Print Page | Close Window

Lost Suras and verses not in the Quran

Printed From: WhyIslam.org
Category: WhyIslam
Forum Name: Questions and Discussions about Islam
Forum Discription: For question and general discussion about Islam. Open to all members.
URL: http://www.whyislam.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=32223
Printed Date: 21 April 2019 at 12:52pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 8.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Lost Suras and verses not in the Quran
Posted By: Done
Subject: Lost Suras and verses not in the Quran
Date Posted: 19 August 2017 at 4:50pm
Are there any lost Suras or verses that was not included in the Quran like this one?

200 Verses Accidentally Lost From Surah Ahzab 33?

Ubayy bin Ka'b asked people around him,How many verses originally in 33rd chapter of the Quran Surah Ahzab unintentionally got lost forever.

How many verses do you count in Surah Ahzab they replied 72 verses.

Ubayy said to them Surah Ahzab used to contain the same number of verses as Surah Baqarah over 280 verses.

Replies:
Posted By: The_Rock
Date Posted: 19 August 2017 at 6:12pm
You are not going to get anywhere with this with muslims.

To them God protected the Quran in the Quran.

Since the Quran is the Truth because The Quran is from God, and we know this because God told us this in the Quran.

Then any account to the contrary is not true.

Posted By: Doris
Date Posted: 19 August 2017 at 8:42pm
a very scholarly system. I wonder if it could be used in other venues. Product advertising for example, or scientific research.

-------------
History Buff

Posted By: Al-Cordoby
Date Posted: 20 August 2017 at 3:06am
Originally posted by Done

Are there any lost Suras or verses that was not included in the Quran like this one?

Ubayy bin Ka'b asked people around him,How many verses originally in 33rd chapter of the Quran Surah Ahzab unintentionally got lost forever.

Ubayy said to them Surah Ahzab used to contain the same number of verses as Surah Baqarah over 280 verses.

What is your reference for this story?

-------------
Think Win-Win for a better world for all...

http://cortoby.blogspot.com/ - My Blog
http://www.muslimheritage.com/ - Muslim Heritage

Date Posted: 20 August 2017 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by Al-Cordoby

What is your reference for this story?

It is reported from Ismail Ibn Ibrahim fro Ayyub from Naafi from Ibn Umar who said: Let none say I have the whole Quran.

How does he know what all of it is when much of the Quran disappeared?Rather let him say I have acquired what has svived.

Reference: as- Suyuti,Al Itqan fii Ulum al Quran,p.524.

In Sahih Muslim 2286:Abu Musa called 300 Basra reciters who were the best and they said We used to recite a surah but we have forgotten it.

Aisha says during the time of the Prophet the chapter of Parties used to be 200 verses when read When Uthman edited the copies of the Quran only the current verses were recorded 73.

Date Posted: 21 August 2017 at 3:41am

It is reported from Ismail Ibn Ibrahim fro Ayyub from Naafi from Ibn Umar who said: Let none say I have the whole Quran.

How does he know what all of it is when much of the Quran disappeared?Rather let him say I have acquired what has svived.

OK, you may have heard of the term (naskh) in the Qur'an?

1- Naskh means abrogation, and abrogation is mentioned in the Qur'an.

God says in verse (2:106):

"We do not abrogate a verse or cause it to be forgotten except that We bring forth [one] better than it or similar to it. Do you not know that Allah is over all things competent?"
http://quran.com/2/106 -
https://quran.com/2/106

2- Unlike the Torah which was revealed from God to Prophet Moses, peace be upon him, all at once, God revealed the Qur'an to Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him, through Angel Gabriel over a duration of 23 years.

3- During these 23 years, some rulings which God commanded in the early years of the revelation were abrogated before the end (i.e. before the last Ramadan when Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him, revised the whole Qur'an twice with Angel Gabriel).

4- Abrogated verses were therefore no longer part of the Qur'an, if they were not included in the last revision in the last month of Ramadan before Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him, passed away.

5- Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him, memorized the Qur'an and used to recite them to his scribes who wrote them down after their revelation.

