is the soup of the soup of the soup of the duck."

-------------

Date Posted: 04 April 2012 at 12:55pm

Nasruddin opened a restaurant, with a good kitchen, attractive settings and an excellent menu.

One of his friends came along soon afterwards, and said: ‘Why have you not got a sign, like all the other eating-places?  I suggest that you put on it “RESTAURANT: FINEST FOOD”.’

When the sign was painted and put up, another enquirer asked: ‘You have to be more specific-you might mean any old restaurant.  Add the words “SERVED HERE” and your sign will be complete.’

He thought that this was a good idea, and he head the signboard duly altered.

Not long afterwards someone else came along and said: ‘Why do you  put “HERE”?  Surely anyone can see where the place is?’

So he had the sign changed.

Presently a further curious member of the public wanted to know: ‘Do you not know that the word “SERVED” is redundant?  All restaurants and shops serve.  Why not take it out?’

So that word was taken out.

Now another visitor said: ‘If you continue to use the phrase  “FINEST FOOD”, some people will be sure to wonder whether it really is the finest, and some will not agree.  To guard against criticism amd contention, please do remove the word “Finest”.’

And so he did.  Now, just the word “FOOD” was to be seen on the notice, and a sixth inquisitive individual put his head through the doorway.  ‘Why have you got the word “FOOD” on your restaurant: anyone can see that you serve food here.’

So finally he took down the sign. 

As he did so, he could not help wondering when somebody who was hungry, rather than curious or intellectual, would come along…

-------------

Date Posted: 05 April 2012 at 6:25am

“Life: sometimes the man on the saddle, sometimes the saddle on the man.”

-------------

Date Posted: 10 April 2013 at 2:49pm
The Power Of Words

Nasruddin often wandered far off to the countryside. One day, as he passed near a village, he was approached by a woman who felt he was a sage, and told him of a sick child nearby. She beseeched him to help this child. Nasruddin came to the village, and a crowd gathered around him, for such a man was a rare sight. One woman brought the sick child to him, and he said a prayer over her.

“Do you really think your prayer will help her, when medicine has failed?” yelled a man from the crowd.

“You know nothing of such things! You are a stupid fool!” said Nasruddin to the man.

The man became very angry with these words and his face grew hot and red. He was about to say something, or perhaps strike out, when Nasruddin walked over to him and said:

“If one word has such power as to make you so angry and hot, may not another have the power to heal?”

And thus, he healed two people that day.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 May 2013 at 7:30pm

Knowing The Future

Mulla Nasrudin was cutting a branch off a tree in his garden one day. While he was sawing, a man passed by in the street and said, “Excuse me, but if continue to saw that branch like that, you will fall down with it.”

He said this because Nasrudin was sitting Nasrudin said nothing. He thought, “This is some foolish person who has no work to do but go around telling other people what to do and what not to do.”

The man continued on his way. Of course, after a few minutes, the branch fell and Nasrudin fell with it.

“My God!” he cried. “That man knows the future!”

He ran after him to ask how long he was going to live. But the man had already gone.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 July 2013 at 5:12pm

A wizened sage, from beyond Ashsharq, a far-off Eastern land, had arrived in the village. His philosophical expositions were so abstruse and yet so tantalizing that the usual company in the teahouse soon became convinced that he could perhaps unveil for them the mysteries of life.

Nasruddin Hoja listened to him for a while. ‘You know,’ he said, ‘I have had experiences something like yours on your travels. I, too, have been a wandering teacher.’

‘Tell me something about it, if you must,’ said the elder, somewhat ruffled at the interruption.

‘Oh, yes, I must,’ said Nasruddin Hoja. He continued:

‘For instance, there was the trip which I took through Kurdistan. I was welcomed everywhere I went. I stayed at one  lodge after another and the crowd was mesmerized by me. I was given free lodging at caravan-serais (roadside inns), free food at teahouses. Everywhere the people were impressed.’

The old sage was becoming impatient at all this personal publicity. ‘Did nobody ever oppose anything you said, at any time?’ he asked curiously.

‘Oh, yes,’ said Nasruddin Hoja. ‘Once I was beaten up and put in the stocks, then driven out of town.’

‘Why was that?’

‘Well, you see, the people there happened to understand Turkish, the language I was doing my teaching in.’

‘What about the people who had welcomed you?’

‘Oh, they were Kurds; they have a language of their own. I was safe as long as I was with them.’

-------------

Date Posted: 10 September 2013 at 4:08pm

The Noble Kingdom of Nasruddin

Nasruddin, deep in thought, was walking down a road near the palace when he bumped into a man.

The man got very angry and began shouting at Nasruddin.

“Do you know who I am!”, he screamed. “I am the king’s advisor in his court!”

“That is nice”, said Nasruddin . “As for me I am King,” he added.

“A King?” asked the man. “Over which country do you rule?”

“I rule over myself,” replied Nasruddin.

“I am the master of my passions. You would never find me losing my temper as you just did.”

The man apologized for his behaviour, and walked away feeling ashamed of himself.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 January 2014 at 2:33pm
Instant Reading

“A certain famous Fakir was claiming in the village that he could teach an illiterate person to read by a lightning technique. Nasrudin stepped out of the crowd: 'Very well, teach me – now.' The Fakir touched the Mulla's forehead, and said: 'Now go home immediately and read a book.' Half an our later Nasrudin was back in the market-place, clutching a book. The Fakir had gone on his way. 'Can you read now, Mulla?' the people asked him. 'Yes, I can read – but that is not the point. Where is that charlatan?' 'How can he be a charlatan if he has caused you to read without learning?' 'Because this book, which is authoritative, says: “All Fakirs are frauds”.”

― Idries Shah, Caravan of Dreams

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums version 8.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2006 Web Wiz Guide - http://www.webwizguide.info