6- In addition to this writing, the companions of the Prophet would themselves memorize the verses revealed by heart: so now we had three ways to check and double check the Qur'an: what the Prophet himself memorized directly from Angel Gabriel, what the scribes wrote down and what the companions had memorized from the Prophet.

7- When certain verses were abrogated, the prophet would inform his scribes and the companions who memorized the Qur'an of the changes conveyed to him by Angel Gabriel.

8- In the last month of Ramadan before he passed away, Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him, revised the whole Qur'an twice with Angel Gabriel, and his companions memorized from him this final version of the Qur'an revelation, and the scribes wrote it down.

Abrogated verses, like the ones you mentioned from Surah Al-Ahzab and others, were excluded.

9- This final revision of the Qur'an was to become the written version of Qur'an manuscript which Uthman ibn Affan distributed to Muslims in different cities.

Would you be interested to know the details of how this process took place?  

-------------

Posted By: Traveller
Date Posted: 21 August 2017 at 7:40am
Hi Done.

We have the complete Quran. This is not faith talking but knowledge. To say the Quran is from God is faith talking, in comparison.

How do we know we have the complete Quran? Through a simple method put in place by our prophet and this method will only grow stronger each day, and we have had more than 1430+ years already. This method is known as memorization. If you understand the mechanism of that method, you will know why we can safely say we have the complete Quran today.

Thank you.

-------------
In life, be like a traveller. Take only what you need

Date Posted: 21 August 2017 at 8:14am
Traveller how do you know the method you have originated with Muhammad. Who told you that?

Date Posted: 21 August 2017 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by The_Rock

Traveller how do you know the method you have originated with Muhammad. Who told you that?

Hey man.

The Prophet made the Muslims memorized the Quran, incentivized them to memorize the Quran.

-------------

Date Posted: 21 August 2017 at 12:38pm
Yes, but how do you know this? What is your source?

Date Posted: 21 August 2017 at 11:51pm

I don't get your question.

-------------

Date Posted: 22 August 2017 at 3:46am

Anyhow, we will find plenty in the Hadith the prophet telling us to memorize the Quran or the rewards that come with it. That's what I mean by the prophet incentivizing us to be a hafiz, the one who memorized the Quran.

We can take 10 hafiz today, lock them up in a room and task them to produce the Quran, giving them nothing but blank papers and pens. In less than a week, they will have the Quran and you will see that it will be exactly identical.

I'm sure you've heard Muslims saying "God protects the Quran from corruption". That's not just talk. We can show you how too. The prophet put a simple method in place and it has guarded the Quran ever since.

Btw, the word for the memorizers, 'hafiz' in Arabic, means 'guard' or 'protector'.

-------------

Date Posted: 22 August 2017 at 4:16am
Ah so you know this from Hadith?

Is that the same source that says the Quran was lost?

Date Posted: 22 August 2017 at 4:34am

Ah so you know this from Hadith?

Is that the same source that says the Quran was lost?

What was spoken in that Hadith is for scholars to interpret.

We should look at what we have today with us, the Quran and the Hafiz. Both tangibles. Use both to determine the pristineness of the Quran.

-------------

Date Posted: 22 August 2017 at 7:51am
i think it’s quite plain for everyone to see. No need for a scholar to understand what is said there.

Date Posted: 22 August 2017 at 8:32am

i think it’s quite plain for everyone to see. No need for a scholar to understand what is said there.

Are you thinking they spoke in English.

-------------

Date Posted: 22 August 2017 at 10:21am
I'm not sure what your point is. We are reading a translation. If nothing can be translated, why bother?

Date Posted: 22 August 2017 at 10:35am
Hadith is not for you or for me. It's not for the common people. This is the reason why the Church at first did not allow the common people to read the Bible.

Our Hadiths didn't come from God. It didn't come from the prophet even. It is not meant for you and me. I will leave it to the scholars. It's their domain.

The Quran is from God and it is meant for you and I. We are the intended target audience. It's tangible.

I want to stick to just the Quran for now, between the two of us.

-------------

Date Posted: 22 August 2017 at 10:44am
I'm not sure how you can use the Quran to validate the completeness of the Quran.

That's not possible.

You can't say the Quran is complete because the Quran says it is complete.

Date Posted: 22 August 2017 at 11:20am
I mentioned two things Rock.

1. Memorizers
2. Science of recitation

-------------

Date Posted: 22 August 2017 at 11:45am
Are you guys catching the solar eclipse?

I'm on the opposite side of the hemisphere and it's night time now. No sun. :D

-------------

Date Posted: 22 August 2017 at 12:03pm
I don't see how either of these things verifies completeness.

Memorizers validate consistency, and to a common source accuracy.

But you cannot say with any certainty that the Quran is complete.

You havent produced any evidence of that.

Date Posted: 22 August 2017 at 12:05pm
I don't know what the science of recitation even begins to mean.

I suspect that science does not mean anything to you in your culture and you use the term to give it validity.

I believe you mean the "knowledge" of recitation?

I can't be sure since you use the word in a manner with which I am unfamiliar.

Date Posted: 22 August 2017 at 12:21pm

I don't see how either of these things verifies completeness.

Memorizers validate consistency, and to a common source accuracy.

But you cannot say with any certainty that the Quran is complete.

You havent produced any evidence of that.

The institution of the memorizers was started by the prophet. And once it has started at the time of the prophet, it will do the job and still be doing it till today.

No gaps or interruptions in the timeline.

That's how we can be certain we have the complete Quran. The memorizers.

As for the science of recitation. It is the precise rules of recitation that reciters of the Quran will be able to tell you about. With this, we are able to automatically and immediately detect an error.

You know what Rock? You should go for a Quranic recitation class. Learn the alphabets and the basic rules of recitation. This will make you understand why we Muslims have 100% faith in matters regarding the Quran, namely it's pristineness.

-------------

Date Posted: 22 August 2017 at 1:14pm
I suggest you look up the word science to understand what it means.

I suspect you are translating the word ilm - and in this case ilm is not science.

Date Posted: 22 August 2017 at 1:15pm
It is getting tedious to reiterate this - How do you know that the institution of memorizers was started by the prophet?

From where are you drawing this information? What is the source?

Date Posted: 22 August 2017 at 1:24pm

It is getting tedious to reiterate this - How do you know that the institution of memorizers was started by the prophet?

From where are you drawing this information? What is the source?

Now you're going into faith. Remember I mentioned to you earlier what comes from faith and what comes from knowledge?

To say the Quran came from God via the prophet is faith.

-------------

Date Posted: 22 August 2017 at 1:28pm
No, Im asking you how do you know that the Quran you have is what Muhammad recited?

Date Posted: 22 August 2017 at 1:33pm

No, Im asking you how do you know that the Quran you have is what Muhammad recited?

The memorizers of course.

The first memorizers were people of the time of the prophet. They were the ones who produced the very mushaf (a complete written Quran) we still have today.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 August 2017 at 9:54am
Yes but we dont know how the memorizing of the quran started.

Date Posted: 23 August 2017 at 10:14am

Yes but we dont know how the memorizing of the quran started.

When they wanted to produce the very first mushaf in the 7th century, where do you think was the source?

Yes, the memorizers.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 August 2017 at 10:16am
The Quran started off as an oral recitation, memorized by people.

It didn't start off as a written book.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 August 2017 at 11:31am
Whilst it is a recitation, the population had memorized only bits and pieces.

In fact one verse came from only one man, who was judged to have the testimony of 2.

He could have made up anything, so no one can say the quran is complete.

Date Posted: 23 August 2017 at 1:14pm
We have people as young as 12 memorizing the entire Quran.

It is not uncommon for people to memorize the entire book.

Your skepticism with that one man story can be explained by a scholar.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 August 2017 at 1:54pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgKn_OaDOHI

You should probably check this out.

Date Posted: 24 August 2017 at 2:28pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgKn_OaDOHI

You should probably check this out.

David Wood? He is a psycho, clinically diagnosed. He tried to kill his father with a hammer.

He seems to have a thing against Islam.

Anyhow, all his arguments have been refuted by Muslims. It's all over the internet.

Any verse or thing of interest to you from David Wood's video?

-------------

Date Posted: 24 August 2017 at 3:13pm
Well one thing to note is the Hadith about the goat eating the sura.

And the fact that the breast feeding verses are no longer in the Quran.

Date Posted: 25 August 2017 at 1:52am

The Hadiths are not meant for you and I. I have said that. The Hadiths are important research materials for our scholars. It was collected, collated, categorized and classified by them. It is their domain. There are hundreds of thousands of them so you and I are not able to grasp it with complete understanding. It's a slippery slope for us to be on.

The Quran is for you and me. We believe it is from God. Because you have just read what I have just said, you are now obligated to study it without prejudice and failing to do so may be used against you on That day in court. You may be asked, "Didn't Traveller said to you on that day .... so why didn't you at least make an effort to study it?".

Do you know Rock, that you too must have the same 5 articles of faith found in the Quran?

-------------

Posted By: ishammad
Date Posted: 25 August 2017 at 3:25am

Not sura, Ayisha's saying mentioned two verses, these were judgement concerning two particular issues.

These were already memorized. I have just read that there is abrogation of the recitation but not the ruling, and abrogation of both.
---------------------------------------------

This may also be relevant:

Clarification of Hadith about the Suckling of a Grown Man:

"He (Salim) had been brought up and raised by Abu Hudhayfa and his wife as their own son. When the verse of the Qur’an “Call them (your adopted children) by (the names of) their (real) fathers….”Surah al-Ahzab, V: 5) was revealed, the ruling of adopting children was abrogated (in that one can no longer consider an adopted son to be one’s own). However, Salim continued to reside and enter the house of Sahla (the wife of Abu Hudhayfa) as he was a minor. When he grew old and came close to puberty, both Abu Hudhayfa and Sahla disliked the idea of him entering freely upon Sahla, but they found it difficult to mention this to him, given the fact that he had lived with them (and was brought up by them), hence they asked the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) regarding this..."

"The above clearly illustrates that Salim was adopted by Abu Hudhayfa and his wife Sahla. He had lived with them and was raised and brought up by them since childhood. However, Islam does not recognize legal adoption and a adopted child is not considered a real child, hence after reaching puberty, the rules of Hijab are applicable. It became very difficult for Salim to live with his adoptive mother due to this rule, thus the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) advised Sahla to make Salim drink her breast-milk, whereby the rules of Hijab would be lifted.

"It is narrated in the Tabaqat of Ibn Sa’d and elsewhere that Sahla would pour her breast-milk into a utensil each day for five continuous days and Salim would drink from it. He did not directly drink from the breast of Sahla, as it is not permitted to expose one’s awra in front of a non-Mahram adult let alone have him suckled" ...

"Due to the above narrations, all four Sunni schools of Islamic law are in agreement that suckling and breastfeeding will only be considered (i.e. in effecting the rules of marriage and Hijab) if it takes place in the period designated for it, and it is of no significance after that period." ...

"Thus, in conclusion, it is not permitted for an adult to intentionally drink breast-milk; neither will it have any bearing on the rules of Hijab and marriage. The companion Salim (Allah be pleased with him) was given a special dispensation by the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) to drink the milk of Sahla, the wife of Abu Hudhayfa, due to the special circumstances of their case. However, Salim did not directly drink the milk from the breast of Sahla, rather, she would pour the milk in a utensil and he would drink from it."

[Mufti] Muhammad ibn Adam
Darul Iftaa (Institute of Islamic Jurisprudence)
Leicester , UK

http://islamqa.org/hanafi/daruliftaa/8424/clarification-of-hadith-about-the-suckling-of-a-grown-man - Clarification of Hadith about the Suckling of a Grown Man

-------------
Exalted is your Lord, the Lord of might, above what they describe. And peace upon the messengers. And praise to Allah, Lord of the worlds. 37:180-182

Date Posted: 25 August 2017 at 6:36am
Originally posted by Traveller

Hi Done.

We have the complete Quran. This is not faith talking but knowledge. To say the Quran is from God is faith talking, in comparison.

How do we know we have the complete Quran? Through a simple method put in place by our prophet and this method will only grow stronger each day, and we have had more than 1430+ years already. This method is known as memorization. If you understand the mechanism of that method, you will know why we can safely say we have the complete Quran today.

Thank you.

How can you say its complete some of the Suras were lost and the other reciters forgot and the other reciters lost their lives in battle now where do you draw the by means of complete.

If I only give you only a torso of a body does mean the body is complete.

Date Posted: 25 August 2017 at 11:42am

OK, you may have heard of the term (naskh) in the Qur'an?

1- Naskh means abrogation, and abrogation is mentioned in the Qur'an.

God says in verse (2:106):

"We do not abrogate a verse or cause it to be forgotten except that We bring forth [one] better than it or similar to it. Do you not know that Allah is over all things competent?"
http://quran.com/2/106 -
https://quran.com/2/106

2- Unlike the Torah which was revealed from God to Prophet Moses, peace be upon him, all at once, God revealed the Qur'an to Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him, through Angel Gabriel over a duration of 23 years.

3- During these 23 years, some rulings which God commanded in the early years of the revelation were abrogated before the end (i.e. before the last Ramadan when Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him, revised the whole Qur'an twice with Angel Gabriel).

4- Abrogated verses were therefore no longer part of the Qur'an, if they were not included in the last revision in the last month of Ramadan before Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him, passed away.

5- Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him, memorized the Qur'an and used to recite them to his scribes who wrote them down after their revelation.

6- In addition to this writing, the companions of the Prophet would themselves memorize the verses revealed by heart: so now we had three ways to check and double check the Qur'an: what the Prophet himself memorized directly from Angel Gabriel, what the scribes wrote down and what the companions had memorized from the Prophet.

7- When certain verses were abrogated, the prophet would inform his scribes and the companions who memorized the Qur'an of the changes conveyed to him by Angel Gabriel.

8- In the last month of Ramadan before he passed away, Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him, revised the whole Qur'an twice with Angel Gabriel, and his companions memorized from him this final version of the Qur'an revelation, and the scribes wrote it down.

Abrogated verses, like the ones you mentioned from Surah Al-Ahzab and others, were excluded.

9- This final revision of the Qur'an was to become the written version of Qur'an manuscript which Uthman ibn Affan distributed to Muslims in different cities.

Would you be interested to know the details of how this process took place?  

What about the missing Suras and verses? not even to talk about the verses that was abrogated.
If this was CASE Allah send Gabriel ( Jibrill ) in most events, angels do not gave their names, even if someone ask them, I think it was Warraqa one Muhammad's friends who assumed it was Gabriel that that gave Muhammad his first revelation, then he got stuck with name Gabriel in his mind.

First Allah.
Second Gabriel.
Third Muhammad.
Forth The reciters.
This doesn't ad up ,Why haven't Allah, Gabriel intervene?Why the need for reciters.

If you have a missing link in the chain the chain is broken...

However 800 hafizes were in the battle of Yamama right.

Immeditly after Muhammad's death many of the Arab tribes who were Islamized because of his acts terror against them,apostacised  immediately after his death.

With about 40,000 men under Musaylimah's command crushed two muslim armies before Khalid ibn al Walid overcame him with a third.

During the ensuing slaughter,enough reciters of the Quran died to endanger the perpetuation of the sacred book.

There exists, unfortunately,within the Muhammadan community,a major fallacy which has been circulating amongst their public in regards to the Quran.

The other fact concerning the preservation of the sacred texts led us to the 40,000 man under Musaylimah's command who  all of them were ex muslims who apostacise after Muhammad's death,the question lay they were also reciters of the Quran by heart or weren't it a big issue cause they rebelled against Islam or have that Suras just disapeared  through thin air and nobody have the concern of taking any notition of the vanishing of away of the lost sacred texts of the QURAN . 

Why did Allah or Gabriel kept silent about this?

Date Posted: 25 August 2017 at 12:09pm
The final version of the Qur'an was revised twice with Angel Gabriel, Done, in the last month of Ramadan, before the Prophet, peace be upon him, passed away.

That final revision is what we have today, and God's Final Revelation which He has protected from man-made changes, as it is His final guidance to all of humanity till the end of life on earth.

No need to repeat it all again.

Peace and all the best

-------------

Date Posted: 26 August 2017 at 2:31am

The final version of the Qur'an was revised twice with Angel Gabriel, Done, in the last month of Ramadan, before the Prophet, peace be upon him, passed away.

That final revision is what we have today, and God's Final Revelation which He has protected from man-made changes, as it is His final guidance to all of humanity till the end of life on earth.

Peace and all the best

No no thats not real it was done after Muhammad passed away Gabriel did not recite it to Uthman what about the reciters who died?

You must read my comments and give me a clear and correct answer do not go on traditions reports which was not authentic  

Date Posted: 26 August 2017 at 5:14am

Peace and all the best

Where is that final version of the Quran?

As virtullay all the earliest Quran codices and fragments can no be dated earlier than 150 years after Muhammad die it would seem most improbable that portions of the Quran copied out at Uthman's direction should have servived, least  of all whole codices or substantial sections thereof.

Muslim writers often claims that Uthmanic manuscripts still exist.as the Muslim dogma that the Quran has been perfectly preserved by divine decree is based not on evidences or facts but purely on popular sentiment,so it should not surprise a student of the early text of the Quran to find that this sentiment is often buttressed by claims that proof of the perfection of the text can be found in actual Uthamanic codices still in existence.

During the time of the Abbasid empire,we find it said the copies made under Uthman's supervision,the one sent to Mecca was destroyed by fire while those commissioned for Medina and Kufa were lost irretrievably.Only the copy destined to Damascus was said to have survived,it being preserved at Malatja the time.There are some conflicting claims that it is was also lost.

All the references one finds in Muslim records to the destiny of those early codices are sketchy,incomplete and of contradictory.

Date Posted: 26 August 2017 at 6:22am

Peace and all the best

Where is that final version of the Quran?

No need to repeat it all again cause you can't explain the real truth.

Date Posted: 26 August 2017 at 6:39am

Where is that final version of the Quran?No need to repeat it all again cause you can't explain the real truth.

In the hearts of the Muslims.

That is where the Quran resides on this earth, not some paper. The paper was only intended as a conveyor.

A few hundred Muslims had the entire Quran in their hearts, at the time of the prophet. We only need about 10 of them to produce a written Quran, the more the better of course. Even today, we can do it easily.

I'm sure you've heard that the Quran is the only book that can be reproduced from the hearts of men with 100% accuracy.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 August 2017 at 8:12am
Originally posted by Traveller

Where is that final version of the Quran?No need to repeat it all again cause you can't explain the real truth.

In the hearts of the Muslims.

That is where the Quran resides on this earth, not some paper. The paper was only intended as a conveyor.

A few hundred Muslims had the entire Quran in their hearts, at the time of the prophet. We only need about 10 of them to produce a written Quran, the more the better of course. Even today, we can do it easily.

I'm sure you've heard that the Quran is the only book that can be reproduced from the hearts of men with 100% accuracy.

No No don't come to chicken feed me I want to know where Gabriel's Quran the final blue print YOU CAN NOT MUMBLE JUMBLE SOMETHING TO SOMEONE AND SAY THIS IS THE REAL THING.

THE FACTS THE FACTS IF I SAID TO YOU I HAVE A POT OF GOLD I MUST SHOW YOU BEFORE YOU BELIEVE ME RIGHT OR WRONG.

100% ACCURACY I WILL SHOW YOU WHAT IS 100% ACCURACY 

Date Posted: 26 August 2017 at 9:28am
Your questions have been answered, Done, and a further proof is you can go to any Muslim country in the East or the West, and you will find one version of the Qur'an memorized by hundreds of millions of Muslims for the last 14th. century.

That is God's final guidance to humanity...

Peace

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums version 8.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2006 Web Wiz Guide - http://www.webwizguide.info